Notices

New here

Old 02-21-2017, 12:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hi guys!

My name is Jonathan, I'm 25 years old, i come from Montréal and i now live in Ontario. I've had alcohol problems since i was 15. It ruined friendships, relationships and trust from people around me. I tried to moderate my drinking once in a while but as you know it was always a complete failure. I woke up a morning and i decided: that's it. I am sober since 9 days. A small beginning, i know, but we all start somewhere. I think i am so much more productive, i feel a lot better, my heart pressure already went down, I am ready for the hard path that's gonna be no morr alchol in my life. I went to have sushis tonight, i always take a few Sapporos when I'm there, but today i had ice tea. And you know what, i had more fun drinking ice tea than having a few beers. Best part, no hangover!

Looking forward to this forum.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2017, 12:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So happy to see you jofafa. I have to go to bed...it is tomorrow here. Just want to say HANG TOUGH! 25 and the realization you have is nothing to sneeze at! I sure wish I would have had the insight to quit at your age. Kudos !!! Glad you are here.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Jonathan!
You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 02-21-2017, 12:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys
Old 02-21-2017, 01:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

WELCOME JON. Keep sharing, John.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Welcome jofafa. I found the solution at 22. I turn 60 this year. If you get half what I got, you will be a very happy camper.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you're here! I'm in a similar situation. I'm 22 and quit drinking 14 days ago, except for a slip. 9 days is an incredible start. Are you able to go to AA meetings? I would highly recommend that. Stay strong!
Old 02-21-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

cool! just getting one day and breaking that cycle is all thats needed to get the ball rolling. Keep reminding yourself why being sober is better everytime you notice some new good reason why its better.

good job on 9 days!
Old 02-21-2017, 02:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome!!

And no i haven't been to AA as of yet

Originally Posted by IsaacT View Post
I'm so glad you're here! I'm in a similar situation. I'm 22 and quit drinking 14 days ago, except for a slip. 9 days is an incredible start. Are you able to go to AA meetings? I would highly recommend that. Stay strong!
Old 02-21-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome to you, Jonathan.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Were here for ya buddy, Hi I'm wayne....
Old 03-12-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello again! Just letting you know that tomorrow will mark my first month sober. I come here everyday and read a few posts, it motivates me. Everything is going well and i overcome the temptations. Thanks all!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hey that's great, Jonathan!

and i'd like to encourage you to participate more.................you might find that has bunch of unanticipated benefits.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Jonathan,

Congrats on 1 month! That's so great. I'm at 15 days myself. Like you, my high BP was one of the reasons I quit (I'm 32). Luckily it's gone back down already. Better to quit now while you can still reverse the effects.

Stay strong my friend!
Old 03-13-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great going Jonathan

D
Old 12-08-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good day everyone,

So I did 6 months without a single drop of alcohol. Then i went home and I had 2 beers with my dad, not the end of the world did I think. Then the next time was a month later when i came home again for about 6 beers. I could feel it in the morning and I wasn't too proud because it was my first hangover in over 7 months. A month ago my girlfriend had wine and i drank some with her. We bought more the same night and the next morning i could really feel it. I am still not abusing it, never drink later than 2200h and never in the week, never been drunk since 10 months, but i feel like i'm just sinking back into it. I'm 10 months in, holidays are just around the corner and i don't want to make a fool of myself. I want to go back to not drinking a drop again.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Jonathan, and congratulations on your sober time.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. For those of us who suffer from it, the option of one drink is simply not on the table. So many people here have told stories similar to yours - a period of sober time followed by one drink here, two drinks there, and before they knew it, they were back drinking what they had previously drank and some even more.

It is a slippery slope - very, very often leading to unhappy and dangerous consequences.

If you want to go back to that beautiful sober life, take drinking off the table - for good and in any amount whatsoever.

Again, welcome back both here at SR and to the sober life!

We are here for you. Keep posting.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Lpg

Hello jofafa

Welcome to the page , loads of support here. Post regularly and attend aa it's really helping me this time around. I'm 26 and I the early days also. Tried to quit over the year and lasted 3 months. This time I intend to stay sober so aa is a must this time.

Keep going
Old 12-09-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Jonathan

I think it's good you're so self aware.

It took me 20 years to realise that my relationship with alcohol was and always would be toxic.

Sometimes my descent was slow and dreamlike and sometimes neck breakingly quick but I always ended back in that spot where drinking ruled my life and my addiction all but destroyed me.

D
Old 12-09-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome, Jonathan! SR is a great place for advice, encouragement and support. I could never moderate either-I have no 'off' switch when it comes to alcohol. Wishing you all the best on your sober journey.