Notices

I got very irritated today

Old 03-07-2017, 11:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I got very irritated today

I was in a car accident 5 months ago, I was hit by a car and had my femur broken. I had just started a new job at a restaurant that is walking distance from home, which is perfect since my license was suspended due to a DUI. Anyways a month after my accident I tried going back to work and the owner tells me he’s doing layoffs so he can’t hire me until march. I was really pissed off about that. Then they took forever to mail me my check, which was zero because they charged me for a uniform I never wore. So I basically worked for them for free. However I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to burn any bridges.

Now it’s march and 2 weeks ago I walked in and talked with the manager, he tells me to come in 2 weeks later, which is today and we will talk then about getting me on the schedule. I show up today, he’s not there, no one knows where he is or when he will be back. How convenient it is that whenever I need to talk to someone they are never around. I talk to another manager who I recognize but he makes me fill out an application all over again because the system terminated me and he tells me only the manager guy I spoke to can hire me. I didn’t come prepared to fill and application out and didn’t even have some of the numbers to my old employers. Then I handed it in, and he’s like hopefully he’ll get back to you. What do you mean hopefully? I can’t pay my bills with hope. I was looking forward to starting today or this week, not sitting down filling out some application. I mean I have bills to pay. I feel like this place is giving me the run around and maybe I made a big mistake even getting a job there. What kind of restaurant opens up and then lays everyone off 1 month later? This place is really starting to irritate me.

It sucks because it’s one of the few places right up the street from where I live, I was really relying on them, and it’s like they don’t value me enough to sit down with me and give me a straight answer. I worked so hard to get my leg better just so I can work. I feel like people are lying to me straight to my face and here I am making plans, budgeting and planning my life out. It just makes me feel stupid. I’m going to fill out some more applications tomorrow. I’m also either going to call this place tomorrow or the day after, and if I don’t like their answer, they can keep their job. That way my time and their time wont be wasted.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That does sound extremely irritating, I don't blame you for feeling that way at all.
it's great though that you posted here instead of having a drink so there is a silver lining
Good luck with your job search
Old 03-08-2017, 02:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I understand...you just want a straight answer...yes or no. You may want to look at alternate solutions though....can you take public transportation in search of another job?
Old 03-08-2017, 03:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you feel let down, and that's natural. Simple as this sounds though try not to hold on to it...a good ol' alcoholic trick is to let these thing fester until it becomes "Who do they think they are? I'll show them!! *glug glug glug*". I'll show them was my war cry before many a drink. Only person I hurt was me.

Just an aside...a broken leg/ traffic accident is heavy trauma...affects the nervous system for some time and may in itself be a reason for emotions to go up and down. Just like when we quit drinking emotions are up and down for a while.

Just remember while the emotions might be natural, the thinking that comes with them might not be real. Especially if it leads to a drink.

P
Old 03-08-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you came here to share YH, as others have mentioned what is most important is being in control of your thoughts and actions after becoming frustrated, angry, etc. Life is filled with setbacks unfortunately, some small and some very big. And it's completely normal to feel this way when they happen..but it sounds to me like you are learning to deal with them in different ways than by drinking..which is great. Because drinking of course is not a solution, it makes it all worse as a matter of fact.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah its nonsense how things operate these days its like no one even cares. your liable to walk in there one day and see them training some new person without having ever called you and you'll think geeze you would not had to even train me! someitmes theres no rhyme or reason to it too. Or maybe there is but its like you cant wait around for them to maybe get it together. Like you said all you can do is just put in applications elsewhere.

Job hunting stinks. i was always taught to interview at a place and follow up. Or like your doing show up when people tell you to show up. But these days? i call to follow up and its like you'd think i was bothering them. Or they gave the position out to someone else and never notified me and are still annoyed with me for calling. Its like excuse me for trying to follow through and be responable and have some courtesy to call you guys geeze. But i guess no ones under any obligation to be courteous and respectful in todays day and age *sigh*.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think a lot of people here will sympathize with this kind of situation. Trying to find a job is stressful and often extremely painful at the best of times!

Something similar happened to me fairly recently. I was all set to start a serious teaching job in September but was blocked by an officious superintendent days before the semester started. Nobody even bothered to tell me! I only found out a day or two before I was due to start teaching because somebody I know found out by chance that they were hiring someone else.

This has been a major source of anger and resentment for me and (unfortunately) was a big factor in my latest round of destructive behavior.

More generally, I know nobody owes anyone else a living, but if you've gone through the application process, taken the time to go to an interview, filled out the paper work, waited patiently, and followed up appropriately then surely you are entitled to a straight answer. It's hard not to see the rudeness as a deliberate policy sometimes, sad as that is to imagine.

All you can do is keep going!
Old 03-08-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't blame you for being upset, but good on you for not drinking and posting instead. I have learned in life the only one I can really depend on is me.