Notices

Why so afraid of AA???

Old 02-12-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Hey mels, how was your meeting?
Old 02-12-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The only 'requirement' in AA is a desire to stop drinking. All you have to do is go and sit there. You don't have to say a thing. When you're ready you can share, introduce yourself, talk whatever. Don't sweat it.

I know I over-complicated AA because frankly my addiction was threatened by it. It was like a movie...my addiction was the guy running from the cops (my recovery) and throwing every possible thing in front of them to stop from being caught. But it was finally against a brick wall...no where else to run. I had to surrender or get shot.

AA is so simple...that doesn't mean its easy. But there's nothing to get, really. Just be willing, open. Listen, learn.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melsworld View Post
. So I NEED AA. I'm going to lose my kids and my job if this doesn't stop and stay stopped.

AAer's-please help me out. Tell me it's not going to be so scary. I'm worried there will be rules I won't understand, and I'll have to share all my deep dirty secrets with a bunch of strangers-and I know I'm a big girl and should be able to make myself do this very necessary thing, but I just feel like such a wimp.

Any advice, I'd appreciate it. I know I'm going to have to just bite the bullet-just looking for come comforting words.
i had major fear of walking inti my 1st aa meeting-when i was ready,so much so that the 1st meeting,i pulled into a parking spot, then pulled out,went home, and cried all night.
next day 2 things changed. 1st was the fear i had came to light- fear of what my life would be like with alcohol still in it- fear of the known.
and 2nd i got me some courage to face my fear of the unkown,which the unknown was what would my life be like without alcohol and what would i learn about what i was.
there was a LOT i didnt understand about the program or how meetings are conducted. understanding the program came by reading the bigbook and asking questions, which took time for me to open up and do that. how meetings are cunducted came by attending meetings regularly.
best decision i ever made was to get the courage to walk into that 1st meeting and keep going back.

heres the AA preamble

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The program provides an opportunity for self examination which may lead to life altering choices if one is willing. Walking in the door demonstrates a willingness to be willing.

Keep coming back - likely you be glad you did!
Old 02-12-2017, 09:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. Meeting is in a couple of hours. Feeling lots more comfortable about it. I'll check in again tonight after.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

There are no rules. "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking" .... and it is a program of suggestions. If you have issues with God that's fine too. In my 26th year of recovery God=group of drunks and that works fine.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I was scared to go to a new group yesterday, but it wound up being just fine!

I think the apprehension of meeting new people combined with the potential of baring our souls in very personal ways can amount to a lot of fear. In reality, you don't have to say anything there - you can "pass" when it comes to you and just listen - and nobody will judge you. They can all relate to you in some way.

When I pulled up to the meeting location yesterday, I darn near turned around and drove away, but some little voice said, "just do it, it'll be fine." Almost like a reverse AV, if you will.

Sometimes you just have to take the plunge.

ABW1
Old 02-12-2017, 04:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi all, the meeting was great. A big, active group of women and they told me about another active group even closer to my house. So of course, all in all a great experience. Thanks for all your support, guys!
Old 02-12-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Old 02-12-2017, 07:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Two fellowships for visiting one!! Kudos to you!your report made my night!!!

Have a great week! Keep up the great work!
Old 02-12-2017, 11:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Glad it went well.

That combination of AA and reading and posting here has been integral to my recovery and learning. I hope you keep at it.

All the best for your recovery. BB
Old 02-13-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Glad it went well.

That combination of AA and reading and posting here has been integral to my recovery and learning. I hope you keep at it.

All the best for your recovery. BB
I totally agree, Becky! It's really a powerful combination!! Both saved my rear!