Notices

Back to square one

Old 03-24-2017, 02:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I believe it is important to look at the whole picture, all the ingredients of the recipe if you like.

A rehab is not a factory. Most will claim a success rate, usually looking out a year or so, of anywhere between 2% and 50%. But the actual outcome for the individual will depend also on the individual concerned, and what he or she does in the way of following the rehab program, and sticking to the long term care plan, whatever that may be.

Going to rehab is not a guarantee of success in itself. It ought to be, Usually when you go to hospital, you come out cured, so it is easy to see why we might think that would be the case with rehab. But for alcoholism, there is no cure as such. A rehab can provide many useful resources and techniques to deal with all kinds of issues, they can bring about a good deal of physical improvement and so forth, but they don't have any special powers. They can't fix someone who is half hearted about the process, they can't furnish the necessary motivation to stay quit. That has to come from the individual. It is very much about attitude and willingness.

When I first read the op, I thought of a man I met in a rehab we call the Hotel California. It was his 13th rehab. He is dead now, died drunk. When I was last in New Zealand, a desperate case managed to borrow enough money to go to a good rehab, but didn't stick with the after care plan. She can't afford to go back to the rehab, she has a big debt, and still cannot stay sober. She wasn't really all that committed to recovery. She had a nice time in rehab, but the willigness to stick with the plan just wasn't there. So her mother is out of pocket for no real gain.

These are things to think about when people who love us offer to help. Are we going to do our part, which will involve a good deal of discomfort and inconvenience, or will it end up being a waste of someone elses money?
Old 04-07-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I didn't bother borrowing money from my sister. I persuaded my dr to prescribe diazepam for a home detox. He wanted me to stop at a relatives or friends house and for them to look after the meds and give them to me.

I've been sober 3 days and tomorrow will start tapering the medication. I'm not allowed out for a week so can't go to any AA meetings yet. I've also been reffered to see a psychologist.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like a good start Doubter. Hope you can stick with the plan, congrats on 3 days.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Doubter View Post

I've been sober 3 days and tomorrow will start tapering the medication. I'm not allowed out for a week so can't go to any AA meetings yet. I've also been reffered to see a psychologist.
what about online meetings Doubter?

D
Old 04-07-2017, 05:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Doubter,

I won't tell you whether or not you should go to rehab, I can only offer my experience.

Rehab can help you get sober, but it will be up to you to STAY sober, using the tools you will ideally learn in rehab. I went to a 30-day program in April 2016 and have been sober since. It won't work for everybody, but one of the determinants of whether it will is that you have to WANT to be there, or at least WANT to sober. When I was in rehab, there were a number of people who obviously didn't want to be there; they were compelled by family, or courts, or whatever. I can only assume that it didn't work for them.

It sounds like you want to go, Doubter.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
what about online meetings Doubter?

D
I agree online meetings are the next best thing to a face to face one.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm so glad I didn't use my sisters money. I'm doing great, feel great and no cravings for alcohol what so ever.

I'm only on day 6 but the thought of buying a drink makes me feel sick. I can't believe i'm not craving a drink and I haven't even been sober a week. I haven't thought once about having a drink the past 6 days which seems very very unusual.

In the past when i've detoxed I couldn't relax or concentrate on anythin, I was ALWAYS thinking about booze. It's like something magical has happened. I don't understand it but I'm not complaining.

Me and booze are done. I will never touch it again. I honestly feel great and hope it stays this way.