Notices

How was your first?

Old 03-05-2016, 09:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How was your first?

Hey all.

I'm curious to know about two things.

1. How was your first or second AA meeting.

2. How was your very first therapy/counseling/whatever you wanna call it, session?

I ask out of sheer curiosity as I havent been to either YET. I will be going I just wanted to get a feel for what I might expect.

Thanks guys
Old 03-05-2016, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

At my first AA meeting, I felt a huge sense of relief that there were other people who had experienced my pain, and who had recovered using a simple program.

I have been seeing therapists since I was a child, and never felt any great sense of progress.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
now's the time

I really hated my first AA meeting... and second and third... I felt uncomfortable with them for a really long time. I didn't use AA much at all for the longest time because every time I went I felt uncomfortable and would even get cravings to drink. But eventually, when I'd been through a relapse and decided I needed to have more recovery in my life, I finally found a meeting that I liked, and that changed everything. So I really encourage you to try multiple meetings. It really does make a difference!

Going to addiction therapy for the first time, on the other hand, was an immediate relief for me. It was so freeing to finally talk about it out loud. At that point I hadn't even told my family that I'd quit drinking or had a problem etc. So it was a big weight off my shoulders.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

My first AA meeting was a small, closed group with four of the five others there much older and each with decades of sobriety. They kindly welcomed me, but I didn't care for the lack of diversity of views. I've since found another, larger, more diverse group where I feel much more comfortable.

I saw a psychologist shortly after we fled the 1978/79 Revolution in Iran (I spent four years of my childhood there), and i was having problems readjusting to life in America -- missing my friends whom i didn't know if they'd survived or not, having problems reintegrating into what I saw as a very parochial social milieu, and most importantly dealing with the tragedies and brutalities I'd seen during the violence there.

I don't think it was very helpful, but don't chalk that up to therapy as a whole, but rather, the vast gulf between me and that particular psychologist.

I've since spent a few years processing those memories and feelings, and part of my self-therapy included writing an unpublished novel set at that time and place (autumn 1978 in Teheran), which was really helpful to me in getting these feelings out where I could view them from different perspectives.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

My first AA meeting I was pretty much amazed at the number of people who shared the same thing. It was good, overall, but I was full of fear. Not today. I am not full of fear now.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

They came in the reverse order.

1st therapist was Dorothy, an NSAD counsellor. She was brilliant. Helped me conduct controlled drinking experiment which taught me a lesson. Gave me other options to solve the problem. I tried all she had except AA. None provided a lasting solution, but it was all useful and eventually lead me to the only remaining solution, and that worked. She was great. I remember her very fondly.

A year later, somewhat humiliated and defeated I turned to AA. The first meeting had a guy called Joe who had white hair, a bright yellow bush shirt and a big smile. He was glad to see me. That was a new experience. That's about all I remember. One more experiment in controlled drinking then got serious about the steps and god and all that stuff, and never drank again.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
p***enger

At my first AA meeting I had 5 days and was still shaking. It was crowded and I was so confused! It was a warm December day and I sat next to a window. Before the meeting began, people in the room started asking me (no one knew me, I was just there) to open it further, or close it, or close it just a little or so on. I didn't know what to do! Then one man sitting near me said to me, "It's not your problem."

I've never forgotten that. It was the first and one of the best lessons I learned in AA.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My answers:
First meeting :
It's was actually almost comical. I went as a support person for someone who had do go, via court order. Figured I just sit in the back row and observe all the poor alcoholic souls. Next thing thing I know, I'm introducing myself as an alcoholic and telling my story and absolutely riveted by all those who shared
Funny thing is I had just quit myself the week before but never considered I was ever "that bad".
I still do love going to specific meetings but I'm not a "12 stepper".

2. Therapy. Been going off and on my whole adult life, but never until recently getting much out of it.
These days, having found a good fit with a great therapist, I am growing exponentially. For the first time ever I am being truly honest in therapy. Including my addiction history. What a waste of big money all these years. Going to therapy and not telling the truth! Crazy.
hth.
Holly.🎋
Old 03-12-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My first AA meeting I cried the whole time. I was so humbled and sad to accept I am an alcoholic. I kept thinking of my dad and how I didn't want to end up like him, but did anyway. They asked if anyone was new, and I raised my hand and told the group it was my first meeting. Wanted to sink into a giant hole and disappear.

Then the people came over and hugged me, and talked to me, and completely understood how I had gotten into that room. Being an alcoholic is so lonely, even when with people. I was finally not alone.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mine were not ideal.

