Notices

Day 200 - still PAWS

Old 05-12-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 200 - still PAWS

Today marks 200 sober days.

Still got PAWS type symptoms - last week I felt great and was thinking I was out of the woods and then BAM yesterday I woke up feeling like I did during the first few months of sobriety.

Of course those feelings then start to mess with my head so today the anxiety is lingering - I was at an AA meeting this morning and out to lunch with my sponsors and I was feeling mighty rough.

But this too shall pass - must not get wrapped up in the downward spiral of anxiety.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I read PAWS can last 2 years.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah ride it out and push on through. I probably had PAWS for the first year or more technically speaking. Now i probably just suffer from a condition known as "life" lol i just gotta push on through and keep on going.

the ups and downs tho kinda get better in time. the peeks and valleys get smoother less steep less often it'll lighten up.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 200 days Doug. As we know, "PAWS" is really just a collection of possible symptoms that one may or may not have at unknown times in our recovery - so i'm very glad to see that you are looking at some of the core issues themselves ( anxiety, AV ). Addressing the causes of the symptoms is the best way to attack this and I think you did all the right things by coming here to talk about it and also talking about it at your meeting.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
under new management

I don't know if I had PAWS per say but during my first whole year, I was kind of a train wreck.

In my second year, things really improved for me.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am almost two years sober and I had paws symptoms throughout my recovery. Relapses, even those lasting only a day, made the condition more severe. Keep on going and you will feel better.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice work on your 200 days!! That's awesome!!

Doug,

When was the last time you've been to the doctor and had a full blown physical? Blood work, stress test etc?? Just couroius? If you haven't been in the last 12 months I'd go get checked out..

I never went to the doctor when I was younger but I found a doctor I really like that's my age and I've been getting a full blown physical every year around my birthday! Not sure of your age but it's good for me to know where I'm at..

Again, great job on your time, 1 year is right around the corner!!!
Old 05-12-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Daves advice is good

Congrats on 200 days Doug

D
Old 05-12-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dave42001 View Post
When was the last time you've been to the doctor and had a full blown physical? Blood work, stress test etc??

My last drink was 10/24/2016 and I went to my doctor on 10/27/2016 to get checked out because I was suffering from severe anxiety and depression. I had blood work done also.

I do have an appointment to see my doctor on May 23rd for my annual physical.

I am 53 and I only started going to the doctor on a regular basis about 5 or 6 years ago. At that time I wasn't feeling good and I found out my blood pressure was super high. I am on meds for high blood pressure.

Thanks for your concern.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
Today marks 200 sober days.

Still got PAWS type symptoms - last week I felt great and was thinking I was out of the woods and then BAM yesterday I woke up feeling like I did during the first few months of sobriety.

Of course those feelings then start to mess with my head so today the anxiety is lingering - I was at an AA meeting this morning and out to lunch with my sponsors and I was feeling mighty rough.

But this too shall pass - must not get wrapped up in the downward spiral of anxiety.
I just hit 6 months last week and have suffered from horrible anxiety which finally started to fade away a couple of weeks ago, and I started to get really excited as my 6 months came as I also was thinking I was finally rid of this thing and could move on.

Now this whole week I have been extremely tired, I can't concentrate, my memory is shot, it is extremely frustrating because I thought I was done with this.

Does PAWS ever peak? It would really help to know if this is bad as it's gonna get, or is it gonna get worse?

If your having trouble with anxiety, I have a couple of E-Books that really helped me. If you want I can PM them to you
Old 05-12-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm a couple years behind you! That's great you're going in so soon!! Could be something as simple as adjusting your meds..

Again, kudos on your time, keep working it!! Have a great weekend, Doug!
Old 05-12-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I read that it peaks around 6 months. I was also extremely tired, stressed, trouble thinking, sugar cravings peaked, ect. But I was also going thru a stressful situation so hard to tell if it was PAWs.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
I read that it peaks around 6 months. I was also extremely tired, stressed, trouble thinking, sugar cravings peaked, ect. But I was also going thru a stressful situation so hard to tell if it was PAWs.
That's what I read as well, I think it just helps to know that's what it is so mentally you can just push through it. Not trying to hijack the thread here, just saying I can relate and was wondering about that
Old 05-12-2017, 09:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
under new management

Also, congrats on 200 days, Doug!!! That's really fantastic!

Old 05-12-2017, 11:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on 200 days, Doug! Sounds like you're doing all the right things.

I had the same experience where it felt like the PAWS-type symptoms were driving negative thoughts, as opposed to negative thoughts driving the PAWS-type symptoms.

Even on those days when you wake up feeling like it's Day One again and are inclined to be demoralized about the whole thing, try to remember that it WILL get better with time.

Hang in there!
Old 05-13-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Changing

is there anywhere i can read more about "paws" including symptoms - thnx
Old 05-13-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiffanyeagle View Post
https://drunkydrunkgirl.wordpress.co...aws-will-fall/

https://www.discoveryplace.info/post...-syndrome-paws

http://alcoholrehab.com/addiction-re...awal-symptoms/
Old 05-13-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think I have a whole lot of the cluster of symptoms that go t make up PAWS kindling not withstanding.

Just as the previous poster said and who only has to have one day on the stuff and the symptoms get worse, every single time. That's how it is for me.

Hail sobriety!
Old 05-13-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by tiffanyeagle View Post
The list of potential symptoms of "PAWS" is pretty much anything to be honest. PAWS itself is not a diagnosable condition from either a medical or mental health standpoint. It's simply a term that the recovery community has adopted to somehow explain why addicts in general have waves of unexpected/unexplained symptoms after the initial (acute) phase.

The best solution to the wide range of symptoms that some experience during "PAWS" is to treat the source. If you feel depressed, you should seek help for depression. If you have physical symptoms like fatigue or pain, one should seek help for that via a medical doctor or lifestyle changes. And so on....

Another component a lot of people overlook if that some times we are just going to have bad days. Many of the commonly described "PAWS" symptoms are just regular parts of life itself. As addicts we tend to seek instant relief....hence our alcohol and drug use. It simply takes time or learn that we aren't always going to feel "great" all the time.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My PAWS is generally in the form of anxiety and panic. If I am in a stressful situation or worried about something I will feel a sense of depersonalization/derealization and start to feel like I am going to freak out.

I have gotten pretty good at calming myself down - but if I get too caught up in the sensations it is sometimes hard to cope.

During my years of drinking I would use alcohol to fight the anxiety - but we all know that only makes anxiety worse in the long run.