Notices

Nine months in and today sucks

Old 01-05-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
EJP

Nine months in and today sucks

Today is something like 272 days and for some mysterious reason, I'm feeling sooo depressed.
I'm not going to drink. The urge is not even there. I just feel sad and mopey and unmotivated and pathetic and worthless.

The worst part is, my life is good. It's better than good. I should feel elated at all the things that I'm lucky to have (great career, wife&family, glittery possessions) but that just makes me feel worse.

Maybe it's just one of those days where being sober is enough.... stupid emotions!
Old 01-05-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear it's a blue day, but glad you can still see that your life is good.
We are at the same point (9 months), I have bad days too. I suppose I never expected not to, sober doesn't mean life will be bliss.
Sometimes we feel down and that's part of the ebb and flow. Sometimes we learn something from the down days.
If you really need a jump start, (something that works for me), do something thoughtful for somebody else.
Hope tomorrow feels better.
xx
Old 01-05-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Yep, some daze we just need to get through. I heard many friends say this too shall pass - use to make me mad. Now I pass it on, it's so very true - Especially when I feel good - This too shall pass!

Thanks for the post and great job/congrats on the sober time - stacking up nicely~!!
Old 01-05-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

This too shall pass. There are ups and downs to recovery, you're just in a down period. It will get better.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep, emotions don't always correspond to situation.

I feel like that occasionally too, and sometimes the best I can do is to tell my myself, "You know, sometimes I’m just not going to feel good."

I’ve read all the fine print, and sure enough, I can’t find where it says anything about being guaranteed to feel good all the time in recovery.

Feelings aren’t facts. They pass. And if they don’t, and it bothers me enough, then it’s time to look at what changes I can make in order that I might begin to feel differently.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had ups and downs around 9 months. Then around a year. Then again about 3 months after that.

I take it as growth. Each time it happens and I don't drink I get stronger.Like Fly N Buy and least said, this too shall pass. The good feelings AND the bad feelings.

You're alright. I hope it passes quickly.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I had "milestone" days where I seemed to feel more out of it too - around 3 months/9months/12 months. The holidays and days following can be more stressful/depressing too. Life itself just has up and down days too, but always remember they pass...and things will get better. Glad you aren't drinking or thinking about it too!
Old 01-05-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Maybe it's something a lot of us go through, three years ago I went sober for 2 +/- years and had days like you mention, not very often but they happen and I hear it in meetings from folks with 20 years sobriety.

If it's more than you can bear, talk to your GP as they can help, do whatever it takes to protect your sobriety, also keep in mind this addictive voice we have will also lash out, maybe not telling us to drink right away but I know in my case it works hard at trying to wear me down until it gets control.

All the best
Andrew
Old 01-05-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EJP

Thanks for the support, All.
Im looking forward to a brighter tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I can relate. I just went through some stressful and at times depressing days despite having most of my life in relatively good shape. And I have slightly over a year. Feeling better now, though. Dunno, maybe time to check in with a therapist if it keeps happening. Or maybe that is just how life is for normal people? I don't have any reference point for that since I started drinking in high school.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had episodes of PAWS for awhile, which would last for 2 or 3 days. I actually had one a few months ago, at around one year. I also remember an episode at around 7 months, and a couple earlier. They would last a few days, and then would suddenly be gone. I really hope I am finished with PAWS, but from what I understand it can occur for up to 2 years.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up. I go through this at least once a week. Now I embrace these emotions and force myself out my comfort zone and do something constructive to distract my mind.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Everyone has one of those days it's just us drinkers tend to feel everyday is that day and that we need the medicine to make it feel better after all. But if you feel like the reason is NOT drinking then i'd just drink xD
Old 01-07-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I'll be 9 months sober in 4 days. I know the feelings you've described. I have recovered pretty nicely from where I was 9 months ago but still feel down in the dumps a lot. I figure life is handing me the same things it always did. I just used to drink to ignore it, which made things much worse. We're learning how to live life on life's terms. For a recovering addict, that is often new territory. Hang in there, we're gonna make it!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

OMG! This is how I feel today. I have a great job, new apartment I am moving into in a week etc. Life is going really, really well. So why am I miserable? Ugh...my stupid brain!!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

can we find that place where we are -- truly grateful

Originally Posted by EJP View Post

Maybe it's just one of those days where being sober is enough.
I have had plenty of those types of days in sobriety.
I need to face the facts as they really are.

If I'm not having the best of days but, still not drinking
I will settle for that and be ok with myself for today.

At least I will have a fighting chance for a better day tomorrow.

When I get down like that
I have learned that the best tool that I can use
so as to fight off the oh - poor me
is to get and be truly grateful for the people and things around me.

M-Bob
Old 01-08-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
EJP

Thanks again for the kind support - here it is three days later and I feel so much better.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear it EJP. Some days do just "suck" unfortunately. Being sober makes it SOOO much easier to get through it and feel even better on the other side though, glad you came here for help and glad you made it through.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You're having "one of those days"...... consider yourself lucky to experience "one MORE of those days" SOBER