Notices

Reminder

Old 11-15-2015, 10:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reminder

So, here I am comfortably lazy on the couch. Reading SR. Eating frosted miniwheats out of a coffee mug (a favorite thing. don't ask why). Overall content. Had a weekend that was th perfect balance of relaxation and productivity. Per my (now) usual, no hangovers, waking up happy, etc.

While reading SR on the phone and feeling grateful txt comes through from younger daughter who is in her own house going to college. She asks for advice on how to help her steady boyfreind survive a brutal, all-day hangover. Although the wedding they attended was LAST NIGHT he is shakey and pukey at 11pm today... Just sitting in hell, unable to sleep or eat.

I have multiple feelings all at the same time: grateful my daughter trusts me and that I'm up and sober to respond. Empathy for the suffering young man (I've seen him in this state before. He's eerily similar to myself at his age). I also have a very slightly guilty feeling because I'm So happy I don't personally deal with that shite anymore.

While I talked to her about water, sprite and vitamin B, I thought to myself, "what he really needs is a couple beers."

I had the presence of mind to hold that one back. If he hasn't let that cat out of the bag, I certainly am not gonna.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad I'm not there anymore (the hangovers!) And now that I think back on it, it just seems like such craziness! Why did we do that to ourselves? For a couple of hours of what we thought was fun? (Nah, it wasn't even fun most of the time). It's great that you have that kind of a relationship with your daughter. She's lucky to have you. As for the unlucky young man, I hope he's not heading down the ugly path...

Delfin
Old 11-17-2015, 01:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad them days are behind us
Old 11-18-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Funny about the beers -- that cat certainly left best in bag...
Old 11-18-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm hoping that in time, my oldest daughter will be able to forgive me for my past drinking horror and we too, can be comfortable speaking with one another. At least I do know that she is doing very well in her own life and is a wonderful mom and wife. Very grateful right now.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Glad them days are behind us
That's just what I felt reading this post!

Glad for you and your daughter though.
xx
Old 11-18-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Touching
Old 11-19-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yea...that "hair of the dog" thinking started me drinking 24/7 for 20 years. That cat should always stay in the bag!!
Old 11-19-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Water? Vitamin B? I always went for a super greasy mcdonalds breakfast the next day to keep the squishy feelings away. (and then later of course more drinking) Lol
Old 11-19-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

I do get a certain satisfaction from "those used to be the days", glad for them to stay in the dead past.
And I'm not asking , I get it! Thursday dinner for me is usually a bowl( or who's kidding) two of frosted mini wheats, just the right amount of milk, hey it's Thursday! Yeah