Notices

O.T. funny

Old 01-24-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

O.T. funny

At the onset of one of my classes (substance abuse treatment) we are required to attempt a reduction or cessation of an unhealthy habit or substance. we have to start this process by writing a "goodbye letter" to the offender. we then go on to journal progress, cravings and slips. you all know the drill... anyways, since caffeine was out of the question (LOL! -its all i have, meow!) i decided to reduce my crazy candy and dessert habit. i tried to make it a bit cute. sharing for fun.

Sweetie,
I know this letter may be a surprise to you because we've been spending so much time together and I apologize for that. I wanted to tell you that although we are very close, I have been having second thoughts about where things are headed. After some serious soul searching, I come to you with a heavy heart to ask for some time apart to re-evaluate the status of our relationship.

I wish to preface my rationale with a heart-felt "thank you" for the joy and comfort you have given me during recent years. Although we have been friends since I was a child, our relationship blossomed into a love affair two years ago. I had kind of forgotten about you, along with many other pleasures in my life when my drinking and pill use got out of hand. I ended up pretty much in survival mode, just busy trying to stay happy enough to put one foot in front of the other. The chemicals were no longer working, so I had to quit.

Those first couple of months were pretty tough and I reached out for any help and solace I could get. My family, friends and new acquaintances in recovery all stepped up and gave me much needed support. Although this support was invaluable, there still were times when I was alone and my mind would seem to come unhinged with anger, regret, doubt and fear. During these times, if I was unable to sleep, there seemed to be no recourse as I had sworn off all of my usual comfort measures.

That's when you came to my rescue. You spoke up and reminded me that we could hang out and pass the time with a smile, just like we did when I was little. I talked to my new friends in recovery about you and they described similar relationships that were giving them some peace. they advised me that hanging out with you wasn’t too much of a commitment to make so early in my recovery and that it might just be the thing I needed.

I have to admit, our new love affair swept me off my feet. It sure helped that you seemed to be at all the places I was having so much trouble with like stores, school, rehab, movies, gas stations and restaurants. You even came to visit me at home when I was having trouble and just seemed to be spinning my wheels. If you had trouble getting there, you just asked my wife for a ride, and she picked you up! Before long we were hanging out pretty much all the time. Of course, you came to bed with me, lulling me to sleep and being there for me when I awoke in the early morning needing comfort.

That was the beginning of our problem. I really don’t want to sound selfish, but these days it seems that I'm putting a lot more into our relationship than I am getting back. I constantly worry about you, so I try to take you everywhere I go. If I don't know where you are, I often get upset and have difficulty concentrating on what I need to accomplish. The though of doing almost anything without you is difficult. I've been known to get dressed and leave the comfort of my own home late at night, driving several miles just to find you.

It just doesn’t seem like I'm getting much in return lately. Where you previously bathed me in comfort, now you often leave me feeling depressed and wanting. while I put all the effort into making sure you're OK, you show complete disregard for my health. Always a skinny guy, I'm now watching my belly grow over my waistline. Also, my teeth hurt sometimes and I'm worried I may be at risk for my first cavity! This is just not me, I've made it past the age of forty without having one, and now I'm worried. My time is precious, and I'm trying to finish my education. You don’t seem to care, so you distract me when I'm in the middle of projects, papers, lectures and thoughts.

The list just goes on... So, to wrap it up, I'm taking a break. During this time, I'm going to be keeping track of my thoughts and needs as they relate to our dynamic. I'm sure you are aware that due to the nature of the world, I cannot entirely avoid seeing you. We travel in the same circles, so I'm sure I'll be seeing you on campus, at parties and out about town. For now though, I think it's best for us to limit our interaction and be polite. I promise to always say "No,, but thanks anyway." There's no need to be disrespectful. I promise to get back to you later after this period is over. We will have a frank discussion once I figure out what my needs are.

So, goodbye for now, Refined Sugar. Don't call me. I'll be in touch.

Love, Leviathan
Old 01-24-2016, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now's the time

Love it. Although from this letter, I think Refined Sugar should be breaking up with you! Hopefully Corn Syrup will be there for RS to lean on.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is the one that is the hardest for me, too. Wait till you go through sugar withdrawal.

I have to pretty much treat it like any other substance, because once I have any - I'm back at it with purpose for a couple weeks until I quit again, binging on anything I see.

Good luck. She's evil. Her sisters HFCS, honey, maple syrup, and dried fruit or fruit juice are just as bad. Watch out for them, they come dressed in their party dresses too. I feel for you, man.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanx for the support. I really do have a bit of anx. about it.

The funny thing is, I am traditionally a salty snack kinda guy. Chips, beef jerky, tomato juice, pickles-you name it. Well, after multiple decades as a beer afficianado (Ha! Right?), quitting brought my sugar relationship to the forefront.

I hear this is common. That doesn't make it less of a trip. I can abuse friggin cough drops if they are sweet enough!
Old 01-24-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That was a fun read Leviathan

What are your thoughts on sugar substitutes?
Old 01-24-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good one!

Delfin
Old 01-24-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hate 'em.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

LOL Nice letter -now, have you delivered it?
Old 01-24-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

lol i used to as well leviathan but now I like it here and there. coffee and stuff.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah sleepie, maybe I'll give it a shot. I've never really tried that stevia stuff.

-prob gonna go through PAWS again...LOL!
Old 01-24-2016, 09:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm all for cutting out even a hint of it, even fake stuff. Been telling myself I'm going to quit carbs/sugar for a year. But you may know, as it can go, when you quit drinking the diet ain't always the best... I mean I can't do caffeine and I don't smoke so what's left?

I hope you'll post how it's going. And any good things that you feel or happen because of this change.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'll holler. I expect to have less mood swings once I get through the hard part. I currently crash two or three times a day, it seems...I'm going to also attempt to eat at normal mealtimes. Even breakfast!
Old 01-24-2016, 10:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Thanks for sharing that; very fun to read! Now, be sure to block sugar's number.