Notices

A.u.d

Old 12-21-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A.u.d

I recently came across this term which stands for alcohol use disorder.
It is somewhat ambiguous. Of course enough of the stuff can create massive disorder. Another way of looking at is is to claim that some people have a disorder rendering them unfit to consume alcohol. One must question as to whether alcohol is of sufficient worth to anyone to make it a need for anyone.
Social acceptability, marketing, and the profit nexus of mega corporations tends to get in the way. Alcohol is a poisonous drug containing over fifteen carcinogens, it is a major factor in liver disease, high blood pressure, a concern regarding some cancers, a major factor in violence, road trauma, depression, mental illness, work absenetism, malnutrition, and a host of other nasties.
To see AUD as some sort of lack in utilizing the substance cleverly seems to send the wrong message. Latest medical research indicated that even one std drink can increase heart palpitations by 4% and this happens cumulatively. The pro alcohol lobby has also promoted red wine has a heart helper, when in fact the number of drinks needed to provide such benefit would be round one hundred. So much for shifty marketing. In the bad old days some "scientists" claimed smoking was good for the throat.
Lets not get sucked in, total abstinence is not a missing out on those grapes of wrath or beery bellies it's a blessing.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol Use Disorder: it's common language in health services in the UK. I believe the thinking is to avoid labelling (Alcoholism) and to address a wider range of issues than the term Alcoholism is used to convey I.e harmful patterns of drinking, Pyschological dependence without physical dependence etc

Problem drinking is riddled with euphemisms and polite turns of phrase...my uncle, a chronic alcoholic, would often talk about his 'Epilepsy'...I believe his doctor had given him this label because he was unwilling to discuss blackouts and withdrawal seizures as being in any way related to his alcohol consumption.

It is what it is

P
Old 12-21-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wouldn't say it's from the alcohol lobby, there actually are numerous government studies that show small amounts of alcohol do have heart health benefits and a reduction of strokes, likely because it can act as a blood thinner. Though of course heavy alcohol consumption has devastating health consiquences.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

No matter what you call it, if I do something that hurts me or someone else, it's my responsibility to stop doing it. I don't need advertising, medical science, or the government to tell me the difference between what's right and what's wrong for me.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
I wouldn't say it's from the alcohol lobby, there actually are numerous government studies that show small amounts of alcohol do have heart health benefits and a reduction of strokes, likely because it can act as a blood thinner. Though of course heavy alcohol consumption has devastating health consiquences.
http://www.grubstreet.com/2016/09/in...-benefits.html

Just sayin'...