Notices

thiamine deficiency ?

Old 03-09-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

thiamine deficiency ?

finally talked to a family doctor
he asked me different questions involving my alcohol intake....to my surprise he kinda of well... didnt pay attention to my intake
all he said was "i thought you were a heavy drinker" to my 2 to 3 beers a night

then he asked me about my eating habits and i told him i dont eat healthy nor is it consistent that's where i caught his attention
he pretty much concluded that i should up my intake of B1 which is thiamine because at low levels it can cause depression, anxiety etc

he did tell me to stop drinking but he said im sure you're not going to so to every morning to continue taking b12, folic acid and to add in B1 that B1 can also help with my lethargy

maybe its just me but is it plausible that something as simple as a vitamin deficiency wreck havoc on your CNS ? saying can it cause anxiety and depression?
Old 03-09-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Who knows? It's best that you should continue your conversation with your dr about this.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Who knows? It's best that you should continue your conversation with your dr about this.
well that was pretty much the end of the conversation just to add in thiamine to my vitamin cocktail
im a bit skeptical about that but the morei\ i think about it, it makes sense in a way because the days i dont take my vitamins i feel horrible
and not eating the way i should will definitely causes issues opposed to be being an alcoholic but eating the way you should

anyone have exp taking thiamine ?
Old 03-09-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

I read a book on alcoholics and how many can be deficiant nutritionally. something like alcohol depeltes you of your B vitamins among many other things. Then there are those that dont eat but rather drink and those that eat but eat garbage. So yeah alcohol can wreak havoc on ones body.

And what i've figured out is no the body isnt gonna just recover after taking a multi vitamin once a day for a month or something. It takes considerably longer and some pretty stinking good behaivior to really heal the body. BUT it can be done and the body does heal up pretty stinking well.

So my 2 cents without giving medical advice? eat your fruits and veggies and eat lots of em!.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Vitamin B1 Thiamin deficiency can cause Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome in alcoholics. I took it when I was drinking and still take it sober. My recent blood tests say okay for B1 but I'm not sure if there's been any damage. There was too much Vit B12 so she cut me way down on that.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldsoul1122 View Post
Vitamin B1 Thiamin deficiency can cause Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome in alcoholics.
Yikes! Count me out!
Old 03-09-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

alcohol interferes with the absorption of thiamine, or so I was told......
Old 03-09-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
alcohol interferes with the absorption of thiamine, or so I was told......
This is true. I had low thiamine levels when I quit most likely due to my daily drinking.

Deso....please stay in touch with your doctor on this. We cannot give you medical advice or validate/refute advice your doc has already given you.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
This is true. I had low thiamine levels when I quit most likely due to my daily drinking.

Deso....please stay in touch with your doctor on this. We cannot give you medical advice or validate/refute advice your doc has already given you.
yeah its a done deal with the doc i wasnt looking for med advice just wondering if anyone have heard about that and has taken thiamine daily when drinking daily
still a bit skeptic but ill run with it for what it is its just a vitamin
Old 03-09-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been sober just over two months - eating right and working out regularly. Getting plenty of sleep too. Also, take a beta blocker, Lexapro and a pretty good vitamin mix. All this under medical supervision and a trip to my shrink every two weeks.

My tremor is just now almost gone, and my skin still itches at night sometimes. I'm also starting to break out like s teenager and I'm 42. My mental state - anxiety and mood are starting to stabilize and my thought is getting sharper again. Still not right at all though.

So, in my experience, the body will heal, but it takes a lot of time.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

The very best thing you can do is stop drinking and stay that way Deos.

I'm a little disappointed your Dr assumes that you'll continue.

he did tell me to stop drinking but he said im sure you're not going to
Old 03-09-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The very best thing you can do is stop drinking and stay that way Deos.

I'm a little disappointed your Dr assumes that you'll continue.
been trying its not easy for me to stop drinking
and this doc doesnt beat around the bush he is an old school guy that's seen it all
he did give me a regimen to quit CT with a benzo and vitamins but in the end its my choice
Old 03-09-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by deos68 View Post
just wondering if anyone have heard about that and has taken thiamine daily when drinking daily
I've heard of it but stopping drinking is a far better solution. It's pretty much guaranteed that if you keep drinking, you will eventually develop problems far worse than any vitamin can ever fix.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

I second the stop drinking alcohol before you consume vitamins that you won't absorb.....
Old 03-09-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

been trying its not easy for me to stop drinking
You're preaching to the choir here Deos

It's not easy but it is possible - I really hope you'll decide to knock it on the head.

D
Old 03-09-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My Dr. is pretty much the same way. He used to tell me I could tell you to do XX or X but you're not going to do that so I'm prescribing X it might help. So that means to really get right I'd should do XX or X. That all being said when I finally gave up justifying my drinking I did take B1, ate heathier (a little) and did XX and X. I guess read between the lines and listen to what he's really telling you.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by deos68 View Post
...maybe its just me but is it plausible that something as simple as a vitamin deficiency wreck havoc on your CNS ? saying can it cause anxiety and depression?
That is my doctor's opinion, and correcting deficiencies was a big part of quickly healing my addiction. So based on my personal experience, I'm going to say Yes.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi D - are you still around? I saved this thread and the amino acid thread. Wish they wouldn't interrupt conversations about vitamins and such. All good tho. I can understand. You sound a lot like my 28 year old son. Are u still taking vitamins? B1, folic acid, B12? Anything else? Are they helping? Thanks! Olivia
Old 05-17-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Olivia - I don't know if this helps or not...

I had blood tests, hair tests and urine tests and my dr said I was extremely low on b vitamins (one of the lowest he'd seen). A multi vitamin was not enough to replenish the lost b vitamins. I quit drinking and take a slew of b vitamins and feel much better.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

B vitamins, especially lack of thiamine, can destroy your CNS. Someone else mentioned Wernicke Korsikoff's....I know two people living with it and one who died from it. It is also known as wet brain and it is a terrible affliction.