Notices

Finally Beginning

Old 06-08-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally Beginning

I've lurked for years and years. After an unfortunate yet graceful event I have my first attempt at treatment in a couple weeks. This is hard because my mind wants to believe that this means I have a couple weeks left before having to face the music. Also, somewhere inside I'm afraid that if I don't drink til this appointment that they won't take me seriously enough to treat me.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on making the decision to seek help likeastone, that's a brave and commendable choice. "Last hurrah's" almost always end up with very bad results, It's just your addiction talking. And don't worry about the second thought a but...your past and drinking patterns are much more important than if you are actually drinking when you show up. They will do an intake interview and take it very seriously, just be honest.

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 06-13-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think its actually much better to show up to rehab in a sober state. Your commitment and adjustment will be better. Drinking until you get there insures one thing....a more difficult detox. And you could jeopardize your commitment to go.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was told by the nurse to drink enough to get rid of the shakes and sweats. She didn't want me going through withdrawal because i wouldn't get my meds till afternoon.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome nice to meet you
Old 06-09-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Last hurrahs are unnecessary and overrated.

good on you for seeking treatment. Keep us posted!
Old 06-09-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all! It means so much to me!
Old 06-09-2016, 09:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So what do they ask when you first enter treatment?
Old 06-10-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Likeastone.

I assume you are going into inpatient rehab? I've been there twice, and manged to detox at home using Librium from my doctor, so didn't need the detox facility. Just about everyone else did, and they were in it for about five days. I once went to detox ( probably seven years ago) and was told to keep drinking so I wouldn't go into withdrawal, but I luckily only needed a day to get through it. If your doctor could give you some Librium, that might be the way to go.

When you arrive at detox/rehab, they will most likely need to get a history of your drinking, check your vitals, etc. They will try to get you settled in and maybe have you do a group or two. I imagine that all rehabs are different.

I congratulate you on your decision. Just don't leave rehab before you are ready. I thought that I was ready after six weeks, but have slipped/relapsed several times since I got back5 months ago. In counseling now.

If I can answer any other questions for you, please let me know. And good luck!!
Old 06-10-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by likeastone View Post
So what do they ask when you first enter treatment?
it depends. some pressure you into leaving, others don't. do you have insurance or is it self paid?
Old 06-10-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the input. It's not a rehab but a day time place. I have insurance so my evaluation will be $30, we'll see what they say after that.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Having to face the music? ...Sobriety is life. It's a gift. It's not something to dread. It's something to strive for. And if you're lucky, its long-term.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not trying to discredit it. I'd never do that. I just know it's going to take hard work and heart. That's all I meant. No more avoiding or lying about anything.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I understand stone. To be honest with you its really not hard work at all. It's more of a realization that sobriety is better than being drunk. Once that thinking sets in, it becomes much easier to abstain from alcohol.
Hang in there buddy. And just don't drink.