Notices

Chest pain

Old 06-23-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chest pain

Hi all,

I have been reducing my wine intake a lot recently. No drinking during week but binge at weekends about 1 to 1 /2 bottles of wine. Yesterday I woke up very anxious and after a few hours couldn't breathe. Took dizapem as suffer anxiety. Called Dr out who thinks I pulled muscle in neck and prescribed tramadol and anti inflammatory. Took a tramadol last night made me sick and gave me headache. Took another diazepam before bed and slept ok. Today thou I have a pain in my left side chest when I take a deep breathe and I can lie on left side as hurts.

Any ideas!
Old 06-23-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Chest pain should always be seen by a doctor. Get to your doctor or the ER. We cannot diagnose illness and chest pain can be serious.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Def see a Dr bud
Old 06-23-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Could be a number of things, Tumble.

Please call your Doctor and let him know what's going on.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Lots of good advice here Tumble, chest pains = see a doctor. Mixing meds with a couple bottles of wine is a very dangerous combo as well, please share your drinking with your doctor too.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wasn't drinking with the meds. Dr know about drinking as said been cutting down lots. Sunday at 9 pm was my last drink.

Have phoned Dr who sure it's a muscle thing and to leave for a few days to see what happen!

Great help as I suffer from health anxiety.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tumble, I hope you feel better.

I'm happy you checked in with your Doctor.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Still hurts and can't remember doing anything to hurt it there.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Hi Tumble.

I had a similar experience that sent me to the ER. It wound up being a combination of gastritis and a pulled muscle. I was very sick and very scared.

I was also, at the time, drastically cutting down my drinking, but still drank excessively at least once a week.

Wine was my poison of choice as well. Usually 1.5 to 2 bottles.

I really hope you consider stopping for good.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don't mess around with chest pain. Trust me. I know from experience. See your doc. Always better to be safe than sorry!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have had chest pain during my early sobriety -- 4 months so far. It was much worse early on, and seems to be gradually fading away, at least I hope so.

I went to the ER and they found nothing. Then went to a cardiologist to do a treadmill stress test, and they said I was fine and actually lasted longer than a couple of cops who had been in earlier that day for their annual certification! So basically there is nothing wrong with my heart/arteries.

Mine actually goes away with exercise and distraction, and also when I take relaxing things like magnesium, passion flower tea, etc. and is exacerbated by things like caffeine. So in my case I think it's related to neurotransmitter imbalance due to PAWS. Also seems to flare up worse when I eat greasy or spicy food, so there is also a gastro component to it. I think nerves and gastro issues often go hand-in-hand, though.

So my advice follows the others; to get checked out by a real good doctor for anything chest pain related just to make sure. But odds are that if you've just quit drinking or are tapering down, it could be nerves or gastro. Oh, and BTW my chest discomfort is always on the left side, too.

From the reading I was doing, the majority of chest pain cases in the ER turn out to be not cardiac related.