Notices

What is your anxiety like?

Old 03-01-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is your anxiety like?

I know there's another thread for anxiety but it's not frequented too much.

This is a question for anyone who has experienced bad anxiety in sobriety or otherwise.

I was a regular drinker until two years ago, when I was drinking five a day every day, for many years. Then I cut back to five a day 3 or 4 days a week. Then I tapered it even further until I "quit" last September when I was drinking almost moderately. I had a fatty liver diagnosis, and stomach issues caused by NSAIDs and maybe alcohol. The fatty liver resolved according to a later MRI but I'm still taking Prilosec for the stomach issues. Since I "quit" I actually drank 8 more times, totaling 25-30 drinks over those 8 occasions, the last being 40 days ago.

But the anxiety I have now feels terrible. It actually started a year or so ago when I was still drinking but now it's come back. It's like a physical feeling of butterflies in your gut, times a hundred. I'm not even sure if it's alcohol related since I haven't drank a lot for so long. I've always worried about my health for some reason and maybe all these health issues have set it off. If I hadn't had an endoscopy and MRI six months ago to diagnose the stomach issues, I would think it was something physical....that's how intense it is. It's worse in the mornings and let's up at night.

The stomach issues feel like nausea when they flare up, but the anxiety like atomic butterflies. I think the stomach issues may be getting better because the anxiety doesn't seem to be setting them off like they were before. But I'm losing weight and I think it's the anxiety. I'm going to the doc in a couple days about that.

Does anyone have anxiety that feels like that? Is it just worry about specific things, or does it seem to have a life of its own, like it's a physical issue in your body regardless of what you worry about?
Old 03-01-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't have stomach issues, but I have had this feeling:
anxiety like atomic butterflies
I have been using wine to treat my anxiety for much of my life. I am 25 days sober now. Last week I had a major anxiety attack, and my blood pressure went sky high. My doctor wants me to start an antidepressant, but I am afraid of all the side effects, and don't want to be a slave to medication, as I have never taken any before.
I am looking into alternatives (anti-anxiety herbal supplements, vitamins, meditation, etc.)

It is good that you are going to the doctor.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I am diagnosed with GAD with health anxiety being the most prevalent occurrence of symptoms. I most likely have had it my entire life, but attempted to use alcohol to cope with it for decades. Towards the end of my drinking though, the alcohol actually made it worse as I was in a constant cycle of trying to drink it away and anxiety ridden withdraws each morning. The anxiety did get better after I was sober for a few months, but never went away totally. I also found that before I quit for good, when I quit for a short time and then drank again, it would not only reset the anxiety almost immediately, but it got worse and worse every time.

I also went through lots of testing for various perceived physical disorders that ended up all being completely absent and fueled purely by my anxiety. I was convinced I had heart issues, GI issues, brain tumors, you name it. If I read an article about someone contracting some strange disorder I though I might get it. If my eyelids fluttered I figured I must be getting Parkinson's or ALS...I could go on forever.....

The thing that started turning things around for me, besides staying sober, was seeking help via counseling and accepting my anxiety for what it is. And then formulating a plan to make living with it more bearable. I've tried a couple different meds, exercise, meditation and mindfulness, and a lot of time talking to others here. It's really a manageable condition. You've absolutely got to quit drinking for good though to give it a fair try.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So "health anxiety" is a thing then? I thought it was just my peculiar type of anxiety. Scott what you described is very much what I've gone through for the past 25 years. It's just that it's gotten really bad in the last year or so.

I'm also concerned about taking an anti depressant.... I'm on Ativan now but I think it just acts as bandaid.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes. I have symptoms that translate as "anxiety" but have nothing to do with my state of mind, which is really pretty stable and relaxed most of the time thanks to my work in recovery. In my case, it seems like the symptoms of a physiological issue -- a nervous system that's stubbornly stuck in a kind of low grade red-alert mode after years of heavy drinking interspersed with periods of abstinence -- generate the anxious thoughts, as opposed to state of mind (worry) generating the anxious symptoms.

