Notices

Danger Zone

Old 03-22-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Danger Zone

The good news is, during the period I'm about to describe, I neither drank nor felt tempted to do so.

Over the past 2 months, I was swept away by the most powerful addictive force I know of: a woman. She is someone I have known since childhood. We always hung out together, got along well and, as the years passed by, developed feelings for each other. Our lives took different paths over the years but any time we encountered one another again, we immediately gravitated to each other.

Sometime around Christmas, she contacted me on Facebook. The tone of the conversation soon turned personal. We began seeing each other. I did not realize just how sad, lonely, and starved for companionship I had become. I went absolutely crazy over this woman! It really felt like an addiction. I told my counselor love is crack for the heart. That's how it felt!

One big danger zone was the fact that she, too, is an alcoholic and has struggled with drug addiction in the past, as well. The second time she was coming to see me, she had gotten drunk the night before. She claimed it was the first time in 9 months that she drank. I bought her a Big Book. I told her I could not be her sponsor because of our personal connection, but I would do my best to point her in some direction to get help. The steps have been working, and continue to work, for me. I don't know if she reads the book. I know she doesn't go to meetings or do anything to stay sober other than by willpower.

Nevertheless, other complications cropped up in the relationship, not the least of which is the fact that we live nearly 3 hours apart from each other. In retrospect, that may have been a blessing. We ended the relationship yesterday. I am left feeling raw, confused, sad, hurt... It would be nice to have the skill to shut out troublesome feelings, but I know I have to endure them.

And learn not to let myself get so carried away next time!
Old 03-22-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks for sharing GMO...and I think you made a wise choice. As addicts we crave instant grafication, and we can find that through means other than drugs/alcohol...relationships for one. Glad you learned a valuable lesson and will be more prepared next time around.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

You done great staying sober GMO give yourself time bud