Notices

I think its time to become a hippie

Old 12-13-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Groovy. I'm kind of a hippie myself.

I'm a nonbeliever. As such, I always have people trying to "show me the way". I keep in mind that from their viewpoint, they need to try and save me. I understand that many Christians feel it their duty ( a true part of their belief system) to spread the word and minister to me. That's ok. I just remind myself that their intent is good and I need not agree with them. I simply smile, nod, thank them for their good intentions, and then go on my merry way. I let things like this roll off my back, in true hippie fashion.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
quat

The dude abides
Old 12-13-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Groovy. I'm kind of a hippie myself.

I'm a nonbeliever. As such, I always have people trying to "show me the way". I keep in mind that from their viewpoint, they need to try and save me. I understand that many Christians feel it their duty ( a true part of their belief system) to spread the word and minister to me. That's ok. I just remind myself that their intent is good and I need not agree with them. I simply smile, nod, thank them for their good intentions, and then go on my merry way. I let things like this roll off my back, in true hippie fashion.
Thank you. The fact that you are the exception to the rule is the reason I generally keep my faith to myself, and when religion comes up, I am the one sitting back like
Old 12-13-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth
Thank you. The fact that you are the exception to the rule is the reason I generally keep my faith to myself, and when religion comes up, I am the one sitting back like
yeah, discussions about religion can get rather heated sometimes, but I try to look at it from others' points of view. I asked a very close friend once, "Are you scared of me going to Hell?" (mind you, I'm not scared, I just wondered what he thought.) His response, "yes, I'm terrified" So, I suppose I can see why someone who cares about me would want to save me from that fate. Although I disagree about my fate and am completely comfortable with my beliefs, I figure you can't blame a guy for trying, right?

I think that when others say, "I'll pray for you", if I take issue with that or just poohpooh it by saying "Oh, I don't believe in God", then I miss the intent of the message. The message is "I want good for you", so I just say "thank you".

If someone is overzealous, or even confrontational, there is always a way out by practicing skillful conversational exits. I know what I believe and I'm not interested in being saved, nor am I interested in trying to persuade others to think the way I think. I do actually love a good respectful debate about religion or lack there of, but I find that is rare. When I have experienced it, all parties have come away with newfound respect for each other and our vastly different beliefs.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

It wasn't until sobriety that I discovered peace, inner peace. Follow your own heart and live your own life.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

No advice here steve. -just wanted to say you deserve the "Thread Title of the Year" award. -I feel ya, man!
Old 12-14-2016, 04:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Took me awhile to get comfortable in my sober skin. Stay sober and true to yourself and you'll be fine in the long run.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Let your freak flag fly, brother.

Hippies certainly made the best music I have ever heard (well, at least rock music, and even some country music like Gram Parsons and the Byrds).
Old 12-14-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I don't feel that I qualify for being a hippie per se (there are things in that lifestyle I would never be able to pull off, or enjoy) but I have definitely been very individualistic in my whole life. Actually becoming a bit less so with life experience and age, I make more effort to conform and fit in... but probably only on the surface and the truth is, mostly because this can give me other layers of freedom to do things as I please Of course the sober version of this is much more viable as I am not manipulating my environment anymore to accommodate my often carefully designed and executed drinking-related quirks and irresponsibility. But I think I probably will never shred my individualism, and I don't want to, it works for me.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Originally Posted by leviathan View Post
No advice here steve. -just wanted to say you deserve the "Thread Title of the Year" award. -I feel ya, man!
Sure, I appreciate the nomination!