Notices

Getting sick in early recovery is a mind trip

Old 01-13-2017, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting sick in early recovery is a mind trip

I’m only 13 days out from my last binge followed by 4 to 5 days of hangover/withdrawal.

Yesterday I got SICK. Terribly sick. Stomach cramps, diarrhea, projectile vomiting. There is a nasty bug going around my little town.

I had really important things to do yesterday. I couldn’t stop feeling horrendous guilt over the fact that I was sick, because in the past it would have been self-inflicted. I had to keep reminding myself I hadn’t done anything wrong. It was really messing with my head.

Can anyone relate?
Old 01-13-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been grateful when sick because I knew I didn't cause it. And I've taken it as signals to rest and follow dr orders (two colds and strep in early-mid fall of last year).

Learning to just "be" and to fill hours when I can't "do" stuff, and drinking isn't an option, is something I have had to work on for sure; being sick a few times was a surprise blessing to do that.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been sober 81 days and I have been sick with a cold and/or flu twice in the last 81 days.

During my 27 years of daily drinking I rarely got the flu or a cold. I was usually just hungover sick.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post

I had really important things to do yesterday. I couldn’t stop feeling horrendous guilt over the fact that I was sick, because in the past it would have been self-inflicted. I had to keep reminding myself I hadn’t done anything wrong. It was really messing with my head.

Can anyone relate?
During my first 60 days, I caught a few flu's and food poisoning. I assumed my immune system was weak, confused and wrecked from the years of my abuse.

I did embrace that I felt like crap from not drinking.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I can totally relate. Keep posting. Do you need to see a doctor?
Prayers, PJ.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
G-Woman

In my first few weeks sober I caught an awful cold from my son. I remember feeling REALLY demoralized and miserable, because I was looking for that early-recovery pink cloud sensation. I remember also feeling conflicted about taking it easy and laying on my couch, because it reminded me of being hungover and incapable of doing anything. I had to keep reminding myself that it was OK because this WASN'T self-inflicted.

So yeah. Totally relate!
Old 01-14-2017, 08:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Yes, I can totally relate. Keep posting. Do you need to see a doctor?
Prayers, PJ.
I'm much better today PJ, thanks for asking! It's Saturday, 7a.m. where I am. A lovely non-hungover Saturday morning
Old 01-14-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It is a bit like the boy who cried wolf isn't it? I lied about being sick so often that when I was really sick, no one believed me. I wasn't even sure I believed myself.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
It is a bit like the boy who cried wolf isn't it? I lied about being sick so often that when I was really sick, no one believed me. I wasn't even sure I believed myself.
This. Totally this.