Notices

just got done detoxing..5 DAYS SOBER!!

Old 09-12-2004, 02:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just got done detoxing..5 DAYS SOBER!!

well i finally got out of detox and im done with my withdralws!! im now 5 days sober and going strong. i went out to a party tonight and it was so hard to turn that beer down but i never ever wanted to go through that hell of a withdrawl again, if people could just put their faith in me it would help me to stay strong so please pray for me!
thank all luv ya
mary
Old 09-12-2004, 04:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you Mary! Congrats on the 5 days sober.

May I ask though..if you just got done with detox,why go to a party so soon?
I mean its good that you turned down the beer...but why put yourself through that so soon??
Praying for you!
Old 09-12-2004, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Morning Mary,
Good move, going through detox. Just one suggestion. Try an AA meeting and tell the people there what you've said here on the board. Ask for help to not drink any more and then try what they suggest. You don't ever have to pick up another drink again as long as you live....."if you do whatever it takes to not pick up." Question: Do you know what to do to not pick up again?? People in AA with some sobriety know the answer to that questioin. Pick their brains and just do what they do.

Take care and keep us posted.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Mary-

Welcome!!! Yea remembering my last hang over and detox works wonders for my soberiety. I am with boop why put yourself in harms way?
Old 09-12-2004, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hello Mary--Welcome to SR. Congratulations on getting through detox. That is great. However, I am with the others here who question why you would go to a party where there would be drinking so soon into your recovery? I have over six months sober and I will not put myself in harms way unless there is a REALLY GOOD reason....and even then I make sure I tell my sponsor what I am doing, take a support person if possible, have a plan in case the urge should strike, etc.

Hang in there--
Old 09-12-2004, 08:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by MaryP
if people could just put their faith in me it would help me to stay strong so please pray for me!
And if you also put faith in yourself, in the power you have to make a choice, like you did at the party, you're even further ahead! Congratulations for a great beginning Mary.
You can absolutely stay sober today. I know it
Old 09-12-2004, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Ditto what Dan said....... put faith in yourself. I'll be sending good vibes your direction tho

I'm with the others who think maybe going to a party so soon after detox was not a good plan. However you didn't drink!

Big congrats on day 5! :
Old 09-12-2004, 11:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Congrats Mary! We've got a ton of faith around here! Stick around!
Old 09-12-2004, 12:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hey Mary,
Congratulations on successfully finishing detox. That's so awesome! You must have learned a lot there to get through a party too. So, glad you're here and I agree with the previous posts that say you're on the right track and going strong and that you can do it with your positive attitude. Please guard your sobriety with everything you've got; because without it, you really don't have anything. Peace to you as you continue on your journey. You have my full support and prayers.
Sandy
Old 09-13-2004, 12:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks all! well day 6 and i didnt drink either. i guess i can understand why i shouldnt go to a party where theres booze but im strong and i have friends who have my back 100% on this. i go to a huge drinking school and in fact, when peers on my campus heard that im clean they came to me with questions on how to stop because it was ruining their lives. i felt so happy to help them out and it just keeps the cravings out of my head. thanks all for your love and ill keep strong!
peace
mary
Old 09-13-2004, 02:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mary,
That wonderful that you think you are strong enough to go out to parties.
I couldnt have done that at all.Please just dont let yourself get caught up in the whole thing! And get back into the influence of the rest.

Congrats on day 6!
Old 09-13-2004, 02:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrat on day 6. I have been sober some time now and try to avoid drinking places. Recently went to a wedding and found that very hard. For me it is not a case of my strength. In all other matters I have considerable self discipline and determination but when it comes to alcohol all my resove can melt away. That is why I rely on the fellowship of AA and the 12 steps to help keep me sober.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Basically the only thing keeping me sober is the fact that i do not ever want to ever have to go through a terrible withdrawl again! Thats enough for me to say no to a drink whenever i want.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Monica

Mary
I to want to say crongrats on day 6!! You sould be proud. I'm also new in recovery (day 8 today) and I feel so much better. There is one thing I want to say I did forget about the pain as time went on, and i used! I ask alot of questions and get alot of advice the thing that really helped me was Never go with your 1st thought, and play the whole tape through. As time passes you'll forget about the pain, (if we didn't we wouldn't have more that 1 kid) You'll find other reasons not to pick up. Keep talking to people and remember if its not in arms reach you can't pick it up......
Monica
Old 09-13-2004, 12:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

mary,

these first few weeks are precious and i am so proud of you for what you are doing. i have 11 months. i am getting married soon and it was hard for me to tell my family which like to drink that there will be no alchol at our wedding. I got well cant you just not pick up and drink. they dont get it. this is not about will power that is why i run here to AA/NA and the fellowship for compassion and understanding. we are here for you and for others so hang in there and best thing is dont go where there is alchol. you are strong enough to stay here in recovery
Old 09-14-2004, 09:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your love, im still sober and i havent felt good like this in a while. its a great feeling. when i used to drink i used to turn into what i can only call a monster. i was mean to everyone i loved or cared about and now that im sober my friend told me that he didnt want to be around me when i drank, but now that he saw that i wanted to put school first he has mad respect for me. and you know what? people telling me things like that keeps me sober. it makes me proud of anyone that can realize that they didnt have control of their life and needed help. you all are so nice and thank you for your support!if any of yall need any support/help im ur girl.
peace
mary
Old 09-14-2004, 11:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Originally Posted by MaryP
Basically the only thing keeping me sober is the fact that i do not ever want to ever have to go through a terrible withdrawl again! Thats enough for me to say no to a drink whenever i want.
Congratulations on putting together a few more days of sobriety. Be careful about relying only on your memories of your last drunk to keep you sober. Sooner or later those memories WILL fade away. Then what tools will you use? I am not trying to sound harsh, I just hope that all alcoholics with a desire to stop drinking can find a way to lead a happy, joyous and free life without alcohol.

Hugs--
Old 09-14-2004, 11:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

college parties

Hey Mary,
My name's Lindsey, fellow student here, from UW Madison. A whole 6 days sober for me. I know what you mean about ppl coming up to you and asking how you do it. Its hard for us to imagine a life without alcohol- all college kids party, right? I know I will find myself at parties when I get back next semester. And I'll be happy to volunteer to DD every time. They can support me by telling me not to pick up that first drink, and I can get them home safe. Except for those so-called friends who will say "but you are so fun when you are drunk!", I can actually see it turning out pretty well. I dont have the bad detox experience keeping me from it though. What keeps me from drinking is knowing that I make better decisions sober- I dont have to wake up the next morning and wonder where i was, what i did, and who i might have hurt in the process. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing. I'd encourage you to think more about all the other good reasons you want to stay sober. Not feeling like crap is just the beginning. Stay strong and take it one day at a time! PM me anytime!
Lotsa love,
Lindsey