Notices

Day 3 and struggling

Old 11-18-2015, 01:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 and struggling

Been sober for 3 days now and struggling with the big change. Been binge drinking for about a month. It's the reality I'm struggling with, I have so much time on my hands and am still getting withdrawals, still find myself reaching for an imaginary bottle
Old 11-18-2015, 01:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You could do worse than really throwing yourself into this community need - it helps to pass the time - you can ask for help yourself and help others too.

Have you checked out our Class of November support thread at all?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-9.html

Lots of folks there - some at similar points to you...support really helps

D
Old 11-18-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You could do worse than really throwing yourself into this community need - it helps to pass the time - you can ask for help yourself and help others too.

Have you checked out our Class of November support thread at all?

Lots of folks there - some at similar points to you...support really helps

D
I'm been on here a while just normally in the chatroom. I'm detoxing at the moment, it's going to take time. I got the medication I need it's just the battles only half won. Lost my job and almost my friends over all this. Got a lot of making up to do

Last edited by Need27; 11-18-2015 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Missed a word out
Old 11-18-2015, 01:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well - welcome to Newcomers forum.

I might be biased but I think the support here is every bit as good as the chatroom
Old 11-18-2015, 01:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Well - welcome to Newcomers forum.

I might be biased but I think the support here is every bit as good as the chatroom
I agree as people are hardly ever on the chatroom anyway
Old 11-18-2015, 01:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate. I binge drank for twenty years. The fourth day was the hardest for me while withdrawing. Felt better, hangover finally gone and 'Hey I can drink like a normal person'.
There was no reality for me. I was either drunk or recovering. I guess that was my warped reality. What a way to live. I wasn't really alive anyway, I was a zombie. Drinking to live and living to drink. If I didn't have a drink in my hand, I was thinking about one.

Unfortunately for me, alcoholism is progressive and I began to drink every day. All day.
But that's another story.
As for the time on your hands, have you considered AA or another recovery program? As mentioned above, coming here is a great use of time.
Once you get some sober time, and I hope you do, there won't be enough time in the day for things to do. Come on back and join the human race.
Volunteer, develop a hobby, start a diary.
There is life after drinking. Stay sober and I guarantee you'll find it.
Best to you.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Need27 View Post
I'm been on here a while just normally in the chatroom. I'm detoxing at the moment, it's going to take time. I got the medication I need it's just the battles only half won. Lost my job and almost my friends over all this. Got a lot of making up to do
Hi Need, well done yo are doing great, please dont let the regrets of the past turn you back to the bottle "you are not your disease"
The real you will shine through when you get sober, as alkies and addicts we want everything fixed right now, same as when we are drinking, want it now and want more and more.
If you stay away from alcohol there are endless possibilities for you, time is a great healer, the cravings will become less frequent and your friends and ability to work will come back to you.
Would you try going to a local AA meeting and sit and listen, you will be among people who understand.
Eventually you will get a sponsor who will guide you through the twelve steps and help you make amends to those who you have hurt.
If like me your friends and family are sick and tired of you saying "I'm sorry, I promise I wont do it again" and the same thing happens again the following day then you need to give time time and put a little action into it. ie AA meetings.
This is a killer disease and cannot be achieved by yourself only, take all the free help out there and believe me there is lots of it once you reach out.
Start by picking up the phone and ring the AA hotline and just have a chat.
Try not to isolate as this feeds into your addiction, if you dont talk it out you'll drink it out.
I wish you the best my friend and keep posting, let us know how you are doing.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

3 days is awesome! You will feel better incrementally with each passing day (my exp. anyway). I find it important to post something every day, maybe even in the same thread and scroll back once in awhile to see my progress. Yes, responses (atta-boys) and thankseses do help but in the end I gotta Know I am doing the right thing. So far you and I are--don't drink no-matter-what and hang with those doing the same. Simple but sometimes minutes seem like days..... And then it's morning again...Life Is fair.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'll do my best to elaborate

All I can say is I've hurt everything in my life with this devil juice. It's made me sick everyday, I've been to hospital twice, that's how I've kicked it this time. Was so dehydrated and put on drips, heart monitors for my heart pounding out my chest due to not detoxing and dehydration. It's a killer. I don't advice anyone to touch it
Old 11-18-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Need27 View Post
All I can say is I've hurt everything in my life with this devil juice. It's made me sick everyday, I've been to hospital twice, that's how I've kicked it this time. Was so dehydrated and put on drips, heart monitors for my heart pounding out my chest due to not detoxing and dehydration. It's a killer. I don't advice anyone to touch it
There is no rockbottom to this disease, I myself feel your pain, Only last week I was released from hospital over drink, you will start to feel and look better in the next few days, your loved ones you hurt will come back to you in time once they see you making an effort.
Good luck my friend.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Need27 :

Three days to a great new beginning!
Stay busy, it makes the time go easier,

Cheers
Old 11-18-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Its not easy mate. You gotta wanna do it for yourself. Else it will be an endless cycle. Quit or don't strictly up to you.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I, too, am starting day 3, after many years of trying. I keep getting to a point where I think I can handle it,but obviously cannot. Let's stick together through this
Old 11-18-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The first few days are always the worst physically. Glad you got some medical help too Need27, things should start improving soon. Regarding "making up" for the past, don't worry so much about all that now. Living sober itself can do a lot for your pride and help to regain the trust of others, but it takes time.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Stigma

One thing I dislike depending on which hospital you go to is that some nurses hate treating alcoholics because they don't understand that sometimes I do want to pop out for a cigarette, what do they expect I'm going through hell. I've heard them say "if he's that un well then why is he going outside". There's a big difference in understanding there but they aren't all like that. It is an illness we just don't all have money or are able to get into detox.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
The first few days are always the worst physically. Glad you got some medical help too Need27, things should start improving soon. Regarding "making up" for the past, don't worry so much about all that now. Living sober itself can do a lot for your pride and help to regain the trust of others, but it takes time.
Yeah I'm gradually getting my energy back but still a little in steady on my feet. Friends do want to see me but I got two more weeks of Librium left and I don't want to see them till I'm better although I care. I can't drink ever again while my liver is still repairable
Old 11-18-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Check in Need, how are you doing????
Old 11-19-2015, 12:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paddyjnr1 View Post
Check in Need, how are you doing????
Still sober and hoping to stay that way
Old 11-19-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on your sober time Need