Notices

What works for you to keep you from drinking?

Old 10-07-2004, 11:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What works for you to keep you from drinking?

Well, I made it through a Wednesday without drinking. For those of you who read my previous post, that is sort of my breaking point every week. I am sooooo happy and I woke up this morning feeling great.

Physically, I am having these little pin-pricking feelings in my body and sweating a little bit. I guess it's a bit of withdrawal. It's hard because I know it's nothing a six pack or two wouldn't fix, but I'm determined to get through this day and the next and the next. But for now, I am just thinking about today.

Anyway, just wondering what helps you all to keep from drinking? Yesterday, I went and bought a bouquet of fresh flowers, a scented candle and a box of herbal tea with my usual "drinking money." It was odd sitting there drinking peppermint tea, but it felt good. I cleaned my whole house, and at the end of the evening, I looked around and felt content instead of numb. I didn't quite know what to do with the extra time--you know drinking doesn't let you really feel the time go by. But that extra time made me realize I have to find something to take up that extra time. I guess that is where meetings might come in handy, but I just don't know if meetings are for me. Actually, I shouldn't say that....I want to go to one, but I'm nervous. It's like being the new kid in a big, scary school.

For now, I know I will get through today and at this point, that is enough...
Old 10-07-2004, 12:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi future,
I felt the same way when I first stopped, curled up on my bed hating life knowing all I had to do was go out and fix and how much better I would feel. We really do just take it one day at a time. Sometimes I was taking it a second at a time.
My first meetings were in 1987 and I was in a rehab for people in the military. I guess it made it easier to go cause I didn't have a choice. All I can say is you've found the courage to put down the drink one day at a time, find the courage to do whatever you need to in order to stay sober. For me I couldn"t do it alone.
I did so many things to help me stay sober in the beginning. The biggest thing that keeps me sober today is knowing I don't want to go back to living the way I was. I don't forget the pain and hopelessness I was tormented by. And theres no kidding myself anymore. All I have to do is pick up a drink or drug and my life will go right back to where it was and worse.
so hang in, keep posting here, keep an open mind. No matter what don't pick up that first drink.
welcome
H
Old 10-07-2004, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mostly Sunny Skies

Dear Futurebound,

If you are not in a formal program like AA, an outpatient program, or one of the many alternative programs, it is very important that you find a way to learn all you possibly can about alcohol abuse.

Being here at Sober Recovery is good. Read, read, and read. Look at many of the longer and older threads. Follow the links to the sites that people recommend. There are lots of really good tips.

It sounds like you are committed. That is probably the most important.

First get rid of every bit of temptation. If you've got any alcohol in the house, get rid of it. If you've still got friends who drink, get rid of them -- at least for now. If you shop where alcohol is readily available, find another place to shop.

Wait ten minutes. If you think you really want a drink, tell yourself that you will re-evaluate in ten minutes. Set a timer. If at the end of those ten minutes, you still want a drink, repeat the procedure. Fix a cup of tea or have a soft drink. Call somebody on the phone. If there is nobody to call, go for a walk -- just not in the direction of the liquor store.

Start a diary. Actually, start three diaries. I keep mine in a ***** E-mail NOTEPAD. That way I can access it where ever I am in the world, and it is private only to me. Make yourself fill them out at least once a day, preferrably twice a day. I start a new set about every three months. Read everything you've writtten each time you are done.

The three that I keep are my long term goals, my thoughts for the day which include my plans for the day, and my daily drinking record.

These days my drinking record is mostly zeros, but it wasn't always. I have columns of the date, day, and quantity of drink. It starts on Monday and goes through Sunday. A sample would be (no I didn't drink during these past days):

Mon 09/27/04 0 drinks
Tue 09/28/04 0 drinks
Wed 09/29/04 6 beers
Thu 09/30/04 0 drinks
Fri 10/01/04 0 drinks
Sat 10/02/04 6 beers, 1/2 pint vodka
Sun 10/03/04 3 glasses of wine

Weekly total equivalent = 21 drinks

I have kept a daily total like this for a number of years. When I was having problems, it really helped me to spot the days when I was having difficulties. From my other diaries, I knew what I was doing on these days. It helped me plan around the problem days.

Try to find some aquaintenances who've been through it. There are lots of them out there, and they can really help.

I'm sure many others will pass along a lot of other tips.

Keep coming back. There is a lot of support and good info here.

Good luck,

Toivo
Old 10-07-2004, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What works for me is to remember the BAD things I did and said while drinking.
And to come here to SR and read and help others if I can!
Old 10-07-2004, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I think you all had great suggestions. The memory of the bad stuff is helping me to move on as well.

I just got back from a brisk walk in the beautiful weather. Wow! I am seeing things as though for the first time. I was sweating a bit while dealing with sitting here thinking about alcohol. So, I thought, why not let that sweat work for me. I put on my sneakers and hit the pavement. In a way, this pain feels good because it makes me never want to go through this again. But at the same time, I am enjoying the sensation of not drinking...and the way things look through my sober eyes and without a constant hangover. Of course, some of this feeling is as bad as a hangover, but knowing that it is because my body is healing is helping a whole lot.