Notices

I've got this under control, right?

Old 02-05-2017, 11:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've got this under control, right?

Haven't posted in a long time, but I have a question.

Now, I'm aware of my past and 7 years ago came to this website as a way to deal with my problem at the time. I drank heavily and did drugs regularly.

I abused alcohol and I still do on a regular basis, but I don't think I'm an addict. I can literally go weeks without a drop of alcohol and be unphased. I do this regularly just for my own piece of mind.

I do enjoy drinking alone and with friends and it is nothing like it was for me 7 years ago, but I have made a habit of it. Friday afternoon is always a trip to the liquor store unless I've stated to myself otherwise.

Once I've made the decision not to drink, I'm fine with it. I just enjoy it and would like to continue to enjoy it within reason.

My question is; Am I an addict or a creature of habit? Because I like doing something, does that automatically mean I'm addicted? Or does even the thought of it and refusal to give it up permanently mean addiction?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2017, 11:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Only you know if you're an alcoholic. I am a real alcoholic because I cannot control my drinking. Once I started drinking I drank for oblivion and when I was drinking I never knew when I was going to stop. When I first came to AA I learned about control drinking. I tried to do the test, if you think you're not an alcoholic then try some controlled drinking. For the next 60 days, drink two drinks (no more and no less) every single day. If you can't complete the 60 days with only drinking two drinks, then you probably have an issue with alcohol.

The book alcoholics anonymous describes what an alcoholic is and gives the solution step by step. It's worth the 6-10 bucks it costs because it might save your life.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not sure how we could answer this question better than you can?

Be completely honest with yourself, you'll know of its a problem.

P
Old 02-05-2017, 11:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Long time no see DB - Hi

Some people grow out of maladaptive behaviours with drugs or alcohol.

Here's a flashback.

Originally Posted by DukeBurger View Post
Hi all,
I just found this site while searching for some information about getting sober and withdrawal symptoms and found tons of helpful info on this site and was inspired to share my experiences.

I am 25 years old and I have been drinking for about 8 years, heavily for 3 or 4. I just recently lost my girlfriend of 7 years last week because of the drinking.

It all started out by getting getting drunk on Fridays and Saturdays and it slowly became an every day thing as a way to entertain myself when I got bored...that entertainment turned into a 72+ beer/week habit. I started smoking weed after getting drunk to feel a different effect. Since the last year or so a regular Friday or Saturday night consisted of 15-16 beers, weed, oxycontin, sleeping pills, and whatever else i could get my hands on. I started drinking whiskey regularly about 3 months ago and that proved to be my breaking point...I missed another one of my girlfriend's family functions because i couldn't move or communicate one day and she decided it was enough, she couldn't watch me kill myself anymore.

I want to get better for her and my family, but I am still finding it hard to just get better for my own health.

My last drink was 6 days ago on Nov. 14th and the only way I can describe how i feel is just downright strange. Last night was my first rough night and I feel tonight is going to be worse. I purchased some non-alcoholic beer to try and help fill some of the void, but I'm not very optimistic.

That's about it...it feels good just to type that out even if no one reads it.

Thanks
25 to 32 can be like two different people - sometimes....

I haven't seen many of the folks who grow out of hard self destructive drinking here on SR tho.

If things are fine, what made you sign in here again and ask for our opinion, Duke?

are you not entirely convinced you have things under control?
whats got ya worried?

D
Old 02-05-2017, 11:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

With a few sentences- I cannot tell, I could not tell. YOU are asking the questions. You perhaps have concerns. It is not how much or how often you drink- but the consequences and your actions. For me- secretive behaviour, lying, pretending I did not drink, rationalising I was 'okay'. Deep down in my gut- I knew. Keep looking. Go to an AA meeting and listen. Just listen- if asked to share, just say ' I am here tonight just to listen'.
Prayers.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Long time no see DB - Hi

Some people grow out of maladaptive behaviours with drugs or alcohol.

