Notices

Glamourizing Alcohol

Old 01-31-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post

Is it a glamorous experience when YOU drink? If you're here, I'm guessing the answer is no.
I agree, nothing glamorous on my side of the street.
I participated in when drinking.
Just to name a few.
Broken hearts.
Dissatisfied judges.
Wrecked vehicles.
Sinful unmoral acts.
M-Bob
Old 01-31-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It is easier for me to go from glamorizing the glass of wine to the realities for me of drinking the glass of wine now that some time has passed. For me it was always about checking out and disconnecting from reality. When I start to feel myself "float" away, I anchor myself by clicking in to SR or reading some other type of recovery literature. Or for me, going to a meeting....especially a newcomer/beginners meeting is best. I always hear what I need.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think that God doesn't want me to throw away the gift of sobriety that He has freely given to me.

I try to learn and do God's will each day (which is a part of the 11th Step of AA).

My sponsor assured me many years ago that God doesn't want me to drink.

Please keep up the good work and keep us posted.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

they have a couple of great Jack Daniels tv ads .. very well done.. its a very had oak barrel drink.. thank God I am not one that likes it.. but it is a very sexy ad.. with a great look.. and no Iam not pretty and never was a pretty drinker.. ads .. miss the holiday ads of old that were fun... sometimes just miss those.. not the product just the fun of the ad...
Old 01-31-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I remember drinking very well, in vivid detail. And for a few moments, I even forget all the bad things that came with it. Until I started working a plan of lasting recovery, all my worst memories of drinking were not enough to prevent me from falling for the same old delusions, again and again. I have some terrible memories since clamoring back from my lowest bottom, but it's only because of the life I lead now that the alternative has become unthinkable. I remember it, but I've lost the desire to relive it.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I use this image to remind me.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
quat

AVRT puts a real useful perspective on how to handle those thoughts, recognition and separation.
I've heard people say things like they have a built in 'forgetter' , they'd reach for the hot stove over and over again because they 'forgot' about the burn. For me it was more like , I never really forgot about the 'burn' but the AV would always convince me that I had another digit. It's like I used them all up ,first the fingers and then the toes. Finally realized what an ass the AV is, they were MY fingers after all, now when those stupid thoughts come up , I realize from whence they come and promptly dismiss them. Stoves are Hot, duh
Old 01-31-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself.
Or do something worthwhile that's not going to make you want to drink more. Like see a doctor and tell him that you have issues with alcohol abuse. Get on the right antidepressant. Go for a walk. Help a friend. Get a hobby. Make a list of reasons you don't drink anymore. Remind yourself exactly the hell you went through last time you drank. Remind yourself that drinking means square one.

Alcoholism isn't a moral issue, it's a freaking behavioral health issue usually driven by past trauma, parallel psychiatric disorders, genetics, environment, and a whole slew of other issues.

If you feel like you're going to drink, by all means, get to a meeting of some sort, call a supportive friend / family member, set up an appointment with your doctor. Even better, call your therapist if you have one.

Anything BUT that first drink. You're not a bad person for sh** you did in the past as a drunk. But you know it never stop at one because that's not alcohol works for people that tend to abuse it.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:40 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CLAS View Post
Hi all- I'm 32 days clean and feeling good. But I catch myself having thoughts maybe a couple times a day that glamorizes alcohol. I shut it down pretty well, but I'd like any advice you have or mental strategies you've used to stomp these out. Thanks SR friends.
This has happend to me for years, alcohol is everywhere especially now that the super bowl is coming up.(my team was playing in the playoffs and i got the urge to drink before my team played but i fought it)When i glamorize alcohol and this happens alot of times l like to cut the bs and face reality. Im not them, i am a alcoholic, i cant drink like that. Stop thinking about their life and what their doing and think about my own life and snap out of it
Old 02-03-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Wow, great comments here. I have same problem...seeing other people enjoying drinks, and my mind starts spinning away. I could remember one of my friends that died from cirroshis of liver from booze daily. his legs and feet were gigantic filled w/ water? Im not sure about all the medical stuff. but that sure isnt glamorous, by any stretch. He couldnt walk anymore because of it.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
I think that God doesn't want me to throw away the gift of sobriety that He has freely given to me.
One of the better quotes I've read today!
Old 02-03-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm sure there isn't an alcoholic alive that hasn't at some point glamorized drinking. I'm still guilty of it, old habits die hard I guess. My main problem is that it makes me feel glamorous, even if I'm home alone pouring it down my throat. It's amazing the lengths and wreckage we go through just to feel that way for a little while.