Notices

Cut down drastically, can't quit completely

Old 11-24-2019, 07:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I used to binge drink which meant I went for periods of time without drinking. Sometimes I went out to the bar 2 times a week and at others, I might not touch alcohol for up to 3 months because I didn't feel like drinking. Ive come to find out that this type of drinking is still a disorder and makes the addiction get stronger over time. I thought I didn't have a problem because I was not drinking every day.

What I've also found out is that a lot of my emotional struggles during that time , when I wasn't drinking, were due to Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms.

What happened was I eventually began drinking more than one night and this went into the next day and this also became several days. I also moved beyond simple beers at the bars to taking shots and finally just drinking vodka for days because I was desperately trying to avoid the massive hangover and sickness and emotional crash i knew was going to come whenever I stopped.

Also, for me there was a tipping point that I didn't realize I had reached so the addiction progressed very fast and almost out of control. I went from drinking beers the next day to drinking vodka for 4 days in a row in less than a year. Binges were 4 to 6 weeks apart but last much longer and were far more intense and out of control.

I used to think I could control it with different strategies, more exercise, better eating, more sleep and even with a more macho attitude. none of that worked.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm doing a lot better now than when I started this thread. I had about a year and a half sober starting in January 2016, mostly thanks to the advice I got from this website. I've had a few slips since then, but nothing as bad as before, and I'm sober again now.

Thanks for the posts.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to get an update Jack - I'm glad you're committed to recovery again

D
Old 11-24-2019, 07:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Oh, and I haven't had one of those awful intense cravings that I talked about in the original post for a very long time. I certainly don't miss those!
Old 11-25-2019, 02:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Jack, nice to hear from you after SoberRican resurrected this old thread. Good to hear that you are doing better.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jack465 View Post
I'm doing a lot better now than when I started this thread. I had about a year and a half sober starting in January 2016, mostly thanks to the advice I got from this website. I've had a few slips since then, but nothing as bad as before, and I'm sober again now.

Thanks for the posts.
Have you decided to be sober - permanently? That's what it takes.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks for the posts.
Glad to hear it Jack. I too found a lifeline in SR - don't be a stranger.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Have you decided to be sober - permanently? That's what it takes.
Yeah, I think I have. I had a lot of issues that were causing me to want to drink that I needed to work on, but I think I've fixed most, if not all of them now. So it should be smooth sailing from now on.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words everyone, and I agree that it would probably be a good idea for me to post here more often, to help try and avoid any more mishaps in the future. But I'm definitely doing better now than when I first came to this site.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jack

I don't want to take away from your achievement at but I gotta say man - but sometimes I was able to fool myself that I was doing better so its ok to stop there?

don't fall for that line if you heard it in your head.

The trouble with that is each and every time I've started doing better, I 'got worse' again.

There is no controlling this thing if you're a drinker like me.

Sometimes I had good luck, or sometimes specific factors helped me stay sober for a little while...new job, new relationship, really bad binge, health fears... btu I always got worse again.

IMO The only real way to deal with a problem like ours - and be sure of success - is to not drink at all, ever.

D
Old 11-25-2019, 11:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. You're right. I realized after I made those posts above that it probably sounds like I'm trying to leave the door open to drinking, which is obviously not acceptable.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
sober style

Just because you haven't yet doesn't mean you can't! Far from it. You're working out the kinks in your sobriety, keep working on it. We're all capable of a lot more than we know. Keeping coming back as they say.

And I guarantee you that real sobriety, living completely free from the poison's clutches, is way better than what you have now.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:58 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Yeah, I think I have. I had a lot of issues that were causing me to want to drink that I needed to work on, but I think I've fixed most, if not all of them now. So it should be smooth sailing from now on.
Look at changing this thinking - because life isn't always smooth sailing, so just because we don't drink it doesn't become that way.

What are going for a recovery program, like the suggestions Dee made?
AA saved my life - and at 3yr9 I still work an active program, go to 4-6 mtgs a week, etc.

Hope you seize this time and keep going, sober and well.