Just wanted to say be sure and "shop around" regarding both. There's probably a good fit out there
Old 03-13-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I lived in silicon valley when I first started attending AA meetings many years ago, so many meetings had mostly white collar professionals. It seemed like a group of neighbors getting together. No stress.

On the other hand, I've learned and gained a lot more respect for this disease from meetings that were outside my own personal demographic. Some of the stories have been eye-opening. There's value in both, maybe more in the latter.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The very first AA meeting I went to was in detox. I was pretty out of it, but I listened. When I got out, I was SUPER nervous to go to my first "real" meeting. I was afraid of speaking, afraid of seeing people I might know, afraid of the unknown. It ended up being an amazing experience. I was so relieved and comfortable, and that meeting eventually became my home group.

Therapy has been somewhat helpful, but definitely not as helpful as AA. Personally I think I get more out of the group setting. It's beneficial for me to be around other addicts.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I spent a couple of years in therapy, in order to understand my crazy thinking and behaviors (especially when I'm sober) and it was extremely helpful. Learning how we filter things and our skewed response to events around us. My therapist is 20 years in AA recovery and supports, but doesn't push AA. Great guy.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I wrote about my first AA meeting here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...a-meeting.html

I drank twice over the following two months. My sobriety date is Aug 6, I'm just over 7 months sober now and I've been through the steps. ( Lap 1!)

I've been to lots of meetings since then. I had to "shop around" and find some meetings that I liked where I felt that I fit and related to the other members.
Now I go or do something with the fellowship more days than I don't, but not every day. The program has really helped me build a good, sober life.

Never been to therapy.

CJ.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

I came out of my first AA meeting feeling like I wasn't alone with this couldn't believe everyone at AA looked good & dressed nice I was scratching my head until I realised they were in recovery that was my warped thinking

I came out of my first group therapy session frightened a lil but overall I knew I was on a new journey
Old 03-21-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I went to an AA meeting in detox which I felt was forced on us who were in the hospital. It was a public meeting so the general public attended, however the group of us who were admitted to the attached rehab facility had to attend wearing our hospital clothes, (booties, johnnies, hospital bathrobes, etc) and were seated all together in the front row as if we were on display. This was not the first time during my (thankfully only 3 day) detox where I felt that AA was being forced on me as the only choice for sobriety. When I got out, my daughter wanted me to go to a meeting with her. She knew I didn't want to go, and she knew I was only going to make her happy. This did not work out well. I never returned for another meeting. I respect the work that AA does and I applaud anyone who gets sober using this method, but I don't think it is the right choice for everyone. I am not a "support group" person, for alcohol or anything else in my life. Counseling, on the other hand, along with my ongoing prescription for antabuse, has been a terrific help in helping me to stay sober. Whatever works for you will be best for you, but give it a try and see for yourself.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

1. First AA meetings were alanon decades ago and I absolutely detested them. My recollection is that they were nothing but sob-a-logues. That could have been entirely my perception, not the reality.

First "real" AA meeting was Saturday and it was much like I expected, but more. The ritual, the AA-speak, The Lord's Prayer were all there (not a fan), but the meat was in the middle and it was good. Real people speaking about their real ignorance and learning - it spoke to my heart.

2. First counseling session was gut-wrenching. The counselor walked through my history with me and I left feeling entirely wrung out. Little did I know that I would not be able to see this guy again because it was EAP and his job was to refer me. So I had to do it all over again. And then again when I switched psychologists because the first one wasn't working for me. I don't know what to advise on that first session because (at least for me) it's so emotionally draining - and it's only a consult.

But the second guy did help me in a good number of ways. Only just not with quitting drinking (although he tried). It was definitely worth the time, but were I to do it over again, I would try to find a person who really understands addiction.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

the meeting itself was probably awesome.
i, on the other hand, was a miserable wreck ready to kill myself. only thing i remember is the chair saying when i walked in," welcome.glad ya made it back"
and me sayin,"im tom an alcoholic and i cant take it anymore."
then cried the rest of the meeting.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KyloTiel View Post

1. How was your first or second AA meeting.
The majority of the ones that I know and including myself would say

AA is OK.

Attending AA meetings has added a lot to my sobriety.

MB
Old 03-22-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I can tell when I haven't been to a meeting, lol.. I start to really get irritated at every little thing. My gf tells me to go, lol..

Afterwards.. haha.. life is good. Seriously. I don't know quite how that works but I will take it.