professional detox

Old 05-09-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doubter View Post
Im already under a lot of pressures. dont need him saying these things at all
So what is your plan moving forward? John
Old 05-09-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I understand why you would be upset with your friend. He has no business doing that, and it is harassment. Nonetheless, it's a great time now to move forward on your sobriety. Don't let your resentment for his behavior get in the way of what you need to do.. for yourself.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

As my sponsor told me detox is designed primarily to keep you alive during detox. Keeping sober requires an action plan and follow through.

Since I had failed miserably in developing action plans and follow through I made it easy and just used AA's 12 step plan. It worked!!
Old 05-10-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I have a friend who is going through exacly what you said. I did suggest not going down the route of paying and sticking with a long term plan through the alcohol servise, yes its a long road to detoxing but your made to show your determination by working with them to firstly reduce your level of drinking over a couple of months in which they also provide medical assistance and counselling. I went through this process and found it extremely insightful in terms of knowing its about more than a safe detox, its about what you need to do after.

In the end when he told me he was paying for rehab he was literally desperate, i didnt stop him because its not my responsibility to do so, i had already given my advice and his other friend cant step away for him to come to his own conclusion. Im the recovering alcoholic i knew i didn't cause it, i cant control it and i cant cure it. His other mate thinks the world of him but seems to think nagging him is the way to go. He needs to step back too.

Hopefully you will just accept its a bit of a knock but that you can come back stronger. This is your choice and yours only.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

On Baclofen. Really does help but the hospital prescribed it. The doctor wouldnt have. Has certainly given me my longest period of sobriety. Don't think it is a well known med for alcoholism and despite a few 2 day relaspes it has certainly somewhat curbed the feeling of wanting to get wasted. Had tried naltroxone and campral before but didnt seem to work for me.

And its probably not responsible for me to say and there will be plenty that disagree with me but im also on Anti abuse. Its has saved my ass so many times, but a doc will assess you depending on your mental health risks and liver checks. I just came off it for a few days though when i wasnt on baclofen so became a bit like russian roulette. But the combo of baclofen and anti abuse seem to be doing its job, fingers crossed, not gonna be complacent.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

I merged your two threads cos they were similar Doubter.

D
Old 05-12-2016, 12:31 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Oh my lord. I should never have told the local shop owner about me going to detox. I can't buy alcohol locally anymore.

Hes like i thought you stopped, questioning me continuously. i walked out of the shop. its my life and im trying my best but these people are not helping at all.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:46 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

these people are not helping at all.
Let me tell you, I wish my local liquor store had had scruples like that....

So what's your plan Doubter?

Have you given any thought to how you might stay sober?

If your plan is drinking, you need a better one - y'know?

D
Old 05-12-2016, 02:04 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Tried counting the days sober and all it did was put me in a cycle where I would wind up "rewarding" myself with a drink. My very humble advice is simply to not look back outside of realizing your an alcoholic and avoid.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Oh my lord. I should never have told the local shop owner about me going to detox. I can't buy alcohol locally anymore.

Hes like i thought you stopped, questioning me continuously. i walked out of the shop. its my life and im trying my best but these people are not helping at all.
So you're still drinking? It does not sound to me like you're trying your best, and helping you means making it more likely you will succeed. Providing you with alcohol does not make it more likely you will succeed.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If you are trying your best you wouldn't be in the liquor store in the first place, right?