Notices

Mental fog

Old 12-25-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mental fog

When did the mental fog start easing up for you? I was fine this morning then all of a sudden I couldn't finish my sentence because I got lost in blank thought. This has happened on other occasionso too. Doesn't last long. Just seems to come and go
80 hours since my last drink
Old 12-25-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me, about 6 weeks it started easing. Slowly.

But different things for different people so you could well be different.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am 62 days sober and I have good days and bad days.

I was feeling better the last few weeks but I have been very anxious with brain fog the last few days. I figure it is just holiday stress.

I am sure I will feel better next week.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The mental recovery took a long longer than the physical for me too, but at least it's not a painful or dangerous thing for the most part. Sometimes it just felt like my brain would "lock up" momentarily.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Mester,

I definitely felt spaced out for a few weeks. I still get forgetful, but I think that is more related to having too many things in my head at the same time.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I still get mental fog from time to time...7/8 years later

Seriously things cleared up for me slightly in a few weeks and more markedly in a few months. But there are other things that can affect mental state. Physical illness, stress, anxiety, depression...I experience periodic bouts of low mood and anxiety that cycle every 6/12 months or so. When I am depressed my thinking slows and it feels much like a 'mental fog'.

At least with booze out of the way I get to see what lies underneath and deal with it for what it is

P
Old 12-25-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My first month I put a kitchen spatula away in my husband's underwear drawer. It was clean, fortunately.

Then I completely forgot I had four loaves of bread in the oven, to the extent that I wandered by later, wondered why the oven was still on, and turned it off with the bread still in it.

It gets better after a couple of months.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I started to feel much better, more clear, at about six months. By a year, I felt normal again.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Im hoping mine will clear up soon.. One thing that has lead me to be worried about my drinking (I think today is day 1 of non drinking) is that i have been forgetting everything.. I am constantly forgetting what i walked into a room for or forgetting what people have said to me.. Hoping it isnt permanent damage..
Old 12-26-2016, 01:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mester View Post

When did the mental fog start easing up for you?

80 hours since my last drink
At 80 hours I was still in a very deep fog. Seems you are doing well? Relax and get plenty of rest. Rebuilding of mind, body and soul.

MM
Old 12-26-2016, 01:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was pretty "brain sick" at the end of my drinking. I felt, simultaneously like I was on speed and I was more lethargic than I'd ever felt before for probably 30 days.

Nervous energy and lethargy at the same time.

Brain fog was terrible. I'd say two months until I felt "normal" and a year to feel like someone had had never drank before.

It's odd because I went to work and did normal things for the whole time but I definitely felt foggy and off. In the first month there were times when I felt like I was outside of my body a little bit. Like I was watching a movie of my life not fully present.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

5-7 months somewhere in there.

but here i am years later and i fog out. there is also one supplement i take somtiems that will cause me to basicly blank out here and there. Its a tough sensation to descibe basicly one min i'm here next min i'm non existent then i come back to its always brief but i probably loose a few seconds here and there and its like wtf was I? I try not to take it as a result.

then of course sometimes its nice to be a bit foggy. Then i dont have to worry about the busy mind of mine always thinken thinken thinken driven me nuts sometimes its nice if its a bit foggy and strugglen lol then i can have some more freedom lol.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

6 months...got a lot better after 30 days though. Hang in there buddy.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Mester
I believe you're also taking librium? That by itself causes fog. Don't sweat it. Give it time.

I am over 4 months and my brain practically had a hard drive fail yesterday trying to figure out grams to oz's in a recipe I was making
Old 12-26-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

One thing to keep in mind is that cognitive functions can be due to many things, including just normal fluctuations. No one is equally sharp all the time. What I had while drinking and for a couple months off and on after stopping was an annoyingly short attention span, it was hard to focus on anything for longer periods of time. It one quite a torture because I could not afford to just relax, had a lot of work to do with deadlines etc. It cleared up after a few months.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You're doing fine. Just don't attempt to drive any place you're not familiar with, you'll get lost.