Notices

Wife and I both seeking help how to detox.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wife and I both seeking help how to detox.

Hello, all.

We are new here. My wife and I are looking for a little advice on how to safely detox. Surfing the web about this event has made us both a bit apprehensive about jumping in. We are both 40 years old and have probably always drank too much. Over the last two years though, the daily shot and a beer has turned into the daily 6-8 shots and a couple beers. This drinking is almost always sandwiched in the after work time, like maybe 4:00 until 8:30. Maybe less before, but this amount/rate has been consistent for at least several months, every day. The knockout blow being a traumatic personal event which we are fighting through which probably put us over the top as far as using alcohol as a medication, and really starting to rely on it for a sense of normalcy. Our mental health is suffering from this as is our physical health. We have two small children who don't deserve alcoholic parents. Neither of us are naive when itr comes to addiction, both of us having been on one side or the other of it for most of our lives. IOW we are going into this aware of the challenges ahead. Our questions are mostly about detoxing. We would like to put together a plan of sorts and write it down and stick to it like our "bible". The end result of course being alcohol free. We feel like we need to taper. I want to be free quickly but am nervous about withdrawal. I would like to taper gradually, but then IDK if I would be dragging out the suffering of the initial withdrawal period longer than necessary. Does anyone have any advice on a plan we could use or consider as a draft of our exit strategy?
Old 12-28-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR. I applaud your choice to get sober.

I understand the concern you have with withdrawals. But I don't know if tapering is the answer. For alcoholics, it's the first drink that leads to trouble. You may intend to only have a set number of drinks, but whose to stop you if you decide more is needed?

It would be one thing if the tapering were controlled (by someone who didn't drink) and maintained. But if we could "control" our drinking, it's doubtful we'd be here.

I suggest you and your wife see a doctor, be honest about your drinking and desire to stop, and see if you can detox with medical supervision and meds to help with withdrawals.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR chili and congrats on making a great decision! Regarding tapering or withdrawals, you really need to consult with a doctor as it can be potentially dangerous. Tapering is very difficult and most people cannot do it anyway as it's simply another form of moderation, and if you could moderate your drinking you wouldn't be here in the first place, right?

Sometimes meds will be prescribed by your doctor if they fear seizures or other things are possible. While rare they are possible along with some other bad things, so it's best to get an overall assessment of your health first before simply stopping.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tapering would be difficult in my view - at least for me. I just quit cold turkey. but I think you are drinking a bit more than I was so it seems like the doctor path suggested by Scott is good advice. Good luck and welcome. I hope doing it together with your spouse makes it easier. My wife and I do AA meetings together and it's helpful. BUT that said spouses under stress can just annoy each other at times so try to keep this in mind when you work through this process with her.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Chillsolid

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 12-28-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you can possibly do it, get your doctor's help to detox just to be safe.