Notices

Zero motivation today

Old 11-18-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Zero motivation today

I'm on day 13 having made it through the weekend and early part of this week but I've got absolutely no motivation to do anything today. I can barely crack a smile even.

I know it's still early day but I'm struggling a bit today - I can hear the AV whispering sweet nothings into my ear.

I've got a day off work tomorrow so I'll need to keep myself super occupied to keep the voices at bay - I'd normally start drinking by 3:30 - 4pm on a day off (earlier than my normal 6pm start time).

I'm sat at work and can't drum up the enthusiasm do work, talk or even prepare my lunch.

Bit of a moany post, I know but felt like having a bit of a moan to pass the time.

Just feels like I don't have anything to look forward to at the moment.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

These kinds of feelings come and go thankfully. I felt I was wondering aimlessly when I first sobered up it passed I'd try and find something to occupy my mind. Though as time went on I started to also enjoy not having anything occupy my mind as well.

It does get better the hang in there
Old 11-18-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats pretty normal - not drinking can bring passing feelings of loss, even grief...and with our bodies and minds recuperating, it can take a while to find a constant emotional level.

Try not to let it get to you - chances are you'll feel much better tomorrow - this is not as good as it gets kr1s )
Old 11-18-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Kr1s, first of all, congrats on 13 days sober!

What you're feeling is normal. The important thing is to keep yourself occupied. Watch TV, read a book, go for a walk, treat yourself to a nice dinner, talk with a friend, hang out here at SR...these are just some of the things that I did for the first few months of my sobriety. In time, you'll find a whole new world of possibilities opening up, things you can't even imagine now. But, they only start happening when your mind and body heal. Trust me, it WILL get better, but you have to be proactive and make recovery your #1 priority, especially in the first few days/weeks/months.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks zjw - I'll try and snap out of it.

Soooo tired at the moment also - finding it really hard to get out of bed in the mornings.

Strangely - I feel more tired now than when I was drinking heavily.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone - hopefully it will pass soon
Old 11-18-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

if we stay away from the drink -- not long before they are smiling

Originally Posted by Kr1s View Post

I'm on day 13 having made it through the weekend and early part of this week but I've got absolutely no motivation to do anything today.

Just feels like I don't have anything to look forward to at the moment.
I sure didn't want to do anything (except not drink) for a long time in my early sobriety. Didn't even walk out the dirt driveway to get the mail for a while -- long while. My case was extreme, probably because I had relapsed in a terrible way and hit my head in an accident ? Or the many years of drinking had finally caught up with me ?

Things got much better in time and for most I see who sober up, it is not long before they are smiling.

MB
Old 11-18-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there. These moods pass.

I'm like you. I can wake up first thing in the morning and crave a drink. What? Not always, thank God, but it happens. I know it will pass, it always does. I was thinking last night when I went to bed 'GAWD my life is boring'. And it is right now. But I remind myself that I'm recovering, and the first year is tough. I can choose not to be bored by getting involved in something, but I just don't want to. SO dull it is.

This too shall pass.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah more tired sounds about right. body is finally getting the recovery it needs etc..

I always had this feeling like i had to have something going on all the time either drinking or busy with something always had to have something to look forward too or be angry about and drink over etc.. This feeling for me was my life revolving around a drink. I took the drink away and it was like now what?

The upside is you get to figure out what it is that makes you tick. what it is that you like to do with your time without being held back by booze IE i cant do that now i'm drinking I cant drive now im drunk I cant this i'm too hung over etc... its a lot of free healthy time all the sudden and can be tough to figure out how to fill in those blanks.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

I like the saying "what did we do before the internet?" the same could be asked for alcoholics "what the heck did i do before i drank?"
Old 11-18-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There's good days and bad days, and this shall pass. Maybe you can make yourself an agenda/itinerary for tomorrow to give you some more structure and motivation to get things done? Maybe schedule something fun you've never done before or haven't done for a really long time to change things up a bit?
Old 11-18-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
tea enthusiast

one thing I find that works - is that if you crave alcohol, go and make your self a cup of tea or coffee.
I often find that even if i might not fancy one, as soon as I start drinking it, the craving goes away, and I actually enjoy the tea/coffee!- and if it's a tea like green or white, I'm even happier as those are really good for you!
Old 11-18-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Chamomile helps me
Old 12-11-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I quit about 4.5 months ago and I am just starting to enjoy not doing anything. I want to be motivated but I'm not right now. I think it is just part of the recovery like anxiety and depression, for me. I've never played those online multi-player games but the next couple months might be a great time for me to start. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 12-11-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on 13 days...keep it up.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Wait, you don't drink, right?