In any event, 40 days is really pretty early in the game to make any kind of meaningful assessment. Give your brain and nervous system some time to settle down. Ironically, cutting back on your drinking may have caused the symptoms to flare up worse because of an increased rebound effect. Only a long period of complete abstinence will tell you for sure whether alcohol is a factor.

Meanwhile, you probably already know the drill for dealing with anxiety, no matter what its source: breathing exercises, mindfulness, meditation, therapy, healthy diet, exercise, etc. These may not directly address the underlying biochemical imbalance that's causing the symptoms, but it will alleviate their intensity.

Hope this helps, and I'll be interested to hear how you get on. Keep posting!
Old 03-01-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Rob32u View Post
So "health anxiety" is a thing then? I thought it was just my peculiar type of anxiety. Scott what you described is very much what I've gone through for the past 25 years. It's just that it's gotten really bad in the last year or so.

I'm also concerned about taking an anti depressant.... I'm on Ativan now but I think it just acts as bandaid.
Health anxiety is absolutely a "thing". And it can come on at any time, Have you ever seen a therapist about it? It can be treated without meds for some. Others sometimes need meds to help get back to normal. Some take them long term.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My anxiety manifests itself as muscle tightness in my arms and neck, to the point of actually feeling physical pain. A big reason I drank. It makes staying sober difficult, but with therapy, AA, and SR I'm examining the underlying causes with the hopes of one day alleviating it. I believe I've been diagnosed with GAD too.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Absolutely. I had horrific health anxiety for years to the point I was sleeping with my phone in my hand so I could call an ambulance, constantly paranoid something horrible health wise was going happen, if I was watching tv and a hospital related show came on it triggered an instant panic attack,.. it was bad.
I still battle with bad anxiety today, but it's switched more over to social anxiety than health. I would not be afraid of medications as they do help, but they are just a piece of the puzzle. Quality therapy is the main part that helps.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses. It's funny, I have recently been to counseling and was diagnosed with OCD. The psychologist recommmeded Luvox. But the health anxiety never really was discussed at length or as the underlying cause. I guess it's been right in front of my eyes but I didn't really see it. I've got an appt with a psychiatrist to see if the Luvox is the right answer.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've had anxiety my entire life because I was raised in a very anxious home. My anxiety manifests in the form of GAD, OCD, occasional health anxiety, and social anxiety. Physical manifestations of my anxiety are IBS and muscle tightness.

I recently had physical exhaustion/burn out symptoms that I didn't realize were anxiety, but my blood pressure was sky high when it was taken. It could've been white coat syndrome but I'm not sure what occurred first.

I am on a low dose SSRI. I have Xanax for that rare panic attack.

Therapy, meditation, mindfulness, exercise, and getting good quality sleep are helpful.

I'm surprised more people don't talk about anxiety or OCD on SR. Maybe we're all in denial? The root cause of my compulsion/obsession to drink was anxiety/fear.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Centered3 View Post
I've had anxiety my entire life because I was raised in a very anxious home. My anxiety manifests in the form of GAD, OCD, occasional health anxiety, and social anxiety. Physical manifestations of my anxiety are IBS and muscle tightness.

I recently had physical exhaustion/burn out symptoms that I didn't realize were anxiety, but my blood pressure was sky high when it was taken. It could've been white coat syndrome but I'm not sure what occurred first.

I am on a low dose SSRI. I have Xanax for that rare panic attack.

Therapy, meditation, mindfulness, exercise, and getting good quality sleep are helpful.

I'm surprised more people don't talk about anxiety or OCD on SR. Maybe we're all in denial? The root cause of my compulsion/obsession to drink was anxiety/fear.
It's possible. Alcoholism is a mental health disorder and a large number of people with other mental health issues are also alcoholics. Unfortunately like alcoholism, many with mental health issues try to deny they have a problem, nor to take the appropriate measures to resolve them.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Thanks for this thread - It helps others(myself included) when this experience is shared - shining a light on it. Glad you posted it.

My anxiety comes in waves and typically daily. As with many others, this anxiety - or truly fear - is a physically felt as you accurately describe. At times it withdraws me so bad I just want to climb in a hole and cover myself up. I see others having fun or just carefree and long for that . I may appear that way on the outside a lot, but on the inside I can be in a ball on knots.

