Notices

thiamine deficiency ?

Old 05-17-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks Behappy and Bunny! This helps a lot.
My girlfriend's dad had wet brain. Her stepmom died of alcohol too. And her real mom killed herself and my friend found her. My friend has been in AA for a good 25 years and sober. Her son stepped on a bomb in Iraq. Now if she can conquer alcohol you would think anyone can.
Thanks again guys. I've added B-Complex and a multi to my sons pill box. Gonna add B1 and maybe folic. And of course, have him check with our doctor. I can tell our doctor isn't too much into supplements. I found a place that will test your urine and let you know what you need too.
Amino acid therapy is fascinating too.

Olivia
Old 05-17-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
Hi D - are you still around? I saved this thread and the amino acid thread. Wish they wouldn't interrupt conversations about vitamins and such. All good tho. I can understand. You sound a lot like my 28 year old son. Are u still taking vitamins? B1, folic acid, B12? Anything else? Are they helping? Thanks! Olivia
yes i'm still around and given my EXP yes it did indeed help me
although it didn't help right away

i take b12,folic acid, thiamine, vitamin C and D plus i drink a ton of water through out the day
i even drink pedialyte from time to time and that helps tremendously

it was brought to my attention that my daily anxiety and depression could be a simple hangover that takes on a different form of your run of the mill tequila shot filled night lol

i drink daily but i dont binge drink and i currently consume 2 standard beers a night
as many would agree if your son is consuming a ton of alcohol IMHO i dont think vitamins and water will help
a detox would be a better option
Old 05-17-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks deos!
Old 05-17-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

my doc told me to take a b-complex specifically referring to thiamine
Old 05-17-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I took (was prescribed) thiamine and folic acid for a month after hospital detox. My doctor told me I didn't need to keep taking it after a month sober. My diet while drinking was awful, but I went through at least one bag of sunflower seeds a day. Ironically, they're one of the highest thiamine-containing foods.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Vitamin deficiencies, especially B complex are very common in heavy drinkers and can result to permanent brain damage. It's a good idea to take a quality multi-vitamin.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

When we stop poisoning ourselves it is amazing how many problems go away
Old 05-17-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Prolonged B1 deficiency can lead to Werneckes. Google it. My father has it...it's terrible. B12 can really help with energy. B1 memory and mental clarity.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Folks...another friendly reminder that vitamin/mineral deficiencies can only be diagnosed by a medical doctor. If you have reason to believe you might, please get it checked out. Taking supplements without knowing if they are needed or not may not be helpful and can also cause problems.

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 05-18-2016 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:02 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yes, I recently had a blood test. Now that I'm getting more into supplements I'm going to ask my doc to revisit my results and make recommendations. I don't want to overdo it !
Old 05-18-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
Yes, I recently had a blood test. Now that I'm getting more into supplements I'm going to ask my doc to revisit my results and make recommendations. I don't want to overdo it !
what makes you believe you have a vitamin deficiency ?
Old 05-18-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I don't think I necessarily have a deficiency but would like to get everything in line as best as possible. I was recently diagnosed with diverticulitist so that's maybe why I felt so run down all winter. Gonna add a probiotic for one.
My doc responded but his site keeps kicking me out for now!
Old 05-18-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

When I was in rehab, I was given B vitamin shots. The doctor said drinking alcohol depletes it from your system. Of course, alcohol itself is a depressant.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:59 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

My blood work was terrible when I was drinking.
When I stopped drinking completely and forever my blood work was fine.

I did the vitamin two-step when I was drinking half a liter of vodka every night to "negate" the consequences. I took a b complex, fish oil, multi vitamin, calcium pill, and milk thistle. I took about six pills every morning. I also hoped they'd help with the hangover.

I was a classic alcoholic. If you told me that alcohol depleted "x vitamin" from the body I'd buy some "x vitamin" supplement and toss it in the cart right next to the alcohol.

I had many health ailments at 30 years old from drinking heavily every night. They all went away when I stopped drinking completely and forever.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:29 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

The doc told me a while back my son's numbers are that if a 50-60 year old. High glucose, high liver, high cholesterol, etc.

I did hear back from doc and he said add Vit D if I wanted. Other than that, it's up to me. I think I will add a probiotic tho for this diverticulitist
Old 05-19-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Magnesium is also something to think about.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:44 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
Magnesium is also something to think about.
depends of what type of mag you take
some variations will cause loose stools
magnesium glycinate IME has a nice calming effect without the runs