Notices

want to quit, but not sure how

Old 01-17-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

want to quit, but not sure how

I'll be honest, I've been a heavy drinker for the past four years and I never thought it was a problem until just recently when I took a step back to evaluate my habit. I've lied to family members and friends, skipped out of responsibilities just to get drunk.

My problem is I tend to drink just to have something to do. I fill my time when I'm laid off from my job with drinking. It used to be an occasional thing, but not any more.

I went a week without alcohol for drug and alcohol testing to get a job over the summer and didn't experience the shakes or sweating so I don't think I'm physically dependent on it yet.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi and welcome, mukurogirl

I will not be the first person to tell you that the best place to start is with a visit to your physician. They can make an assessment and help you to get through the initial quitting as comfortably as possible. It would be wonderful if you didn't experience any side affects this time, either, but really there is no need to even risk it.

It took me years to follow that advice and when I finally did, I was quite grateful to have (1) told another person face to face that I had a problem and (2) received a compassionate response and medical support.

Whatever additional course you choose to take, my best advice is to keep an open mind and keep trying until you find the best solution for you.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. I remember thinking I might have a problem, when I'd make up reasons to stay home and drink. You're in a good place for support and information.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I know I'm in the right place. I want to try just one more time to do this on my own. I know the warning signs of needing emergency help through reading the threads here.

I have ADHD and my mind tends to bounce around a lot, hence I get bored easily. My main problem when I was a week sober was filling my time as I have no friends close by and my work requires me to travel constantly so I'm often far away from family and friends. Back then I was in the mindset of 'Oh I'll just get sober for this drug and alcohol test and then go back to drinking.' I should have quit while I was ahead.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Hi! Great time to get the hell out, before you progress to physical dependency.

Since you've been drinking heavily a long time, it's important to talk to a doc and make sure you're in good health, and that it's safe for you to stop. (This can be dangerous if you're physically dependent...which it doesn't sound like you are but better safe than sorry.)

Then, develop a "plan" very much like the one those of us who are physically dependent have. Analyze the times of day, circumstances, environments in which you drink, and start figuring out how to either avoid those situations or to handle them without drinking.

If boredom is your trigger, try some other things to occupy you -- video games, reading, blogging, anything at all to keep your brain and hands busy and not pick up a drink. Also start reaching out to find new activities that take you out into the world to meet people who know how to have fun without drinking. You may not like all of them, but give a lot of things a good solid try.

Be patient, because it will take a long time but it'll be worth it and you won't suffer the agony of physical dependency...'cuz trust me, it sucks and hurts an awful lot.

Check out all the posts around here because people share their tips and tricks about how to put the plug in the jug and keep it there. Let us know how it goes, and how we can help support you!
Old 01-17-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been thinking of taking up cooking. I already enjoy it, but I rarely cook a good meal due to often being in hotels or not wanting to go out and pay for all the ingredients to recipes. Funny since I have no problem shelling out cash for alcohol. If I were to taper off my drinking I'd have more money to spend on my new hobby.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

That's a great idea, mukurogirl. Evenings are the toughest time for me and that's what I'm doing now to keep busy and distract myself from any thoughts of drinking. I've made some pretty amazing dishes lately - almost gourmet stuff. The best thing about it is that I can afford some of the exotic ingredients I've been using because I'm no longer spending my money on booze! Cook healthy stuff, make enough for leftovers, and just enjoy. Cleaning up afterwards also fills up the time.

Like you, I drank to a good extent because I was bored. When you find enjoyable things to fill up the time instead of drinking, you'll find that you think about it less and less. Glad you are with us!
Old 01-17-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That sounds so inspirational. I've always wanted to make gourmet meals! I'm making a plan not to quit cold turkey, but I do want to set boundaries. Alcoholism doesn't seem that different from smoking and I've seen my family members make significant progress setting small goals when it comes to that.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on your decision to get sober. With the help of this site I got sober for good six years ago and my life is better than ever.

I second the idea of seeing your doctor for medical help in getting thru withdrawal. Alcohol w/d can be dangerous and you should be careful and safe while doing it.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you, mukurogirl. I'm glad you've decided to take a look at what alcohol is doing to your life. You're wise to pay attention to those warning signs.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I don't think I'm physically dependent on it yet.

The key word is "yet." Alcoholism is progressive, it only gets worse.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm definitely going to be implementing some changes in my life. Thank you to everyone here for your support. You'll hear more from me in the future. Whether it's good or bad news.