Notices
View Poll Results: How close did you fit the Drunk Uncle or Wine Mommy Stereotype?
I was 100% totally that guy/gal!
45.45%
I was halfway there.
22.73%
Meh. Not even close.
31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Drunk Uncle/Wine Mommy Stereotype?

Old 12-13-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Drunk Uncle/Wine Mommy Stereotype?

After reading older threads that have been revived recently regarding traits & characteristics we had as an active alcoholic, I found it amusing at just how close I was to fitting those common stereotypes to a letter!

Obviously, I was the drunk uncle that couldn't bear to attend any type of social function without being half in the bag. I was the guy putting bourbon in my coffee at 7am on a Saturday morning. I was the guy who ditched my empty glass bottles at the gas station, etc.

So exactly how close did you fit the "drunk uncle" or "wine mommy" stereotype?

Last edited by steve-in-kville; 12-13-2016 at 02:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-13-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I actually did have a "drunk uncle" that lived with my grandma whom we visited every week when I was a kid. He didn't fit the stereotype of the half in the bag outcast of the family that would make a fool out of himself at family functions, rather would always stay in his room and would only come out and sit on the couch here and there, often not saying much if anything. I didn't find out until when I was older he was an alcoholic.
Though I can say I do feel as though I might do the same in the situation of being anti-social and not wanting to deal with family or life/people in general.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

I was the fat laid back easy going guy. But in my own house when no one was around but my wife I'd get drunk barf happily keep drinking routine peed on the floor the tv my closet barfed on my wife one night from drinking so much but blamed indigestion crapped myself multiple times etc..

Since I got sober however I'm not as laid back I'm more edgy I'm more likely to speak up etc.. I am still a pig tho I do still have a really active bladder i.e. You'd think I drink a lot with often I go and here all those years I thought it was just the beer. I do however make it to the toilet.

And I'm not sure but I don't thing I've barfed since I got sober yet back then it was a fairly regular occurance.

I had the beer can garden would shoot empties while drunk with a BB gun happily burned the trash with a beer in one hand and a smoke in the other. So I'm sure I met some stereo type definition of something
Old 12-13-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have no kids.. and that was a conscious choice, so later when I was an alcoholic, I couldn't help but wonder if I would have still gone down the same path.. but regardless, I was the drunk aunt, but my nieces will never know that, we didn't see each other enough. Now the younger one knows me as the aunt who always gives her books and puts a butterfly sticker on the inside front cover, lol

Now the drunk dad I had... and I have a drunk aunt and a drunk uncle, that's my mother's younger siblings. They are very mellow though, they don't do anything crazy.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was a drunk uncle. One of my nephews told me that I drank too much beer one time. I can still remember it like yesterday. Ouch!
Old 12-13-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think it's dangerous to stereotype our drinking, even if it is in the distant past. In some ways I think doing so allows our addiction to somehow try and minimize or rationalize it as "normal" - and open that little crack in the door.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
..... and open that little crack in the door.
I see your point. I'm going on a bit of a movie/DVD fast for a little while. Watching smartly dressed men sip scotch & bourbon and then go on to save the world... that was a cracking the door for me.

Besides, I have three ultrarunning DVD's I haven't really watched yet. That'll get me through the new year, anyway.