Notices

First post - my story in a nutshell

Old 11-20-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post - my story in a nutshell

Hi all,
I just found this site while searching for some information about getting sober and withdrawal symptoms and found tons of helpful info on this site and was inspired to share my experiences.

I am 25 years old and I have been drinking for about 8 years, heavily for 3 or 4. I just recently lost my girlfriend of 7 years last week because of the drinking.

It all started out by getting getting drunk on Fridays and Saturdays and it slowly became an every day thing as a way to entertain myself when I got bored...that entertainment turned into a 72+ beer/week habit. I started smoking weed after getting drunk to feel a different effect. Since the last year or so a regular Friday or Saturday night consisted of 15-16 beers, weed, oxycontin, sleeping pills, and whatever else i could get my hands on. I started drinking whiskey regularly about 3 months ago and that proved to be my breaking point...I missed another one of my girlfriend's family functions because i couldn't move or communicate one day and she decided it was enough, she couldn't watch me kill myself anymore.

I want to get better for her and my family, but I am still finding it hard to just get better for my own health.

My last drink was 6 days ago on Nov. 14th and the only way I can describe how i feel is just downright strange. Last night was my first rough night and I feel tonight is going to be worse. I purchased some non-alcoholic beer to try and help fill some of the void, but I'm not very optimistic.

That's about it...it feels good just to type that out even if no one reads it.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi DukeBurger

Welcome to SR.

I hope you can find it within you to quit for yourself.

I had many years of never quite caring enough for myself to do that, but the folks here helped keep me on the straight and narrow (and sober) until I dried out enough to see things more clearly.

I know you'll find a lot of support here too...and a lto of ideas of where to go for face to face support

I'll be the first to advise you to ditch the NA beer tho - I get the idea of a security blanket but NA beer always made me want the real thing more...especially when I was trying to quit.

D
Old 11-20-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Almost a whole week so far, that is so excellent.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad to see you starting early before it gets worse. You're gonna be alright just by the fact that you cared as soon as you did. A few weeks from now you'll be feeling a whole lot better and happy you did it. Good for you.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DukeBurger View Post

I purchased some non-alcoholic beer to try and help fill some of the void, but I'm not very optimistic.
Well, it won't fill that void, there's no alcohol in it (OK, less than .5%)...

And that's cool, because filling that void with something else can be an incredibly rewarding and awesome journey... It's called LIFE!!

Early sobriety sucks, it just does... You can get through it... post here, find an AA meeting, do some reading, listen to music, exercise... anything except drinking, or, simulated drinking... which for those early in sobriety, and for those drinking it to fill a void... NA beer will most likely lead you right back to the real thing.

Welcome to SR... Keep posting.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

A clean and sober life is soooo rewarding.
Congratulations ..

Last edited by CarolD; 11-20-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies and support.

I haven't noticed any withdrawal symptoms yet other than pure boredom. I actually feel a lot better than I thought I would...maybe I am one of the lucky ones? Or is it still too early to tell? I guess you can say I am mostly confused at this point...

As for the NA beer, I've only had two but its aroma of cornflakes might actually be turning me off of the real thing...
Old 11-20-2010, 08:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Duke!

You might be young enough andchealthy enough that withdrawal isn't that hard...or maybe you've just got a sturdy constitution...congratulations! Just fyi...the more times you quit the worse the withdrawals get so don't use that as an excuse to Ger back in the saddle:-)

Quitting drinking has made the smell of alcohol repugnant to me...I hope the NA beer helps you come to the same conclusion.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Duke - welcome! Congratulations on 6 days sober! Boredom was an issue early on with me too. That first week, the days seemed so long and the nights were rough as well. It really does get better.

After a while, sobriety seems normal, so keep going (ONE day at a time!)
Old 11-21-2010, 07:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Duke, thanks for sharing. Congrats on 6 days. There are a lot of great people here to guide you through these problems. Stay strong.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It feels like I started this thread a week ago...it's only been a day
Tomorrow I search for a job. I hope I can sleep