Notices

Drinking Water... How much in detox?

Old 08-02-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking Water... How much in detox?

I'm detoxing, near the end of withdrawal symptoms but am drinking like two gallons of water/gatorade a day. I'm a big guy (265 lbs) but damn! I just can't seem to drink it fast enough. I'm thinking cottonmouth might be one of the symptoms of my withdrawal meds. Anyone else experience this? I don't remember being this thirsty during my first detox.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome. I remember drinking more than I ever thought I could. Maybe call you Dr if you're very concerned. Wishing you the best through this, along with lots of patience and strength. You're on your way! Don't give up!
Old 08-03-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't know what meds you are on...but cotton mouth could be a side effect for sure.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

I drink a lot of water. 5 years sober still do. I'm always headed to the bathroom. back when i drank i just assumed it was all the beer. now that i'm sober I"m like geeze I guess i just drink too much? i dunno.

I guess you can drink too much water technically speaking but drinking a lot of water isnt nescarily a bad thing.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I always drink a lot of water, even when I was drinking a lot of alcohol. Alcohol dehydrates you, no matter how much water you drink. When I detoxed, I couldn't seem to get enough either, so I pretty much doubled my normal intake. I tend to think it's just the body re-hydrating, but you could check with your doctor to set your mind at ease.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At the beginning, I had those dehydration symptoms like cottonmouth, big time.

I still have something to drink in my hand ALL the time; I will be 6 months sober here soon. I pee all the time, but that's cool. I have a water bottle in my bag, 3 cups of coffee in the morning, non-caffeinated drinks always at hand. I keep myself non thirsty

You may need to drink so much now, and it might become a real habit like me (I am sure I don't need as much liquid as I take in) but your body and mind will let you know.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flyfisher125 View Post
I'm detoxing, near the end of withdrawal symptoms but am drinking like two gallons of water/gatorade a day. I'm a big guy (265 lbs) but damn! I just can't seem to drink it fast enough. I'm thinking cottonmouth might be one of the symptoms of my withdrawal meds. Anyone else experience this? I don't remember being this thirsty during my first detox.
It seems that I do not quite understand what is your problem? Do you think you have to drink a lot or you are actually thirsty?

Except when you really sweat a lot, I don't think you need 2 gallons of water per day. One gallon would be probably more than enough.

If you urinate a lot, this means you are not dehydrated.

Dehydration causes dry mouth (not exactly cottonmouth), decreased amount of yellow urine and weight loss.