Notices

Ive been trying to get sober since 2009

Old 07-04-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ive been trying to get sober since 2009

Im drunk right now.... i ask myself why try to stay to stay sober when it feels so good yet i know it ruins my life.... i want to get sober yet everyone else is telling me not too! Ive been trying to get sober since 2009.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When it stopped feeling good, that is when I decided to get sober. I was chasing the drunk.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ive been chasin that amazing high since those days. i know my best days are behind me. ive been trying so hard yet struggling so much. please help me to get my stuff together and stay sober!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your best days are ahead of you, if you stop drinking.

Only you can admit you have a problem and get help. I and everyone else on this board can support you and give advice, but you have to come to the decision to want help.

Do you want help? Are you willing to do as much to get and remain sober as you do to get drunk and run in circles chasing the drunk?

The first step is to stop for one day. Then to continue that, one day at time.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I need a sponser, i need someone to help me stay sober,... otherwise i feel like im bound to end up back where i left off.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you gone to an AA meeting? If not do you have any recovery plan in mind?

Day one is day one. It is a start. If you don't make the first step then yes, you will drink again.

What have you done in the past to try to stop?
Old 07-04-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No one can make you stay sober. You have to decide once and for all that you are done. I was sober for two years. I relapsed three months ago, thanks to having a glass of wine the day I brought my brand new baby girl home from the hospital. That's all it took. One glass turned into two, and within two months, I was drinking a bottle of wine a night, three days a week. I have been sober for about seven hours now. I've made up my mind that I will not touch alcohol again. You can do it. So can I.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ive been trying to stop since 2009 and that includes a two month stunt in 2012. I feel like all hope is lost... I want to stop yet everytime the end of the week comes around, i drink again without understanding the consequences. Ever-time i quit, i suffer from a hangover day plus what i call Post hangover day which brings insominia and ****** up dreams when i do sleep.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep me too when it was getting dis pleasurable is when is when I started quitting. Like all drugs eventually your chasing a high which in turn leads to needing more and more for the fix. I think that most people weigh the pros and cons when they decide to do absolutely anything. Deciding whether to get a glass of milk I know I do a quick mental checklist of the pros and cons of doing so. Am I thirsty enough to grab a glass? Is it hot out? Will it make me feel good will it make me feel bad? For most things if one major thing comes up on my con list or certainly if two come up then I would dismiss the action and end it at the thought. With booze its like the ratio had to be 100 cons to 1 arguably fictitious pro before I came to the decision to end my drinking at the thought part. I know what your going through I got myself in quite the trouble and now I am making things right. I am only 22 I only have 42 days so I am very new. I was unable to stay sober alone. I was a daily heavy drinker for a few years. Then bad things began happening. I think it may or may not be A.A helping. Honestly I haven't been sober this long since I was 15 or 16. The only thing different this time is A.A so I doubt its a coincidence . And I found a temp sponsor who is pretty cool and super dedicated. I call people from the meetings and found out there are a million great people in the rooms who can really help you out.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Jeff, the only thing that I found that got me sober and keeps me sober was commitment to AA.

It's worked as advertised for nearly 24 yrs.

I had to surrender. I had to give up thinking that I knew what had to be done. I had to quit fighting.

When I quit trying to get sober and surrendered to AA .... i got sober.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-04-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You understand the consequences, but like me, you are an alcoholic. You will find any excuse in the book to drink-- "I can't resist the cravings." "I had a bad day." "Oh, I'm lonely. Guess I'll get drunk and play on Facebook."

