Notices

71 Days Sober-All For Not???!!!

Old 09-14-2004, 05:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Mostly Sunny Skies

You've been sober 98.6% of the time for 72 days!

Hi Suckerpunched,

Look at it this way -- you've been sober 71 out of the last 72 days. That means that you've been sober 98.6% of the time for the past 72 days!

If you took the 72 days before that, what would your percentage have been? Quite an improvement, I'd say.

I don't take this lightly, but each screwup is actually a good learning experience for me. You did better than me on my last slipup. It took me about four days to come to my senses. That was about a month ago.

A long time ago I quit counting the days. I find that too depressing after a slipup. But I do know that I've been sober for about a 1000 days, except for maybe 15 to 20 days. That means I've been sober about 98% of the time in the past three years. I figure that's not too bad.

Even though I screw up now and then, I know I'll make it. Enough safeguards are in place, and it is only when I manage to let myself slip by a whole bunch of them that I get in trouble for a little while. When I do slip up, I try to put up more safe guards so that I can't repeat the last stupid mistake.

Over the past five to six years, we've dumped many of our old friends who couldn't live without the bottle -- or else they too have quit. Many were friends for over 25 years. Many are still in the bottle. We no longer socialize with people who drink. It's not fun, and it's not healthy.

Most of the close friends we now have either never did drink very much, or they are my mentors. We keep no alcohol in the house. When we are where alcohol is being served, we are also amongst friends like my mentors, and we keep an eye on each other. There is definite strength in numbers, especially when we are all drinking diet soda, or tea, or coffee.

I do religiously keep a daily diary of my feelings, my cravings, my victories, my slipups. It is good to read the old entries now and then.

Don't beat yourself up over this. Use it as a lesson.

Toivo