Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Confidence still gone, but not shattered anymore..

Notices

Old 02-05-2016, 12:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One part of me that went to the crapper when I became a full blown alcoholic and drug addict was my confidence in myself and my looks.

I used to be really really confident in myself and my looks and it worked. It used to work. I dated a lot of girls when I was like 18 and 19. Confidence is everything.

Then when I started drinking heavy and having dark days I just lost all my confidence it was like I'm a whole new person.

Here I am now, 25 and I can feel my confidence coming back as I'm now on day 85 of my sobriety but it's still nowhere near where it used to be.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It will come back, as long as you don't drink.

But for the long term, it needs to come within. By doing the next right thing as they say.

Looks are great, partners are great, but you are better.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

85 days is excellent its good when confidence builds keep up the good momentum & keep on building
Old 02-05-2016, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

JQuick,

How I can relate! Only when I wound up with my confidence in tatters, our ages were transposed! I know it's rather beyond your grasp right now, but it is beyond wonderful that you are where you are now and not an entire lifetime from now.

Hang on and hang in. Once you are at least in this place of not being demolished. Stable is far better than a total wreck. It will get better.

Have you thought about counseling? Because of the route I took that didn't help me with drinking, but it helped tremendously with my self-perception and self-esteem, things that were totally whack.

85 days is wonderful. Congratulations!
Old 02-05-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Well done on 85 days. It's interesting but, aside from being an alcoholic from my first drink, one of the reasons or benefits of drinking, was that it gave me confidence. Even in my last days of drinking, with a skinful, I was full of confidence and knew how to fix all the worlds problems. Sober, was a different story.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It will come back. You'll gain a new confidence!
Your looks will come back too...you're still young.
When I quit drinking my hair was falling out in clumps because of mal-nourishment.
8 months in my hair is back and shiny and my skin has cleared up. People are constantly telling me how healthy and "Well" I look.
Stay the course and all will fall into place!
Old 02-05-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Keep at it and you will not only regain your confidence, but it will most likely grow beyond what it ever could have when you were drinking. A clear, sober mind is a very powerful thing.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

85 days is awesome. I think you'll have good luck getting it back. I think the fact that you had it before will help you. Me? I didnt have any before i drank either. for me I had to find some somehow.

one thing that works for me is to do things i like to do and that i'm good at and do them often. I find each time i walk away feeling good about myself and more confident.

it can be anything too and for me I started off with simple things. those simple small victories are awesome boosts to confidence.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
JQuick,

How I can relate! Only when I wound up with my confidence in tatters, our ages were transposed! I know it's rather beyond your grasp right now, but it is beyond wonderful that you are where you are now and not an entire lifetime from now.

Hang on and hang in. Once you are at least in this place of not being demolished. Stable is far better than a total wreck. It will get better.

Have you thought about counseling? Because of the route I took that didn't help me with drinking, but it helped tremendously with my self-perception and self-esteem, things that were totally whack.

85 days is wonderful. Congratulations!

Thanks !!

Yup, I'm currently see a counsellor about once every three weeks. She is really awesome and has given me perspective on some very significant issues in my life.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

That's great, JQ.
You know, at 25 you might need to start putting some extra effort into what was once effortless. Sucks, but that's reality. Seeing a counselor and quitting the alcohol put you in a really good place to do that.

I'm glad you came here to talk about it and hope you keep doing just that. There's a lot of brilliant and helpful people here, as you've likely noticed if you've read around much.