SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Getting sick in early recovery is a mind trip (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/403356-getting-sick-early-recovery-mind-trip.html)

AlaskaGirl 01-13-2017 04:05 PM

Getting sick in early recovery is a mind trip

I’m only 13 days out from my last binge followed by 4 to 5 days of hangover/withdrawal.

Yesterday I got SICK. Terribly sick. Stomach cramps, diarrhea, projectile vomiting. There is a nasty bug going around my little town.

I had really important things to do yesterday. I couldn’t stop feeling horrendous guilt over the fact that I was sick, because in the past it would have been self-inflicted. I had to keep reminding myself I hadn’t done anything wrong. It was really messing with my head.

Can anyone relate?

August252015 01-13-2017 04:55 PM

I've been grateful when sick because I knew I didn't cause it. And I've taken it as signals to rest and follow dr orders (two colds and strep in early-mid fall of last year).

Learning to just "be" and to fill hours when I can't "do" stuff, and drinking isn't an option, is something I have had to work on for sure; being sick a few times was a surprise blessing to do that.

Doug39 01-13-2017 05:45 PM

I have been sober 81 days and I have been sick with a cold and/or flu twice in the last 81 days.

During my 27 years of daily drinking I rarely got the flu or a cold. I was usually just hungover sick.

Done4today 01-14-2017 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl (Post 6289452)

I had really important things to do yesterday. I couldn’t stop feeling horrendous guilt over the fact that I was sick, because in the past it would have been self-inflicted. I had to keep reminding myself I hadn’t done anything wrong. It was really messing with my head.

Can anyone relate?

During my first 60 days, I caught a few flu's and food poisoning. I assumed my immune system was weak, confused and wrecked from the years of my abuse.

I did embrace that I felt like crap from not drinking.

PhoenixJ 01-14-2017 01:05 AM

Yes, I can totally relate. Keep posting. Do you need to see a doctor?
Prayers, PJ.

shortstop81 01-14-2017 04:49 AM

In my first few weeks sober I caught an awful cold from my son. I remember feeling REALLY demoralized and miserable, because I was looking for that early-recovery pink cloud sensation. I remember also feeling conflicted about taking it easy and laying on my couch, because it reminded me of being hungover and incapable of doing anything. I had to keep reminding myself that it was OK because this WASN'T self-inflicted.

So yeah. Totally relate!

AlaskaGirl 01-14-2017 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ (Post 6289866)
Yes, I can totally relate. Keep posting. Do you need to see a doctor?
Prayers, PJ.

I'm much better today PJ, thanks for asking! It's Saturday, 7a.m. where I am. A lovely non-hungover Saturday morning :)

Gottalife 01-14-2017 11:02 AM

It is a bit like the boy who cried wolf isn't it? I lied about being sick so often that when I was really sick, no one believed me. I wasn't even sure I believed myself.

AlaskaGirl 01-14-2017 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gottalife (Post 6290410)
It is a bit like the boy who cried wolf isn't it? I lied about being sick so often that when I was really sick, no one believed me. I wasn't even sure I believed myself.

This. Totally this.