Notices

Irritable Outbursts

Old 12-29-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Irritable Outbursts

Today started so great....
My kids have done nothing but fight and half-@$$ their chores all day. I BLEW UP! I yelled at them in the worst anger. I calmly told them to do so many things over and over until I lost it.
I'm sitting in the other room just calming myself down as I type this. I'm thankful I can drop them off at my wife's job while I go see the Dr. I don't know what I would've done had I needed to bring them with me
Old 12-29-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's a raw time overall, glad you were able to calm down. My kids drive me nuts too sometimes, make sure you make amends later. Make sure you let your doc know all the things that are going on.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a raw time. Also kids tend to get a bit bratty in the holidays. I remember getting the same way as a kid myself, and every time I've left the house and seen kids they've been playing up.

Hope the doctor can help you out a bit. Also, it's worth trying some breathing exercises to calm yourself. Know it sounds daft, but it can make such a diffrence.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just got back from the Dr. He gave me some Trazadone to help me get back on my regular circadian rhythm. Go to bed around 11-12, Wake up at 7 type stuff. Which is what I need, so I can make it to the gym by 8:30. We also went into some other non-alcohol related, which I won't get into, but believe will help me towards my sobriety. As far as the outburst, I apologized to my kids. Still told them they were in the wrong, but I should not have yelled like I did
Old 12-29-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mester View Post

My kids have done nothing but fight and half-@$$ their chores all day. I BLEW UP! I yelled at them in the worst anger.
As I look back I see where
with more time sober I (we) learn to better deal with these situations.
Sometimes slowly -- but -- baby steps in the right direction.
When it happens on occasion -- Sure feels good when I keep my cool on.
M-Bob
Old 12-29-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's the season to be angry, Falalalala-lalalala! It's in the air. Too much of a good thing. Yesterday at AA pretty much everyone was irritable and edgy. My daughter has been driving me up a wall. Thank god she's at dads tonight.

I know I have to really pause. Set my head straight each morning with some meditation. Really watch my thinking so I don't explode
Old 12-29-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went off on my drunk sib yesterday. I never do that! Tis the season indeed.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
G-Woman

My co-workers were being particularly bitchy and annoying today. I spent about half my shift in my own head ignoring them, before I started to 'put them in their place.' I swear it was like refereeing two toddlers.

Even thought you lost your temper it sounds like you did the right thing and apologized. I'm definitely much more raw and irritable in my early recovery too.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The outburst will subside as time goes on. It's part of sobering up. Just don't drink. It gets easier to manage the small things in life that irritate us.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You will level off. Don't let this fool you in to thinking if you go back to drinking you'll feel better. This is temporary, keep pressing on.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Kids can be infuriating. So can retired husbands. I have made a conscious effort not to scream, or bitch loudly.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
You will level off. Don't let this fool you in to thinking if you go back to drinking you'll feel better. This is temporary, keep pressing on.
I know. Last thing I wanted after that was a drink.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is just sometimes hard to control yourself at all times.

I insulted my wife this morning cause she was putting Baileys Irish Creme in her coffee this morning. She drank all day yesterday and starts right back up first thing in the morning.

Don't know if my anger is out of jealousy that she is drinking or because I am sick of living with an active alcoholic.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Stay strong, Doug. Keep your sobriety squarely in front of you, and you will be okay. Your side of the street, right?
Personally, I am very ready for the hols to be over. My drunken sib has been more drunken than ever. Hoping things calm down soon.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post

Don't know if my anger is out of jealousy that she is drinking or because I am sick of living with an active alcoholic.
I know that feeling. My wife is not an alcoholic by any means. When I asked her to stop drinking for 6 months so I can get back into sobriety her response was but I don't have a drinking problem. Frustrating to say the least.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mester View Post
I know that feeling. My wife is not an alcoholic by any means. When I asked her to stop drinking for 6 months so I can get back into sobriety her response was but I don't have a drinking problem. Frustrating to say the least.

My wife knows she has a drinking problem.

She tells herself that as long as she goes to work and takes care of business she hasn't "crossed the line". She also tells herself she deserves to drink and unwind because she does work so hard.

We all know these are lame excuses that every alcoholic, including me, have used.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

As a parent of two children I know the frustration that you experienced and I can't write with honesty that I haven't had the same reaction. That written, the big picture is that you're the adult and one of the most formidable ways kids learn is by witnessing their parents' behavior.

That you posted here means that you have some regret about your behavior; we're human and don't always do what we rationally know is right so in an age appropriate manner express what you wrote here to your kids. They'll appreciate your honesty while also getting a reinforcement about how situations should be handled even if we don't always meet that high standard.

Reaching one's boiling point with kids is a universal experience even if one has never touched a drop of alcohol or any other drug.