Notices

Day 5 - getting my act together

Old 11-19-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 - getting my act together

I'm on day 5 sober now and until today nothing bothered me as I was caught up in my own stuff but now I am starting to realise that there's a lot more I want and need, I want my ex (although we have a mixed up history, actually beyond mixed up and i don't trust her) i want a car not a bike, I want to go back to work although that means facing everyone who knows I'm an alcoholic which could mean certain questions being asked about my random disappearance a month ago (causing anxiety) I guess I'm done with dwelling and want a fresh start. I don't know how ready I am till I face it all. There's so many people that have stuck by me through this and I caused them hell so sorry isn't enough so it's all a little messed up.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi need

I know it's hard but if you'll take my advice you'll focus on here and now for a while.

Getting sober and staying that way was really hard for me - it needed all my effort for a while.

Once you get that down...in a month or two - then you can start looking at what other things you want to fix...but I think if you try and do everything too soon you're more likely to lose focus, get overwhelmed and you may even lose your recovery.

Try and stay in the day, as they say

D
Old 11-19-2015, 11:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say welcome! Another person with my same sober date. It's OUR turn to beat this.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi need

I know it's hard but if you'll take my advice you'll focus on here and now for a while.

Getting sober and staying that way was really hard for me - it needed all my effort for a while.

Once you get that down...in a month or two - then you can start looking at what other things you want to fix...but I think if you try and do everything too soon you're more likely to lose focus, get overwhelmed and you may even lose your recovery.

Try and stay in the day, as they say

D
I know dee but when I'm well or should I say better I don't like to sit around all day in the house thinking of all the things I have to fix and sort out. I have more energy now then I have in days.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badger257 View Post
Just wanted to say welcome! Another person with my same sober date. It's OUR turn to beat this.
We came, we saw, we conquered
Old 11-20-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Hi need, as alkies we're used to instant gratification. As soon as that alcohol hits or system we got what we were looking for. Real life doesn't work that way. The hardest thing for me to learn, I'm still working on it, is patience. Just take a day at a time. Then when you look back and see how far you've come you'll say "wow, that seems like yesterday". Looking forward though is a different story. It seems like it'll never get here. So be patient and keep working on sobriety and yourself. You'll eventually get to where you want to be.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alcoholics and addicts are an easy target so I can understand your apprehension about going back to work. But if you remain sober, you will remove the target off of your back, hold your head high, and move forward with your life. Wish you the best.