Fear of economics and health issue are the two biggies for most I have found as it is with me. Somehow I have to get my thoughts from what's rattling around in my head to ease these fears/anxieties. Attempting to train and distract my mind are the keys for me.

I never push any spiritual things on others but will simply share from my experience use of a mantram helps me to focus immediately on others things.
Friends may investigate that as they wish or ask questions.

Something to do with my hands is the other method to get me out of head and focus on anything else. Clean some windows, start a load of laundry, empty the dishwasher, pickup a room......etc. A task helps me get away from the jazzzz in my brain.

Again, I appreciate the topic and everyone's experience. Very helpful
Old 03-02-2017, 07:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have sky high anxiety. I guess I always thought most drinkers drink like they do to reduce or mask the anxiety. But drinking does escalate it for me. I am hoping as the days go by I feel less and less. It isn't easy that is for sure.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Has anyone lost weight due to anxiety? I lost 8-10 pounds last September when I quit drinking and adjusted my diet for the stomach issues. So I chalked it up to that. I had an abdominal MRI and endoscopy in September, and blood work more recently which rules out a lot I would think. But I've lost another 5 or so in the last month. I have had a lot of anxiety during that time, and I've read bad anxiety can make you lose weight. The "atomic butterfly" feeling really does feel like you must be burning calories just to generate that terrible feeling. But since my anxiety is apparently "health anxiety", I guess it's a vicious cycle. I weigh myself 15 times a day. Going to the doctor tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Has anyone lost weight due to anxiety? I lost 8-10 pounds last September when I quit drinking and adjusted my diet for the stomach issues. So I chalked it up to that. I had an abdominal MRI and endoscopy in September, and blood work more recently which rules out a lot I would think. But I've lost another 5 or so in the last month. I have had a lot of anxiety during that time, and I've read bad anxiety can make you lose weight. The "atomic butterfly" feeling really does feel like you must be burning calories just to generate that terrible feeling. But since my anxiety is apparently "health anxiety", I guess it's a vicious cycle. I weigh myself 15 times a day. Going to the doctor tomorrow.
I believe anxiety can be the source of a whole host of physical ailments personally, and definitely GI disturbances. You mentioned earlier that you were going to see a Psychiatrist...is that the appointment you have tomorrow?
Old 03-02-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I believe anxiety can be the source of a whole host of physical ailments personally, and definitely GI disturbances. You mentioned earlier that you were going to see a Psychiatrist...is that the appointment you have tomorrow?
No, my general doc tomorrow.

He's the kind of doc who doesn't take insurance, a "concierge" doc. You can email him, call him whenever. Great for a hyperchondriac like me. I just have to keep it under control, or else what I pay him won't be worth it for him. I try to keep it to three or four visits a year.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Check out Dr. Hyman on youtube. He has many great videos on how gut health effects the body.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

No, my general doc tomorrow.

He's the kind of doc who doesn't take insurance, a "concierge" doc. You can email him, call him whenever. Great for a hyperchondriac like me. I just have to keep it under control, or else what I pay him won't be worth it for him. I try to keep it to three or four visits a year.
If the source of a lot of this is anxiety, you may have to pay him anything at all. Just to be clear, you are aware that Hypochondria is actually the same thing as health anxiety, correct? Earlier you mentioned that you weren't clear that "health anxiety" was real....and of course it is, and they call it Hypochondria. And it can be managed very well.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I wasn't aware health anxiety was a specific form of anxiety. I always thought of myself as a hypochondriac but that went back long before serious anxiety was a problem for me. I worried but didn't have the kind of anxiety symptoms I do now. Also, there are other things causing my anxiety other than health worries, but I would say that's the biggest one. The big question for me is how alcohol played a role in this. I worried about health etc when I drank every day, but it wasn't until I cut back significantly that the anxiety became the kind that needs professional attention.

(My doc charges a flat fee per year without taking insurance so there's never a specific fee when I visit.)
Old 03-02-2017, 08:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think that's the main reason why so many of us with mental health issues become alcoholics is because it works like a seemingly miracle cure to our problems, but really all it does is throw a blanket over it.
Once you get clean, the underlying issues will come out.