Notices

Codeine for toothache. Should I take it?

Old 01-17-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codeine for toothache. Should I take it?

Amongst the Special warnings and precautions for use is listed: Drug abuse or dependence (including alcoholism).

Am I okay to take them if just as advised, or should I steer clear?

My tooth is painful and can't call to try to get an appointment til tomorrow. As I'm in the UK the appointment could be a long time coming.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Back in the late 1980's my neighbor owned a dental practice and our families were good friends, I had wisdom teeth pulled and had what she called a dry socket, she said in her opinion the pain was like giving birth, she brought me clove oil, you can get it at any drug store here, Walmart etc. I swear by this stuff, only use a little and try to not swallow it, it's amazing stuff that in my case killed the pain within seconds.

I tend to stay clear of offering advice on addictive drugs and taking them as we are all different and I am not a doctor nor do I know your history, clove oil however is safe.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was also going to suggest clove oil. You can get it from Boots, Superdrug or other chemists - either in the first aid section or ask at the pharmacy counter.

I used to have to have dental treatment without any anaesthetic (don't ask!) and I found deep breathing pain management techniques really helped. You might be able to find a technique that would help if you google.

Also, putting something cold against your jaw. A cold gel pack, pack of frozen peas or a hot water bottle with ice and water in it. Don't make it too cold, just cool. You might need to wrap a tea towel around to reduce the iciness.

Sometimes warmth helps instead, or applying gentle pressure. Try things out and you might be able to relieve a lot of the pain.

Hope you can get an appointment soon.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zeroine View Post

Hope you can get an appointment soon.
Me too - thankfully as part of my Step 9 in AA I paid off an old bill last year, so that's one thing I can be grateful for eh.

Clove oil it is
Old 01-17-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

When I've had problems in the past, even if the dentist couldn't get me in right away , he make sure to get me started on an antibiotic right away , calming down the infection and reducing swelling around the nerves is the trick, pain meds just mask the pain , the swelling is the 'thing'. Hope you get in soon.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
When I've had problems in the past, even if the dentist couldn't get me in right away , he make sure to get me started on an antibiotic right away , calming down the infection and reducing swelling around the nerves is the trick, pain meds just mask the pain , the swelling is the 'thing'. Hope you get in soon.
^^ this
Old 01-17-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Ibuprofen is my go to pain reliever - it's remarkable how well some of the basic otc's work. When on the other side, I took advantage of every ache and pain - especially teeth - to drink& drug.

Good for you on throwing up the caution sign. The dental stuff is soooo debilitating, ouch......
Old 01-17-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
... When on the other side, I took advantage of every ache and pain - especially teeth - to drink& drug.

Good for you on throwing up the caution sign. The dental stuff is soooo debilitating, ouch......
Haha - yes - it would have been an excuse for a neat-spirit weekend before, for 'medicinal' reasons.

My head wasn't feeling 'right' with the codine - maybe just imagined or coincidence but prefer to be clear-headed nowadays. And am doing a main share at my home group meeting tonight, so don't want fog-head, The pain would be preferable.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No one can answer this question for you.

Dental work- I've done it with and without painkillers.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Beccy,

Codeine messed with my head a little. I try and steer clear of anything that changes the way I feel, but sometimes needs must, and many people I know have had to take far stronger for pain when needed and been ok.

I take a mix of ibroprofen and paracetamol if I need to. I've had to take Diazepam for severe pain but talked to my sponsor about it and was fine.

Good luck with your share, and I hope you can get an appointment soon xx
Old 01-17-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Only you can answer your question for yourself, but my experience with severe pain after dental work a couple months ago was, it was triggering and the old addict voice started yakking in my ear about how alcohol would help. I didn't listen, but it was an extra annoyance on top of the pain. I had no options other than aspirin, that didn't help much, so the next day I got a scrip for norcos that did help and were not the least bit triggering. But I've never gotten "high" from opiates, and I never liked the side effects, so it was no big deal for me - just medicine.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think I've chipped a filling so mostly just very sensitive to cold (and hot) so not great being out and about breathing cold air like yesterday. The lady in the pharmacy sold them to me saying they'd give more relief that the ibuprofen I was buying and I must admit I thought no more about it til I got kind of heavy-headed (non technological phrase) today. I've got some clove oil now so hopefully that'll do the trick. It's not like I was intending on snogging anyone anyhow
Old 01-17-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
quat

Hope the tooth simmers down soon enough, but let's not discount the snogging
Old 01-17-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I also don't feel right on Codeine.

Hope you will get your appointment sooner than you fear, and that the share goes well.

You are a special person, thanks for all you do.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Dropsie - just off now xx
Old 01-17-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The decision on what is suitable to take might depend on whether there are addictions other than alcohol. For my self as an alcoholic only, I would have no problem in taking medication for pain relief. In fact I have found that such medications, which I have only had to take on one or two occasions in over thirty years, work very well with just minimal use. I seem to be more responsive so I can get away with less, or milder pain killers than when I was drinking.

The one drug I would avoid is morphine. Not from an addiction point of view but because it has that knock out effect which I absolutely detest about that kind of drug. I hate the way it has taken people out of the world before they are ready to go.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Haha. Mentioned it to my sponsor.

My sponsor's eyebrows. They say NO!!
Old 01-17-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ah Beccy I hope you feel better soon.....Toothache is seriously awful yuck!

I can't offer advice to whether to use painkillers but I'm interested in all the responses so far as last time I went to the dentist for a root canal I found out that I have somehow developed an anaphylactic reaction to local anaesthetic... (after many years???) Don't want to have to have a GA every filling or root canal I have!!!
Old 01-17-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the pain Beccy.

I found ibuprofen works pretty well with teeth...never tried clove oil but you could even try a sensitive toothpaste just to try and dull the area a little until it can get fixed

but my main advice is to get into a dentist as soon as you can - let them know you're in pain - they usually have some emergency contingencies

D