Notices

Last logged in May 2012

Old 03-31-2016, 10:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I agree with Zebra. Rock bottom is death until then there's always just a little lower you can go. I suppose for some "rock bottom" is making an ass of themselves at the dinner party, wrecking the car or a job. It's deciding you have had enough, it's going to be different for everyone.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Resurrecting this post from the dead.

I thought this might be interesting for people who are facing an ongoing battle. After posting this a year and a half ago, I continued to drink heavily and things got worse. I was eventually admitted to a hospital for making threats to kill myself. Even after the hospital stay, I continued to drink. I did begin a couple of new medications that helped me level my mood while also allowing me to sleep. This has been huge.

On August 1st, things got rolling. I didn't drink for 6 weeks! Then I tricked myself into thinking I could have a few. I had more than a few but nearly up to where I normally drank. I didn't get drunk but didn't feel well rested the next day. Sleep is super important for me right now. Not having the anxiety when going to work is also huge.

Overall, I have only drank once since August 1st. That is progress.

Motivations:
1) Seeing my son growing up and watching everything I do. Need to be a role model and not a loser drunk
2) New medication means actually getting 8-9 hours of sleep every night without feeling like a complete zombie the next day. Other medication regulates my mood so there aren't the highs and the lows I was experiencing.
3) Wanting to save money now so I can retire later and enjoy a healthy, older life. Then watching my kids have kids, etc, etc....

Anyway, I hope this helps for those of you on the journey. It almost feels like a light bulb turned on. The struggle doesn't seem real.

It can happen. Keep fighting and remain patient. The journey isn't perfect.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

rock bottom is a decision not an event
You don't have to lose everything to stop drinking. You can stop at any time. I stopped when I was sick and tired of waking up feeling like death warmed over and hating myself.

It's been almost 8 yrs now and I don't regret a minute of it. I've never woken up sober and feeling good and wished that I had drank the night before.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can continue to move forward and make this the turning point dingoraven

D
Old 11-04-2017, 04:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Don't make the mistake of drinking while trying to raise a baby. I have been there and it doesn't work. Treat the arrival of your baby as a new chapter. A new sober, chapter in your family life. All the best.