Here's a flashback.

25 to 32 can be like two different people - sometimes....

I haven't seen many of the folks who grow out of hard self destructive drinking here on SR tho.

If things are fine, what made you sign in here again and ask for our opinion, Duke?

are you not entirely convinced you have things under control?
whats got ya worried?

D
I was having a conversation with a friend last night about addiction and it got me thinking how does one know they're addicted. I know I drink more than I should, but addicted? I thought this would be the best place for this.

Rather than challenge myself to go 60 days with 2 drinks a day, I'd rather go 30 days without drinking at all, which I just did in January ( I make it a yearly thing). I don't feel like I don't feel like I have anything to prove to myself in that regard.

I'll admit I have some issue with how I drink, I do get drunk on weekends for no reason whatsoever, but to say it's an addiction I feel is a slap in the face to those who are addicted. I don't feel like it's that bad.

I've been through addiction with oxycontin and I can definitely say it's not what's going on now.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Or am I in complete denial? lol

Thanks for the replies everyone, this place is truly the best.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was addicted to codeine. I am an alcoholic, they are different, however the behaviours are the key. That and of course actions- risky behaviours- not remembering, hangovers (this is the body telling me it is wrong). Such things are not normal. Why is any label a slap in the face? It is a label.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The 60 day challenge is to find out if you have the phenomenon of craving. An alcoholic is described to have an allergy which when they drink they have an adverse effect. Most alcoholic/addicts can 'white knuckle" it for 30 days. But a true alcoholic will not be able to have 3 drinks every night without having cravings and drinking more than the prescribed amount. That's why the challenge says no more no less than X drinks.

Good luck DB, it was hard for me to admit but once I surrendered it was freeing.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think anyone here is going to make the post that makes you decide one way or the other.

But, alcoholic or not, drinking cos you have nothing better to do is not really a good enough reason.

Maybe if you set yourself the goal of only drinking in company and only drinking to recommended levels?

According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, moderate alcohol consumption is defined as having up to 1 drink per day for women and up to 2 drinks per day for men
A standard drink is equal to 14.0 grams (0.6 ounces) of pure alcohol. Generally, this amount of pure alcohol is found in

12-ounces of beer (5% alcohol content).
8-ounces of malt liquor (7% alcohol content).
5-ounces of wine (12% alcohol content).
1.5-ounces or a “shot” of 80-proof (40% alcohol content) distilled spirits or liquor (e.g., gin, rum, vodka, whiskey)

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/faqs.htm
If you can keep to those limits - and not just for a week or a month, but more in the realm of a lifestyle change, you'll have more information on whether you have just a bad habit or something more?

D
Old 02-06-2017, 04:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The test the Big Book describes simply says to go to a bar and try some controlled drinking. Try it more than once. Drink a couple then abruptly stop.

The phenomenon of craving happens after taking the first drink. The mental obsession is the thinking about it when I'm not drinking.

When I take a drink, I can't stop till I get drunk. I've never had 1 or 2 in my life and stopped.

It's also consequences. If drinking/drugs is harming your life, you probably have a problem.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by DukeBurger View Post
I'll admit I have some issue with how I drink, I do get drunk on weekends for no reason whatsoever, but to say it's an addiction I feel is a slap in the face to those who are addicted. I don't feel like it's that bad.
So you'd quit if you were addicted, but if you're just a heavy drinker, you're okay with it and have no intentions of stopping.

Am I getting the gist of it?
Old 02-06-2017, 06:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Lots of good advice here already Duke, glad you came back to check in. You've got pretty much all the indicators of having a problem with alcohol - drinking more than you plan on, addictive history, drinking alone, etc. So as they say, if it walks like a duck...it is probably a duck. But again, you'll need to make that decision for yourself.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Rather than challenge myself to go 60 days with 2 drinks a day, I'd rather go 30 days without drinking at all, which I just did in January ( I make it a yearly thing). I don't feel like I don't feel like I have anything to prove to myself in that regard.

