Notices

Grad School Fear

Old 03-24-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grad School Fear

I've submitted my application for grad school and admitted my DUI arrest. I have not been convicted or attended court. The acceptance rate is 49%. I'm afraid that I won't be accepted. I'm not an alcoholic. I simply made a mistake. Do you think that I'll be accepted?
Old 03-24-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you are honest and show some insight into what happened and why, genuine remorse and don't seem to be denying/justifying any problems....I predict you'll have a much much better chance of being accepted.

P
Old 03-24-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Actually, I've been told it's better for someone who gets a DUI to admit they have a problem and agree to go to AA. Don't have personal experience with it, but that's what I've been told. The grad school will also likely be more accepting if you own up to it and say you're doing something about it. Every person who's ever gotten a DUI says something along the lines of "I never do this, it was one time etc"

I'm not saying that's not the case for you, but I wouldn't try to explain it away. It won't be a deal breaker necessarily!
Old 03-24-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm extremely nervous and I can't seem to live a normal life without regretting the incident. I can't believe the effect this may have on the rest of myvlife
Old 03-24-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Listen, lots of people have gotten DUIs and go on to live successful lives! Just show that youve learned from it :-)
Old 03-24-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I know many, many people who have had Dui's over the years. Some are grateful for a wake up call that didn't result in very serious injury to themselves or others. I am not judging mind you - I could have been in that group 100 + times certainly.

Fear is a common trait we must learn how to deal with or it can destroy us. The fear of what might happen but never really does can be debilitating. Accepting the consequences for may actions was part of how I deal with fear today.

We all make mistakes. Try not to repeat them and move on - life will continue, I promise.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
I know many, many people who have had Dui's over the years. Some are grateful for a wake up call that didn't result in very serious injury to themselves or others. I am not judging mind you - I could have been in that group 100 + times certainly.

Fear is a common trait we must learn how to deal with or it can destroy us. The fear of what might happen but never really does can be debilitating. Accepting the consequences for may actions was part of how I deal with fear today.

We all make mistakes. Try not to repeat them and move on - life will continue, I promise.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi BW

I'm in Australia obviously but I've never heard of anyone here being rejected for grad school on the basis of a DUI and I worked in that sector for several years.

Try not and let the fear run rampant

D