Notices

Scary day

Old 07-30-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scary day

Worked real hard today. Physical stuff. It's not my job but I have always worked outside when I can. I've always waxed the car, cut the grass, landscaping stuff while drinking beer. Hard work and cold beer just go together to me. So I guess you would call it a trigger for me. I worked all day and then about five o'clock my AV went crazy on me. Feel like I was an inch away from throughing away 28 days of sobriety. Come on man you busted your butt, let's get a six pack and admire your handy work! It's like I turn into some one else. I just stopped where I was and talked myself down. It took awhile but I did it. Scared the crap out of me. I really could use some advice. I have to return to my life and do things. Can't just sit here watching tv for the next twenty years. Sounds like I'm whining but damn that was close. How do you guys handle things that you know are serious triggers? I don't want to fail.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For me, I had to have the attitude that I wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink. Once I got to that point, I had no trouble 'talking myself down' from dangerous thoughts.

For me, I truly want to be sober more than anything. I practice gratitude every day and I know that I will lose all I am grateful for if I drink.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You talked yourself through it which is the important thing. I will have seven months on Monday and the thoughts of drinking do not pop into my head nearly as often as they did the first three months. Every now and then I will be somewhere or see something that makes me think I would like a glass of wine, but I know it wouldn't be a glass and I would be right back at square one again. That is enough to keep me from moving beyond the thought.

Be proud of yourself for letting the thought pass. Go enjoy something good for dinner!
Old 07-30-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's hard to break those associations - but you absolutely can

A glass of sparkling water does more for me after a hard days work than beer ever did...and I'm still 'present' for the evening

D
Old 07-30-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. I feel much much better now. Think it was the vanilla ice cream cone😃
Old 07-30-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Going to have to get some of that sparkling water Dee. Believe it or not I've never had one!
Old 07-30-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What lots of members swear by is ice cream. When you have cravings to drink, eat ice cream instead.

I used to snack on dark chocolate a lot. As I got more sober time, I didn't seem to 'need it' so much.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL I was pretty 'meh' the first time I tried it Matt, but grew to love it.

D
Old 07-30-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

Ice cream and exactly what you did. Resist the urge , dismiss the thoughts of a return to drinking by bringing to the forefront of your thinking what that decision would mean, know that it is not just some temporary ,one-off consequence-less reward or respite. Every time you beat the AV, the more sober muscles you build. There are some things or situations they we can predict will bring on the AV, and some times that feeling will just seem to crop up, either way knowing , by experience(sober muscles) that they are 'doable' , that drinking isn't a foregone conclusion causes those thoughts to happen less and less frequently and with less intensity. Keep truckin
Old 07-30-2016, 09:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Mattq2 -- I had a few situations that were very triggering for me, too. One was working on my old sailboat all day, then getting to sunset and expecting a few glasses of wine as "reward" for my efforts.

For the first few months I just avoided the boat entirely. But like you, I don't want my life on hold! I introduced it back in step by step. I worked on the boat for just a couple hours, in the morning, and left well before sunset. Later I had a work day on the boat, but arranged for a sober friend to come visit me at sunset, and we celebrated with sparkling water.

I eventually broke the associations over time ... I spent all day on my boat today and didn't think about drinking even once. It just takes some planning and mindfulness.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job talking yourself down yesterday Matt. I just had to remind myself that there was no way I was going to back to where I was no matter how good a cold beer sounded in times like these. (It was the first time for me this year I had ever cut my grass without a beer in my hand) Do whatever it takes.... We don't want go back to where that first drinks may lead. You're doing Great BTW....... Keep it up buddy.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
Worked real hard today. Physical stuff. It's not my job but I have always worked outside when I can. I've always waxed the car, cut the grass, landscaping stuff while drinking beer. Hard work and cold beer just go together to me. So I guess you would call it a trigger for me. I worked all day and then about five o'clock my AV went crazy on me. Feel like I was an inch away from throughing away 28 days of sobriety. Come on man you busted your butt, let's get a six pack and admire your handy work! It's like I turn into some one else. I just stopped where I was and talked myself down. It took awhile but I did it. Scared the crap out of me. I really could use some advice. I have to return to my life and do things. Can't just sit here watching tv for the next twenty years. Sounds like I'm whining but damn that was close. How do you guys handle things that you know are serious triggers? I don't want to fail.
How well do I know this scenario? I was just the same - lots of stuff to do around the house and the reward is a cold one. I tried to postpone the beer until after the job was done, seemed beer and work didn't go so well hand in hand, after all. I used to finish half a liter of vodka while stacking wood in my garage. Yes, in the garage so nobody would notice.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
Thank you guys. I feel much much better now. Think it was the vanilla ice cream cone😃
Great job Mattq2! Even though I do not know you personally, I can tell that you are amazing! And you deserve the best!
Old 08-03-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thank you all for the advice and kind words. Taking it day by day and thankful for SR
Old 08-04-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I can totally relate to you! Drinking was my reward for getting all my housework and yardwork done on Friday. The first time I cleaned my house I went in to shock! I wanted that drink so badly. I think I did the same as you and just had a giant bowl of ice cream. Something I wouldn't have done before starting the usual weekend "party". You just have to change the habits as they come. Way to go for getting through it!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Omg

Great question. One I haven't mastered. OY. My quit muscles are weak. Good for about 8weeks, then I cave. God help me
And you.