Notices

New here

Old 12-09-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

welcome back, Jonathan.
for me, it wasn't so much about how i felt the next day but about how i drank when i had decided not to.
and i certainly had a whole bunch of "never" rules around it, all designed to keep things/me in check and with the illusion i had complete control of my drinking.

good to see you .
Old 12-09-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Soberado

For me any attempt at moderation resulted in me being back in the drinking rut once again. Drink counting, hour watching and only on weekends are protective measures covering up the denial to call yourself an alcoholic, I've been there. Towards the end of my drinking career I wasn't getting drunk either, I had to drink or not function. Keep reading and posting here, there are some Titians of sobriety on this forum and know how this all plays out. Good luck to you.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jofafa View Post
Good day everyone,

So I did 6 months without a single drop of alcohol. Then i went home and I had 2 beers with my dad, not the end of the world did I think. Then the next time was a month later when i came home again for about 6 beers. I could feel it in the morning and I wasn't too proud because it was my first hangover in over 7 months. A month ago my girlfriend had wine and i drank some with her. We bought more the same night and the next morning i could really feel it. I am still not abusing it, never drink later than 2200h and never in the week, never been drunk since 10 months, but i feel like i'm just sinking back into it. I'm 10 months in, holidays are just around the corner and i don't want to make a fool of myself. I want to go back to not drinking a drop again.

Thanks for your help.
I'm in AA and recently a member shared about having gone to Canada on a four month assignment. He'd been sober for some ten years yet found himself in a rental car along with a couple of bottles of wine. He drove up a mountain to get a mud bath and drink the wine. After he did this he drove back down the mountain. Unfortunately he drove into a ditch damaging the rental car. The police came and he was arrested for drunk driving. His relapsed cost his sobriety and 15,000 USD in court costs and damage to the rental car.

One member, one slip, one afternoon and it all fell apart.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome back. I found not drinking with family particularly hard. Have you talked to your dad about your desire to stop drinking for good?
Old 12-10-2017, 02:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stronger2017 View Post
Welcome back. I found not drinking with family particularly hard. Have you talked to your dad about your desire to stop drinking for good?
What I find are is being around family members who when they get drunk become unpleasant. I explained to my mother some years ago I would no longer be joining in any card games if my sister would be getting hammered. My sister got the message and has been fine ever since.

The same with a particular ex-co-worker. Each year I am invited to an end of the year dinner with past and past co-workers. One fellow drinks too much and become belligerent. Apparently someone spoke with him because last year he showed up sober and pretty much stayed that way throughout dinner.

If someone wants to get plastered and they aren't driving that's their business but I don't need be around it either.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Welcome back Jonathon. It sounds like you are in the diagnosis part, what we in AA call step one. The authors of our book say they tried every imaginable remedy, sometimes with brief success, but always followed by a still worse relapse. You have had some success in not drinking, and some success in moderate drinking but each of those events has been less moderate than the one before. There may be a pattern forming.

We (AAs) became convinced we were in the grip of a progressive illness. Over any considerable period it gets worse, never better. But we took some convincing. All you can do is look at your own experience and see what conclusions you can draw.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

how are things, Jonathan?