Notices

New Here

Old 03-09-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

Just want to say Hello I'm going on 24 hours sober. I've been an on/off binge drinker for 10 years. The longest I've been sober consistently was 10 months. I'm hoping to kick the habit once and for all this time. I feel like I'm doing it alone, as my family has heard the "I'm getting clean" so many times they just don't believe in me anymore.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate totally, I was mainly a binge drinker myself but my drinking career lasted over 20 years. I was sober 2 years recently (my longest ever I believe) and relapsed, tomorrow will be 3 weeks sober for me. My family I'm sure is also hesitant to believe to since I've done this almost all my life. All you can do is focus on you and the next 24 hours.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Sorry to hear about the lack of support from your family. Just do it for you then! And you can find support on SR here!
Old 03-09-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Harley1973 View Post
I can relate totally, I was mainly a binge drinker myself but my drinking career lasted over 20 years. I was sober 2 years recently (my longest ever I believe) and relapsed, tomorrow will be 3 weeks sober for me. My family I'm sure is also hesitant to believe to since I've done this almost all my life. All you can do is focus on you and the next 24 hours.
Congrats on your 3 weeks! I know these first few days are going to be hard, especially since I work at a bar. I took the first step in finding employment elsewhere, to help cut back on the temptation. I start my new job on Monday and couldn't be happier about it! My problem is I'll get to 3 days sober and "reward" myself for being sober with a drink. And then another. And so on. I want to break this habit for good. Not only for myself but for my family as well as my livelihood. Alcohol has destroyed enough of my life.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RockNRose View Post
Congrats on your 3 weeks! I know these first few days are going to be hard, especially since I work at a bar. I took the first step in finding employment elsewhere, to help cut back on the temptation. I start my new job on Monday and couldn't be happier about it! My problem is I'll get to 3 days sober and "reward" myself for being sober with a drink. And then another. And so on. I want to break this habit for good. Not only for myself but for my family as well as my livelihood. Alcohol has destroyed enough of my life.

I've done the 3 day reward countless times and it never paid off. There is no way I could work in a bar right now, glad you got another job and good luck!! PS Don't try the 3 day reward.. Trust me on this.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR RockNRose...you'll find a lot of support and understanding here.

Have you ever followed any formal recovery plan or participated in a forum like SR?
Old 03-09-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Help is available. I was able to find sobriety,
as have millions of other people in rooms all
over the world. This is an addiction, this is an
illness and there is help, but the help needs
to be longstanding and ongoing.

Find an effective, healthy solution and
continue to build a strong, solid, recovery
foundation to live your life upon each
day you remain sober.

Listen Learn Absorb Apply
Old 03-09-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Rose! It all starts with that first day. Don't get discouraged and don't think about anyone or anything, for awhile, that is not supportive of your sobriety. I have tried it alone myself and IMHO, that does not work. You need a plan and you need support and it's out there; AA, medical help, rehab, posting here, whatever it takes. It's life or death so do whatever you have to do to stay sober. Looking back on my past attempts, I would have sold every single thing I owned, given everything I would own, if I could have stayed sober. Don't spare any effort or expense to do so. Best wishes!
Old 03-09-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome to SR RockNRose...you'll find a lot of support and understanding here.

Have you ever followed any formal recovery plan or participated in a forum like SR?
The only "formal" type of plan I've ever done was when I was court ordered not to drink. Once that barrier came off, the monster in me was back at it! Now, I'm doing it just because I want to. I want to feel healthier, and I'm tired of being looked upon as a drunk. I want to prove there's more to me than just being that party girl.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by RockNRose View Post
The only "formal" type of plan I've ever done was when I was court ordered not to drink. Once that barrier came off, the monster in me was back at it! Now, I'm doing it just because I want to. I want to feel healthier, and I'm tired of being looked upon as a drunk. I want to prove there's more to me than just being that party girl.
Sounds like you have some very good reasons for staying sober, that's important. Sometimes having a formal recovery plan/program/community is what you need to make it to the next step. If you just "don't drink" without addressing your lifestyle in general or underlying issues, it's very easy to go back to drinking. And yes, there are some people who can just say one day "i quit" and never go back, but that is not always the case, most people need some structure, at least to begin with.

This is a good link to read if you are new to the site, it outlines many of the various recovery methods that are commonly used. SR itself can be a key component of any, and you can use multiple.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 03-09-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome
Old 03-09-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank Y'all 😎