Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Bad time right now--and something just hit home...

Notices

Old 10-08-2004, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, it's 9 AM where I am at and I want a drink sooooo bad right now. I had recorded the Oprah with the alcoholic mom and just finished watching it. Instead of it resolving me not to want to drink, now I want to drink more. That lady on there named Sarah is just like me. It was scary watching her because it was like watching myself. I have a huge assignment due right now (I go to school 0), but I think I need to go find a meeting to go to today because I am afraid I will break either today or this evening and I don't want to. I've gone since Monday morning without a drink and I want to keep going with this. Sobriety feels good, but struggling to stay sober hurts.

I don't know where I am going to get the courage to go to that first meeting... but I've got to find that courage today, because I don't think I can make it through the day without it.

I'm feeling kind of nauseous and shaky right now. I am hating this feeling...
Old 10-08-2004, 12:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you talking about an A.A. meeting? I can't say I've been in the same exact situation, but I did feel the same way before I went to my first Al-Anon meeting. I was afraid, and there were plenty of times where I could have just said "forget it", and not have end up going. I felt a lot better after I went though.

You can do it man....I'll say a prayer for you.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mostly Sunny Skies

Dear Futurebound,

I don't know which military installation you are on, but I assume that as a dependent, you have access to a very good clinic.

Get yourself there. If you are concerned that someone might see you, go to one of the other installations on the island. Your problem is something that military doctors are very familiar with. They can help you with the withdrawl symptoms and the cravings.

Best of luck

Toivo
Old 10-08-2004, 02:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Futurebound,

Congratulations on your sober time. I'm sorry it's hard for you right now, but I firmly believe that the only way it gets better is to challenge it. Each time you feel a craving and you fight back, you win and you get stronger. I think that's the only way to do it. Each time it gets a bit easier!

Hang in there, you can do it.

Love, Anna
Old 10-08-2004, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck to you today! I hope you find the help you need. You're doing better than me. I haven't even made the first step yet to recovery...woke up this morning with a horrible hangover......and I'm thinking about quitting everyday.