Notices

OMG! THE ITCHINESS! Trying to taper

Old 11-21-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OMG! THE ITCHINESS! Trying to taper

*I know no one can give medical advice, I am just looking for support/personal experiences*

So this is my second time trying to quit since I developed this alcohol abuse problem about 5 months ago. 500ml of vodka 5 out of 7 days a week. I am now more at 3-4 days a week of drinking.

The last time my I quit cold turkey and my palms became super crazy itchy 3 days after I cut out alcohol. It was terrible. Antihistamines helped and hot showers but I spent a long night worried, you see I've had severe allergic reactions before and was worried it was the start of that (it didn't progress).

Well, I am on Day 2 of my taper. Yesterday I had no booze, today I was starting to feel a bit itchy so just had my first drink. My hands nearly IMMEDIATELY got crazy insanely omg itchy. My lips are starting to tingle a bit too.

I've read that itchy hands and feet are a common symptom of withdrawal.

What did everyone do to combat it? It's driving me crazy! I'm trying not to worry about it but I KNOW I can't see my doctor for at least another week. Maybe I should quit cold turkey but I am worried about DTs. I'm debating putting hot or maybe cold on my hands. They are red and frigging crazy itchy. Feet are starting to itch too.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sober style

I had crazy itchiness for the first 2-3 weeks of my sobriety, damn near drove me crazy. Made falling asleep especially difficult. The sheets rubbing on it felt like little bugs crawling on my skin. Gradually got better, thank God.

As for what I did to combat it, I used moisturizer and lots of zen-like serenity and patience.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
I had crazy itchiness for the first 2-3 weeks of my sobriety, damn near drove me crazy. Made falling asleep especially difficult. The sheets rubbing on it felt like little bugs crawling on my skin. Gradually got better, thank God.

As for what I did to combat it, I used moisturizer and lots of zen-like serenity and patience.
Hi Snazzy! Thanks for your post!

Have you had an allergic reaction before? Did it feel just like that? OH GOD IT'S SO ITCHY I CAN'T STAND IT LOL

Did you ever bother taking antihistamines?
Old 11-21-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What's interesting is that the itching got so much worse after you drank again...if it was from withdrawal, isn't that backwards?

Medical professionals, ASAP...maybe an urgent care or walk-in clinic since you can't see your regular doctor right away?
Old 11-21-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by Vivien View Post
Hi Snazzy! Thanks for your post!

Have you had an allergic reaction before? Did it feel just like that? OH GOD IT'S SO ITCHY I CAN'T STAND IT LOL

Did you ever bother taking antihistamines?

Hi Vivien! Yes, the itchiness was reminiscent of allergic skin reactions. I never did take antihistamines though.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
Hi Vivien! Yes, the itchiness was reminiscent of allergic skin reactions. I never did take antihistamines though.
I just took a full extra strength one.

I'm now seriously wondering if I should continue tapering or just quit cold turkey. I thought tapering would be safer but if I'm still going to get this crazy itchiness, is it really worth it to taper? Speaking out loud.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You really need to seek medical advice on this issue Vivien. Especially on the decision to quit vs. tapering. Both of them can be unsafe without medical input.

Asking for "personal experience" and how certain drugs affected others is equivalent to asking for medical advice. I understand you are worried but we simply cannot give out medical advice here, it is against forum policy.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No help from me! I had some serious problems I had to get through when I quit cold turkey, but luckily, itchy skin wasn't one of them. I dunno if it's a real skin problem or just your imagination. Someone is bound to know around here, I hope!
Old 11-21-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
You really need to seek medical advice on this issue Vivien. Especially on the decision to quit vs. tapering. Both of them can be unsafe without medical input.

Asking for "personal experience" and how certain drugs affected others is equivalent to asking for medical advice. I understand you are worried but we simply cannot give out medical advice here, it is against forum policy.
Oh I understand! I will reword my post that you're referencing asking advice on tapering vs cold turkey.

Really I just want to hear that itching IS normal and that I'm not alone. It's so so so comforting to have people who have lived this.

I'm trying to hold off from a hot shower as I find that always makes my itching worse.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just took a full extra strength one.

I'm now seriously wondering if I should continue tapering or just quit cold turkey. I thought tapering would be safer but if I'm still going to get this crazy itchiness, is it really worth it to taper? Speaking out loud.
Originally Posted by Upstairs View Post
No help from me! I had some serious problems I had to get through when I quit cold turkey, but luckily, itchy skin wasn't one of them. I dunno if it's a real skin problem or just your imagination. Someone is bound to know around here, I hope!
What was your experience like? How are you doing with your sobriety?

Thanks for your post
Old 11-21-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had severe itchiness when coming off a horrible bender, but also still get it mainly from dry skin with the cold weather setting in.
The first step would be to cut out the drinking, also going to a convenient care/urgent care would also be a good idea to get yourself checked out before you can make it to your primary care doc.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Really I just want to hear that itching IS normal and that I'm not alone.
You are definitely not alone Vivien, but we cannot tell you that itching is "normal". Each and every one of us goes through different withdrawal symptoms, but dry/itchy skin can have a plethora of causes - allergies, dehydration, exposure, sunburn, viruses, you name it. And certainly a lot of these things are common...but we cannot tell you for certain that it's CAUSED by your tapering/cutting back. Only a doctor can attempt to diagnose that.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just made an appointment with my doctor, they had a last minute cancellation for Wednesday. Going to discuss everything with her then. Was kind of hoping to do it on my own but I also don't want to risk it. I just want to do this the safest way possible.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you!
Old 11-21-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Just made an appointment with my doctor, they had a last minute cancellation for Wednesday. Going to discuss everything with her then. Was kind of hoping to do it on my own but I also don't want to risk it. I just want to do this the safest way possible.
I think that's a great idea Vivien. And please know that you are very welcome ( and encouraged ) to ask questions about recovery itself here - almost every one of us went through this at least once. I personally tried to detox on my own and ended up in the ER the last time so it's encouraging that you are seeking help proactively.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!
So my doctor was very understanding. It was super embarrassing though, I CRIED. I did not think I would get emotional but I did.

Anyways. She said I should not quit cold turkey due to the risk of seizures. I either need to taper off or take three days off work and take valium. I literally am unable to take three days off work right now so that is encouraging me to continue my taper.

I'm going to continue tapering and try my luck. If I can't do it, I will try the Valium but I'm really hoping I'm able to do this on my own.

She recommended AA but I am not religious and worry about how religious they can be. I mentioned this forum and she said any help is good for a recovering addict. So I am just going to try to stick around and post on here when the urge hits me. And just try to become a support for others as well.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
sober style

Good going, Vivien. I've used SR exclusively as well, has worked great for me, almost 6 months sober now.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My taper plan is to continue 1 day booze, 1 day no booze (which is basically what my habits have been). I'm 2 shots down so far, tonight I am going for 4 shots down from my normal. So far no symptoms and I haven't drank since Monday.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My taper plan is to continue 1 day booze, 1 day no booze (which is basically what my habits have been). I'm 2 shots down so far, tonight I am going for 4 shots down from my normal. So far no symptoms and I haven't drank since Monday.
If you haven't drank since monday, you should keep going with it! There is no need to taper if you've already made it this far.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Was one day drinking and then one day not drinking what the Dr suggested you do, Vivien?

D