Notices

Antabuse aka disulfiram?

Old 06-12-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse aka disulfiram?

Hi Guys and Gals.

I am an alcoholic looking to get better but so far I havn't done to well.

I have been to addiction counselors, rehab, AA and still I can't control myself. So far I this year I have only be a week sober before hitting the drink.

My partner is going to leave me, I am not sure I have some place to live.
As for my work. Well I did work in the drinks industry untill my drinking got so bad that I had to leave. Now I have no income.

This is basically my last chance. I wanted to go on Antabuse for a while, has anyone here found it helpful?

I think if I know I can't drink it was change everything. I would feel as if a weight has been lifted.

I went to my doctor who told me I couldn't have it due to my depression as there was a risk of suicide. She told me I had to see a psychiatrist in order to get it. Is it worth it?
Old 06-12-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome

I think antibuse is a tool to assist in getting some decent sober time. It isn't a solution in and of itself.

For me it didn't work because I'd just stop taking it and wait until I could drink again. For me the solution to long term recovery is an absolute surrender to the fact that I can never drink again. Acceptance that I am what I am, a drunk. If I drink I will die.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I tried it for a while. I drank on it (it's possible if you're motivated), then "forgot" to take it, then decided I don't need no stinkin' drugs, I'm strong enough to stop if I want to, blah blah.

Something to consider. Sounds like you lost a job, your income, and are about to lose your partner and home. Why do you think fear of feeling sick is going to stop you, when those things haven't? It's your addict voice doing your thinking for you.

Maybe, instead, seek support from support groups, every single day, take it one day at a time, and think of it as a 3 month vacation from all alcohol? At the end of 3 months, you can re-evaluate your situation with a clearer brain that is being driven by your frontal lobes, not your addict voice?
Old 06-12-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hi and Welcome

I think antibuse is a tool to assist in getting some decent sober time. It isn't a solution in and of itself.

For me it didn't work because I'd just stop taking it and wait until I could drink again. For me the solution to long term recovery is an absolute surrender to the fact that I can never drink again. Acceptance that I am what I am, a drunk. If I drink I will die.
I understand that it is a tool. Thats why I think it would be helpful as I have never been able to complete a program due to relapse.

So far every time I am sober I have just been hiding myself away from the rest of the world in fear that I will drink. Then as soon as I do get back to some sort of normal life I end up drinking and it just keeps going around in a circle. I am ether drunk and some what functioning or sober and hiding from the world and nether I wish to be.

I think if I was physically unable to drink it would allow me to see what live is really like sober.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

If you are really motivated to change, but keep having impulse control issues, it can be an excellent tool. It was for me years ago when I relapsed and just could not seem to get stopped again for any length of time again no matter what I did. At least for me, it took away the option, so the obsession did not develop and I could concentrate on other things. I have found that an obsession with "not drinking" is still an obsession with drinking of a sort. In any event, from experience I know it can be helpful in cases. It was a huge assist for me long ago.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You mention that your doctor recommended seeing a psychiatrist due to depression. Have you ever done so? There could be a whole lot more going on than you realize that would complicate staying sober. Antabuse might be a great tool to help you but it is a prescription med so I would Recommend getting that appt that your Doctor recommended. Antabuse is not generally a long term solution but it can help in keeping you abstinent for a time so you can get to the root of the problem.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
If you are really motivated to change, but keep having impulse control issues, it can be an excellent tool. It was for me years ago when I relapsed and just could not seem to get stopped again for any length of time again no matter what I did. At least for me, it took away the option, so the obsession did not develop and I could concentrate on other things. I have found that an obsession with "not drinking" is still an obsession with drinking of a sort. In any event, from experience I know it can be helpful in cases. It was a huge assist for me long ago.
I really want to change but I can't seem to conrol myself at all!
Even in an supervised environment I will find a way to drink even if I don't really want too. I feel traped. It's scarier.

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
You mention that your doctor recommended seeing a psychiatrist due to depression. Have you ever done so? There could be a whole lot more going on than you realize that would complicate staying sober. Antabuse might be a great tool to help you but it is a prescription med so I would Recommend getting that appt that your Doctor recommended. Antabuse is not generally a long term solution but it can help in keeping you abstinent for a time so you can get to the root of the problem.
My doctor said that this medication could not be prescribed with out a psychiatrist. My depression is largly due to my former drug and drink abuse. stopping drinking would go a long way for my depression. So thats what I am focusing on at the moment. When I am sober I plan on trying to get to the root of the problem so that I don't relapse.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Irishlad,
Yes, Antabuse has helped me a lot. For years I have had trouble staying sober. I always rejected the idea of taking Antabuse because I think my addictive voice was doing the thinking! Finally I had to take control and actually asked my Dr. for a script. That was 4 months ago, and I haven't had a drink thank God! The idea of getting violently ill if I drink pretty much takes drinking OFF THE TABLE. No more thoughts of drinking, no more evil voice....just take it every day. I would say make the appointment, get the script. I didn't have any side effects accept for a little tiredness, so I take it at night. Best Wishes
Old 06-12-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It seems to be hit or miss from what I've read about it. I asked my doc for it once and she said she doesn't prescribe it and most times people drink on it anyway, and wind up in the hospital. Others seem to find it useful as that fear alone keeps the drinking at bay. It's no miracle cure, but if it seems like something to keep you motivated to not drink, give it a go.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well I have book an addiction counselor, I am going to ask him to recommend a psychiatrist and go from there.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by irishlad View Post
Well I have book an addiction counselor, I am going to ask him to recommend a psychiatrist and go from there.
Sounds like a good plan Irishlad, kudos to you for taking action to better yourself.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's been absolutely worth it for my son. He has been on it a year and He has been grateful for it. If you take its prescribed and don't drink on it, it can be a helpful tool. You still need to work a program so that you aren't just avoiding the problem. Also, have your partner administer it so as to establish trust. Yes, a psychiatrist has to prescribe it, and they will want to see you in a refusal basis. Good luck!