I've done it too. I also know what I have to do to get sober and stay that way-- go back to AA, read my Big Book, surround myself with positive people and rid my life of negative influences. That's what you'll have to do as well.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well quit trying and just do it. Not trying to be a smart ass,but that really is the bottom line.
For me alcohol was prison. I got off work at 5 and I was legally too drunk to drive by 5:20 EVERY day. It was a 45 minute drive home. By the time I got home I was too drunk to do anything or talk to anyone. I planned most everything I did around that 5 oclock beer. It ran my life like that for years.
It really was prison. I certainly was not a free person. And the only thing I had to do was not pick up the first drink. WOW..How could something so simple be so freakin hard.
Iduno,but coming on here,and admitting you want to quit is a step in the right direction. For me quitting was one of the hardest things I have ever done. But you really can't put a price on freedom. And like they say,freedom does not come free. We have to fight everyday to keep someone or some thing from pushing us around,or trying to take what we have. Alcohol will take it all if we let it.
I wish you the best..
Fred
Old 07-04-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

its been 14 days of starting over again and this post really hit it on the head........thank you short and jeff stick it out im not saying i feel great but its a start .....again
Old 07-04-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ya Nevertheless it was definitely like prison. I know its cliche but I like the riding the elevator down to hell or six feet under; but you can get off at the level you choose idea. It kind of worked for me because I was always a quit while your ahead type of thinker. I hope you can give it a shot. You can do it just don't do it alone.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

well they say you have to hit bottom i did with all the troubles drinking caused unforunately i fell for the i can have one beer and drink like every one else and messed it up now i regret that one beer!!! i dont feel great after 14 days of starting over but i dont feel bad either yes it hard to go it alone with little support keep trying
Old 07-04-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((Jeff)))))

I see you are in Oz. Dee should be on soon, and he has numbers you can call down there to get help with detox and then into sobriety.

There are many 'programs' available these days other than AA, however, in your early recovery it would be a great place to not only meet and get to know other sober folks but to get a foothold in sobriety. Then if as you see others who have managed it through the 12 steps it will be your choice to get a sponsor and work the steps or try one of the other programs, ie SMART, AVRT, Life Ring, RR, etc

And we are also here for you. I hope you come back when you have come to!

Love and hugs,
Old 07-04-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Maybe you should stop listening to "everyone else" and start listening to yourself. This is your life, not theirs, and if you can't control what goes on in your own life, then that's a problem. Lots of people use AA, treatment, or therapy to help them figure things out. All three, in some regard, worked for me. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JeffsEpiphany View Post
Ive been trying to stop since 2009 and that includes a two month stunt in 2012. I feel like all hope is lost... I want to stop yet everytime the end of the week comes around, i drink again without understanding the consequences. Ever-time i quit, i suffer from a hangover day plus what i call Post hangover day which brings insominia and ****** up dreams when i do sleep.
Sounds like you may be starting to suffer withdrawal symptoms...insomnia and messed up dreams after the hangover. It also sounds like you're not an everyday drinker. Since alcohol seems to be causing you problems and you have signs of alcoholism, it could most likely progress if you don't stop drinking.

Now, I could tell you what you have in store if you don't stop, but trust me, it's not pretty. And most probably, you won't believe me, thinking that couldn't happen to you. I thought like that. Until it all happened to me. I'll just say that it can (and will) get much, much worse. So bad that when you're in the middle of it, you'll be stunned at how bad it's gotten. And then, it can get much, MUCH worse from there.

There is hope though. I've found sobriety by admitting I'm powerless over alcohol and finding abstinence. I now have the power to address the other issues in my life and make things better. This brings about a certain peace of mind and has eliminated any cravings or obsession for alcohol. It all begins with wanting to stop, then stopping, then working a program of recovery.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by JeffsEpiphany View Post
Ive been trying to stop since 2009 and that includes a two month stunt in 2012. I feel like all hope is lost... I want to stop yet everytime the end of the week comes around, i drink again without understanding the consequences.
I doubt that you suffer from a deficit in comprehension.

Our alcoholic brains often tell us that "this time will be different," or some such excuse.

When things get very bad, I just don't care about the consequences, though I fully understand them.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

2009 is when I first tried also... but Im on day 2 today.. Good luck and keep coming back. Im trying AVRT now and it seems to work so far..