Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

tough times but i'm not gonna throw in the towell

Notices

tough times but i'm not gonna throw in the towell

Old 02-22-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
zjw

little bit better today sleepie thanks for asking. i was able to run today i had to hobble and limp along and it wasnt ideal but i did it so i'm happy about it.

the pain is easing up some too. its a sunny day too that always lifts my spirits.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

That's good zjw, take it easy though so you heal and can run properly later
Good to hear you are feeling a bit better.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

I just in awe of anybody that can actual run! I could not run block, even if craze turtle with gun was chase me ! You keepa go, zjw.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Agreed - running is for emergencies only :-)
Old 02-22-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm doing the same running-form transition to barefoot z, but not as far along as you yet.
I use a metronome and run very slowly really paying attention to form,
and when I get tired and sloppy, I stop.

I'm over 50 and don't bounce back from injury quite like I did,
so maybe I'm being over-cautious, but do you think dialing things
back on milage, etc. and really working on perfecting the movement
might help?

Running is kind of a metaphor for me of the life journey thing.
As long as you keep moving, you are getting somewhere.
Great job hanging in there
Old 02-22-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I'm doing the same running-form transition to barefoot z, but not as far along as you yet.
I use a metronome and run very slowly really paying attention to form,
and when I get tired and sloppy, I stop.

I'm over 50 and don't bounce back from injury quite like I did,
so maybe I'm being over-cautious, but do you think dialing things
back on milage, etc. and really working on perfecting the movement
might help?

Running is kind of a metaphor for me of the life journey thing.
As long as you keep moving, you are getting somewhere.
Great job hanging in there

well all I've read people tend to transition gradually running as a heal striker I guess and slowly mingling in some forefoot / barefoot runing like very very slowly.

But there are others that just dive in quit heal striken and go for it. ME? i was always a heal striker I just went for it. Slapped on my zero drop shoes at first and started running with a forefoot strike. day one i did over 9 miles day 2 7 miles. Then I got a pair of vibrams did a few miles by this point I think i was getting pretty stinking sore in my calves so rested. Then I went back out and logged 7 miles in the vibrams and earned me some nice blisters

Anyhow long story short i've had blister after blister after blister and i just run through them. Then i got some achillies pain packed off swapped shoes etc.. Been a lot of trial and error but by last week I think i finally nailed it. My feet where adapting to the vibrams better I had also found another pair I liked even more all was great till i tied my laces too tight (and oh yeah i did this once before a few days prior and had to take a day off on the right foot) but this go around was the left foot and its been bad.

So yeah I could have backed down on the miles and yes i did. only because of the pain. I typicaly run 50-70 miles a week but first week out in these i ran about 42 miles then 35 and last week an abysmal 25 as its bringing me t my knees with pain after pain lol.

But i really think once i'm past this specific pain i'll eb back up and running.

Today i cheated i put my heal strikers on and ran in the old running form just so i could pull of a run of sorts putting too much weight on my left forefoot was just not gonna happen.

As far as the form goes I spent so much time and still do paying very very close attention but its feeling more normal and natural for me now to run with a forefoot strike wearing vibrams I woldnt keep runing through this misery if it wasnt working out. I really do like running that way better.

I also video myself running periodically to really see what i'm doing to make sure i got it.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I just in awe of anybody that can actual run! I could not run block, even if craze turtle with gun was chase me ! You keepa go, zjw.
I walked. i was so dang fat when i started I never thought i'd run and i had ankle pain. I really didnt even think i'd walk to be honest. I had smoked so many cigarettes i figured my running days where long long long gone.

I dunno i walked a lot of hills tho and took my time. when i got lighter i decided let me try running. and thinking back on it it was not easy but oddly within a couple weeks i was able to run a mile slowly but i was able to do it. I kept working at it I battled so many injuries and pains figureing it all out. could barely walk some days from injuries but i kept going. When i was able to run 3 miles i was pretty much addicted to running.

anymore i make it look easy but it was a ton of work to get to this point. But this whole expierience has humbled me and reminded me of just how hard running can actually be. I probably needed the ego slap lol.