SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   professional detox (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/390497-professional-detox.html)

Doubter 04-30-2016 03:01 AM

professional detox

Hi everyone. I just had a 10 day professional detox but lapsed for 2 days on day 11 and 12. Today is day 13 and Im not drinking but i was filling in a diary counting my days sober.

im just wondering if i have to start from day 1 again or can i carry on from where i left off? like day 11, it would have been day 13 if it wasn't for the 2 day lapse.

Fabela 04-30-2016 03:09 AM

It doesn't really matter how you count, as long as you stay sober. :) You're getting back on track now, right?

ilovedogs666 04-30-2016 03:13 AM

For me, counting days involve days of continuous sobriety. If you drank in the meantime, how could you be on Day 13 of not drinking? Dont beat yourself up. You did this once, you can do this again. What kind of recovery plan do you have? I found that being in touch with other people in recovery who understood what I was going through gave me hope, strength and inspiration.

Doubter 04-30-2016 03:16 AM

Thanks. Yes i know i messed up but im staying sober and getting back on track. i feel awful for lapsing for 2 days.

im attending aa meetings and following the 12 step program.

Gottalife 04-30-2016 03:54 AM

Have a chat with your sponsor about it. Part of the first step is recognising the different aspects of the illness. You got through 10 day detox which got you past the physical aspect of alcohol, the (phenomeon of craving), so that wasn't what made you drink. In AA our experience suggests the main problem is in the mind, which is why we have the steps.

The argument goes, ok once I start drinking I cant stop, so the soltuion would be not to take the first drink. But we have an inability to do that, a mental blank spot, a memory failure, whatever it is, it is in the mind.

This lapse of your has brought some progress for you. You now know a little bit more about this illness. And that is what step one is, identifying the problem.

Doubter 04-30-2016 01:48 PM

Thanks, I'm still on step 1 part 1. I'm not classing today as 13 days sober, what I meant was if I didn't drink yesterday and the day before I would have been 13 days sober.

I'm filling in a diary and instead of starting from day 1 again I'm going to class tomorrow as day 11, because I've been sober 10 days and lapsed on day 11 and 12.

least 04-30-2016 01:54 PM

For me, if I drank, I started the count over again. Sobriety is days sober in a row.

jseattle 04-30-2016 04:41 PM

It is up to you. There are no rules. This is your life. I personally hate the idea that if you have a lapse all of the hard work you did before counts for nothing - so I reject that. That is fantastic that after a lapse you went right back to sobriety. Find what works for you.

tomsteve 04-30-2016 05:42 PM

to thine own self be true.

personally, if i were to drink for 2 days at this time i wouldnt still have 10 years of continuous sobriety.

....a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty.
....do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.
For he knows he must be honest if he would live at all.
This is not to say that all alcoholics are honest and upright when not drinking.

FLCamper 04-30-2016 05:57 PM

That was something that I found very distasteful at AA. I got to 28 or 30 days on three occasions then drank a night or two. My sponsor forced me to stand up and take another white chip. I felt like I was getting a Scarlet Letter! I was so disappointed and that was one of the reasons I left AA. I was not trying to be deceitful - but they were so smug about it. It was a set back to me.
You've gone 13 days without a drink. End of story in my book.

Doubter 05-01-2016 08:51 AM

I lapsed for 2 days but I'm now on day 12 because I was sober for 10 days.

JeffreyAK 05-01-2016 09:05 AM

By that thinking, I probably had 30 years sobriety when I entered rehab. :)

Doubter 05-01-2016 09:21 AM

I'm not starting again from day 1 after 10 days sobriety and only lapsing for 2 days.

ilovedogs666 05-01-2016 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK (Post 5932556)
By that thinking, I probably had 30 years sobriety when I entered rehab. :)

Yeah. And I just had my one year of sobriety. That means 365 consecutive days without a drop of alcohol. When I first tried to get sober, I relapsed many times. 15 days sober, one day of drinking, one week sober, one week drinking, one month sober, one day of drinking, two weeks sober, three days drinking.. And on and on it went. By that logic I would have 2-3 years of sobriety LOL

It is actually harder to stay sober that way. You keep waking up your addiction even if you drink for one single day only.

JeffreyAK 05-01-2016 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Doubter (Post 5932580)
I'm not starting again from day 1 after 10 days sobriety and only lapsing for 2 days.

Entirely up to you, but I think the reason many people will emphasize being honest with yourself is because splitting hairs and creatively redefining "sobriety" is exactly the sort of thinking that many of us were masters of as addicts. I didn't drink last night becomes, well I didn't get plowed last night and that's what's really important, therefore I didn't drink last night. And that's what we say, because we're ashamed to admit the truth, and that's exactly what the addict voice wants us to do, keep hiding stuff. ;) As long as we keep our drinking secrets and hide things, we're not making much real long-term progress.

Doubter 05-02-2016 05:08 AM

Ok, im starting again from day one. Had another slip last night, not good.

Doubter 05-03-2016 04:09 AM

Has anyone taken anti craving medication? I paid $4000 for a 10 day inpatient detox and lapsed for 5 days.

I can't believe it.

jseattle 05-03-2016 04:12 AM

Yes. I took Naltrexone. I didn't like it but it definitely helps.

Are you in any kind of out patient program? Going from detox to nothing is very very tough.

Doubter 05-03-2016 04:25 AM

Just AA and im on a waiting list to see a counsellor for relapse prevention.

im trying my hardest and halway through reading the big book. On page 23 it says alcoholics can't just have one because the cravings come back full blown just like you never stopped. And its true for me.

Mountainmanbob 05-03-2016 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Doubter (Post 5930424)

im just wondering if i have to start from day 1 again

Seems to be the best place for a restart date -- day 1

Mountainmanbob