Notices

Newfound Hobbies & Interests in Sobriety?

Old 10-16-2016, 12:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
Matt M, in sobriety. Like in recovery. It's different in the absence of addictive thinking, but you describe still being in it.

I don't really get what you mean.

Before I had any issues with alcohol, I always had an addictive personality.
It could be with food for example - I'd go from one extreme to the other. Either no food for a few days or eat like a pig for a few days.

Same with buying music and films, I couldn't just buy one or two, if I had the money I'd have to buy about £100 worth.

Both those examples can obviously be problematic, as with alcohol, but I don't think there is anything at all wrong in having a strong interest in certain sports, films, reading etc.

I don't want that deep interest to go away. I don't want to end up in life where my only joy in life is 'taking walks' or something like that.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Wink

Do you use the kind of crossbow Daryl Dixon uses? Point and shoot? I could do that!
I actually did try crossbow hunting for a while. I'm not a hunter, so I sold everything. Besides, the zombie population in our area isn't what it was years ago.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Go, Daryl Dixon! 7 more days until "The Walking Dead" returns. Woot.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
i actually did try crossbow hunting for a while. I'm not a hunter, so i sold everything. Besides, the zombie population in our area isn't what it was years ago.
lmfao!
Old 10-16-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Those pesky zombies. . .

I also added new hobbies and interests into my life when I quit.

Just a few:

Blending herbal tea
Restarting playing guitar after 30 years away
Voice lessons
Crossfit
Hiking
Yoga

Nowadays I've just begun endurance trail running with a goal to complete
a 50 mile trail race next year.

Obviously, none of this would have happened, or even been possible drinking.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If only I looked forward to church or football on Sundays as much as I looked forward to The Walking Dead on Sundays lol I'm in Steeler Country and I can't get excited about football! But I will turn the game on and make pretend.

Anyway... to MattM. That's not a bad thing, you just need to learn to turn that ability to funnel all your energy and attention in to one thing in to something that benefits you, like something you can make money off of.. just my two cents.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Those pesky zombies. . .

Heh... I thought the bastards were digging through my compost bin at night. Turns out it was just a family of skunks.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Go, Daryl Dixon!
Norman Reedus? Ever see the Boondock Saints with him and Sean Patrick Flannery? You'd like it!
Old 10-16-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Matt M

Anyway... to MattM. That's not a bad thing, you just need to learn to turn that ability to funnel all your energy and attention in to one thing in to something that benefits you, like something you can make money off of.. just my two cents.

Well much of my attention at the moment is looking for a new job (i've been out of work since mid-August and it's driving me insane) so that's my money goal.

But the things in my life I enjoy, my interests, are what keep me going.
I said to a friend the other day that no matter how **** life got, I'd always want to stay living simply because of the interests I have.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yeah.. don't get that either.. there are too many enjoyable aspects of just living life to feel like you have to be absorbed in any one thing to make it worthwhile..
Old 10-16-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
I started playing chess online again. I was all over the place the first few weeks and made some dreadful blunders, but now I've evened out.

Next weekend I'm taking my first flying lesson. Now that's a childhood dream that will come true if I eventually get my pilot licence.
Very cool. I used to play a lot of online chess myself, was an early member of ICC. I even played a few years of face-to-face tournaments back in the 90s, but they started stressing me out.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm a bit of a control freak which is why drinking never made any sense to me except that I couldn't stop.
Now, 7 and 1/2 months into sobriety i get to play God once again, as the painter on my canvases.

That feeling is indescribable. I can't wait to get back to it full time.

i'm a semi-retired illustrator/painter. When I drank, i always put down the brushes and refused to create anything but havoc in my own life.

So, it's been almost 4 years since I've worked. I was one of the few lucky people who got to do what they loved to do and get paid for it.

2 years ago, nearly all my life's work was destroyed in a flood. I moved everything that was undamaged into storage.

Little by little, i've been moving stuff around and creating a new studio.
This weekend, i finished it. I'm hoping to get back to creating the way i used to as soon as i can shake the rust out.

Other hobbies are Civil War history, WW2 history, action, horror, adventure, scifi movies, radio control cars,airplanes, UFC, football, motorcross, short course off road racing and old and new Mustangs.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Right after I took my last drink in February '14, I dived back into a pre-addiction hobby of building scale replicas of historic buildings. I build them in 1/4" scale, and started a business offering kits of these buildings for sale.
Between my "day job" and this second business, it keeps me occupied very well.

Last edited by Eauchiche; 10-17-2016 at 04:33 PM. Reason: link did not work
Old 10-18-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Allowed more time for my model trains.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
tea enthusiast

exercise and eating healthy has become increasingly important for me
Old 10-18-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

This might be my favourite thread to read!! Just shows how many wonderful interesting things are just floating around us waiting to be discovered!!

Being sober I've been able to really focus on my collage art. I have 2 group shows coming up which I feel completely confident in participating in.

I've also discovered I can actually draw! Very exciting and very fun. The possibilities are endless.

I've gotten very interested in politics and the cultural climate. Researching history and keeping up with world news.

And cooking! I've gotten into trying new recipes where as before it was the bare basics since I was so lazy.

Looking at and getting tattoos. I might put my newly discovered drawing skills into pursuing a job in the field!

Almost 3 months sober now. I literally love it.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

My interests are largely the same as when I drank, except that I now do them sober.

I still go to a lot of car races, plays and football and basketball games.

I still run.

I try to eat healthy.

My interests frequently get crowded out by my work obligations.

I'm not complaining, because saving my job was my impetus for seeking help.

Getting sober sure saved a lot more than my career.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by UKstudent View Post
exercise and eating healthy has become increasingly important for me
That describes me. I'm with what Darwinia said. I'm basically just doing the same old stuff but without the drinking. I have added an hour or so of exercise a day to wear me out so I can sleep better. I was pushed to do all these new hobbies and social activities once out of rehab, but I just stay home and watch TV for the most part in my spare time. I'll follow this thread, maybe I can get some fun ideas!
Old 10-20-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

We're geeks.

I lost my binoculars. I had binoculars for bird watching and now they're gone.

I also used to like ballroom and swing dancing. I would love to go country line dancing, too!
Old 10-20-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

My interests in sobriety are changing.

I took up scuba diving and got certified.

I've always been really into motorcycling but in the last year, I have started to ride & camp. I added a few new motorcycles to my "collection" but am changing my mind about it and, I'm getting interested in trying new things so I sold some of them and while I'll camp more, when I ride, I am planning to ride less frequently and mix in other things. I'm getting really interested in bicycling with my girlfriend.

When I first got sober I added a lot of gym time, funny, I never made it in drinking life.

Hiking is something I said I did but didn't do, now I actually go hiking.

I've taken up studying for some technical certifications - another thing I said I did but didn't do.

Those are the big ones.

Great thread!

CJ.