I'd take a hard look at this sentence. Why would you rather abstain 30 days than moderate for 60 (and everyday drinking isn't really moderation IMO)? Is it because after the 30 days you can promise yourself you'll get wasted? I've done this....many times.

I'm not here to tell anyone they are or aren't an alcoholic. IMO it's self diagnosed. You're on an alcoholism/addiction website preaching very common words to the choir. If you keep drinking, you'll find out the answers yourself. If you use us as your crystal ball, maybe you'll avoid a lot of pain. Its up to you. And don't worry, calling yourself addicted won't be a slap in the face to me, that's for sure.

Hope you get your answers sooner than later.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

heres a lil something from the big book of AA- the intro to the 2nd set of stories

they Stopped In Time

We think that about one-half of today's incoming A.A. members were never advanced cases of alcoholism; though, given time, all might have been.
Most of these fortunate ones have had little or no acquaintance with delirium, with hospitals, asylums, and jails. Some were drinking heavily and there had been occasional serious episodes. But with many, drinking had been little more than a sometimes uncontrollable nuisance. Seldom had any of these lost either health, business, family, or friends.

The twelve who now tell their experiences answer that question. They saw that they had become actual or potential alcoholics, even though no serious harm had yet been done.

They realized that repeated lack of drinking control, when they really wanted control, was the fatal symptom that spelled problem drinking. This, plus mounting emotional disturbances, convinced them that compulsive alcoholism already had them; that complete ruin would be only a question of time.
They realized that in the end alcoholism could be as mortal as cancer; certainly no sane man would wait for a malignant growth to become fatal before seeking help.
They sum it up like this: "We didn't wait to hit bottom because, thank God, we could see the bottom. Actually, the bottom came up and hit us.

doesn't matter how much I drank- my thinkin was the same as the skid row drunk, atty with a bottle in his desk, pharmacist, closet drinker, and the man that had 6 blackouts his entire drinking career.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

DB,
i would have always rather gone 30 days without drinking than try for two drinks a day.
i just mentioned in another thread that my moderation experiments were not about volume of drink on one occasion, but going without in between occasions and setting rules about when those occasions would be permissible. rules which i then broke.

one or two drinks only had absolutely no appeal and would be torturous. i'd always choose to go without if there were for some bizarre reason "not enough" available.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Agreed...and I do remember discussing this in another thread. If given the choice between one or two drinks and no more...or total abstinence...ABSTINENCE wins out. One or two would be a teaser. And I have used the train of thought where once I abstained for a month or two...I WAS CURED! Not an alcoholic. Let's drink to that! And here we go...on another roll. That train of thought damn near made me insane. It has been said if you play these mind games...you most likely have a problem. People that are not alcoholics do not give having a drink or two a thought. What a dilemma ...
Old 02-06-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi DukeBurger, as others have said, only you can define if you are addicted or an alcoholic. I drank daily for a few years and then switched to drinking just on weekends. Not a drop all week. My drinking actually got worse drinking only on weekends. I thought I was ok because I could go day after day during the week without really thinking about it. But on the weekend I would drink a lot. It ended up doing me in. I hope that doesn't happen to you.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Alcoholics can stop drinking but once they pick up a drink have no control over quantity or what happens. I'm sober 25 years but would never say I "have it licked". It's licked today, that's all.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I would say it depends on how much you are drinking. If you are drinking a "normal" amount of say 4 drinks or under a day just on the weekends, then you may not have a problem and simply enjoy a few drinks on the weekend like a large portion of the world does.
Now if you are getting blackout drunk, then that is a different story. There are also plenty of people with alcohol abuse issues that can go weeks or months without drinking and don't feel the physical need for it like a full blown alcoholic, but once they do start drinking, can't control themselves and drink themselves into oblivion.